“Good hotel, just not right for us.”

Hotel Derek Houston Galleria
Ranked #115 of 511 Hotels in Houston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Houston, Texas
“Good hotel, just not right for us.”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Planned a tween girls' hotel sleepover here because it is a fun and funky venue. Upscale enough to be a real treat, but not too pricey for mom. From the piped in smell to the rotating laser lights and brightly colored cow-themed furniture in the lobby, it was all a bit too overstimulating for my group of nerdy 12-year-olds. The lobby Starbucks is actually part of the hotel bar - so our bedtime treat of hot drinks had us seated in a loud bar on an weekend night. Again, a bit much for my crowd. Rooms were nice, large and spotlessly clean. Staff was very courteous, but lines were long at check-in and check out. Just not the right venue for our specific event.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Waco, Texas
Reviewed 19 August 2014

must say this was one of the best hotels, from the moment I arrive until departing I was greeted with warm smiles and good service. Jim Carry the concierge gentleman was over the top amazing. I was planning for a special weekend and he had many suggestions and on even a short notice made our weekend by providing chocolate covered strawberries, rose petals, and great evening suggestions. Would definitely return for another weekend getaway... PS.. Pool is awesome and they show movies every night pool side.
The only issues I had during my stay is valet arriving back to pick us up from The Galleria Mall we were told that we would have a 25 minute wait and after 45 minutes we caught a cab. The lady's at the front desk was very apologetics. Hotel also charges for late check out. I am not sure if this is normal for hotels all hotels I have stayed normally give a courtesy late check out if asked.
Still one of the best weekend ever. Thanks Hotel Derek

Room Tip: 1221 room had a view of the Galleria as well as hwy, but not noisy.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Shawn G, General Manager at Hotel Derek Houston Galleria, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
No doubt, Jim is wonderful and we are lucky to have him on our team at Hotel Derek. Loved to hear that you enjoyed the western movies by the Splash Pool. Cant wait to have you back.

Live Well,
Kingwood, TX
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I my wife and I stayed here this past weekend and we're greatly disappointed. There are so many good hotels in the Houston Galleria area that you don't need to experience the same disappointment. They have replaced their fine dining restaurant with a pool table, sandwiches and a Starbucks kiosk. Their front desk personnel is untrained and uncaring. We won't be back and hope to save as many as possible from the same disappointment we experienced. This hotel has really gone downhill.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
Green Features: LOL, this is a joke. They have so much to address that this isn't even a factor.
1 Thank jdmarvin
We appreciate your feedback… Its comments like yours that help us continue evolving into a fun and enjoyable place to stay. While we love the new restaurant concept, giving guests rich southern cuisine with a fun and approaching space, we realize it may not be the ideal spot if your preference is fine dining. Thank you again for your visit and your comments. I would invite you to call on me directly if there is anything that we can do to win you over and have you back for a second experience.

Live Well,

Travellers are raving about these Houston hotels

Reviewed 7 August 2014

I felt I was in Las Vegas. Great decor from the hotel with a party vibe but the staff wasn't friendly. They didn't get my check in time correct so I had to wait. They didn't even thank me for my stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor so you can see the view of the city
Green Features: There were a couple of notices that related to being eco-friendly
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Sean G
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I originally discovered this place because I was on a business trip and this was close to where I needed to be. It was convenient and looked pretty cool. We loved it so much that we returned time and time again...even when our meeting place closed.

So, when I had a leisure trip planned to Houston, I looked to return to the place I think has a cool boutique vibe with lots of personal touches.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank jccarcamo
East Texas
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Hotel Derek is a nice hotel with quirky decor and hip music playing everywhere for the younger movers and shakers age 20-40. I did not see any children on our weekend visit. They have stocked each room with an icebox bar full of beverages for sale and also a tray of candy bars sits on the dresser.. Candy bars are $5. Self parking is 21.95. There are 2 entrances to this hotel...off Westhiemer and another off the freeway feeder. You can walk to Dillard's and the Galleria or take the hotel van. The bed in the room is a mattress sitting on frame built on the floor...no box spring. The bed frame is a SHIN killer...my husband ran into the bed corners about 5 times in the first hour. Not a heavenly bed. The hotel is kept very cool which is great in Texas summers. I liked this hotel OK but prefer to stay IN the Galleria where parking is free and access to shopping/dining is so easy.
Free wifi would drop in/out. Like having NFL network on tv. Heard dog barking off/on. This is a pet friendly hotel.

Room Tip: We chose a room facing downtown Houston away from the freeway. We were on the 7th floor and the vie...
Green Features: Reusing your towels is encouraged. Liked the rain shower head though.
2 Thank Raggedy Ann 2
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Found this hotel on Groupon, what a gem! I really love the hip decor and the little spaces that are designed to sit and have private conversations.The pool is small but tucked into a secluded outdoor "corner" of the hotel, so no direct sun but still an outdoor experience with lovely lounge chaises. The staff are fun and friendly. Everything was clean and kept nice, the only suggestion is to cut back on the fragrance in the lobby - it was a little strong.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family