“Nice hotel”

Ranked #255 of 506 Hotels in Houston
Celestun, Yucatan, mexico
“Nice hotel”
Reviewed 7 June 2012

Great hotel with good service, clean pool and rooms, the only negative is the area, i would not want to walk around this area alone at night

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Malaysia
Reviewed 4 May 2012

I have stayed in many HIE and this is the first time I feel unsafe.
The cleanliness and condition of the room is about the same as other HIE. However the big problem is that the door lock was faulty and it can be opened from outside without needing a key. When I was inside the room, the only security I have is the latch. When I'm not in the room, there's no way to lock the door and anyone could open the door from outside.
Made a complain and the problem was fixed, but only for a day. It was faulty again on the following day. A second complain was made but nothing was done when I came back to my room in the evening.
Check you room door when you check in and insist on changing another room if you have the same problem.

Other than the above problem, this HIE is quite ok... KFC and Denny's are located in short walking distance, just across the street. There's a convenience stall at the Shell petrol station. USD35 taxi from the Galleria. No complimentary of bottle drinking water. WiFi was free and OK. Self service coin base laundry and dryer. Clean and comfortable room... JUST NOT SAFE WITH A FAULTY LOCK!!!

Room Tip: Make sure your door lock is checked upon check in.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank kelvinyam
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 15 June 2012
Dear kelvinyam,

Thank you for staying with us. Guest comfort and safety are of the utmost concern to us and our hotels are committed to making every possible effort to provide a secure environment, and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
Belgrade, Montana
Reviewed 28 March 2012

This Holiday Inn property features the best rates of all the IHG hotels in the Houston area. It's still close enought to down town to be convienient. The hotel is older but has such a good remodel I was fooled into thinking it was a newer hotel. I'm biased toward Holiday Inn's, so I will judge this one based only on others:
Pros
Updated rooms are really pleasant
Upscale lobby spaces
Wonderful complimentary breakfast (closes at 9:30)
Fenced parking lot
Caring owner/manager

Cons
Vagrants freequent the gas station across the street
Southside means farther from the airport
Better rates means if books up quickly

Room Tip: Always ask for a free upgrade to a suite. The breakfast bar closes early (9:30) so don't sleep...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Usa, Japan
Reviewed 26 February 2012

I was rather pleased with the armoire, it gave the room more space when a closet would have stolen square-footage. It was a cool part of winter and we didn't use the AC unit. The main thing I noticed is that the smell of the public rooms downstairs as well as the hallway outside our room and inside the room were pleasant smells. All too often, along the Gulf coast, I find the hotel rooms are stuffy, moldy-smelling, and/or just have yucky smells.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 22 February 2012

Excellent guest service, great rooms, and very good good staff. I have stayed here twice already and on both occasions it was for business purposes. We got moved to a suite because the general manager Krupali Shah was kind enough to do so. The staff is polite and its one of the better Holiday Inn properties that we stayed at. Banking, shopping, recreation is all around the hotel. They give great concierge service as well at the front desk. Anne in paticular was very tolerant with our demands and she alongbwith her team did everything to make ends meet. Thankyou very much for a very pleasurable stay. I look forward to staying here in the near future.

• Stayed January 2012
Reviewed 16 February 2012

My room was clean enough, it just wasn't all that great. This was an older property that a paint job couldn't update. I was bummed that my room didn't have a closet. It had tall box-like cupboards on each side of the TV with 3 hangers apiece. The heater/ac was also old and NOISY so I kept it off (thankfully it was February). So if you get a decent discount it would be OK, just not worth $100.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank PaGuy16830
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed 5 November 2011

You get what you pay for...

The rooms are clean and of good size. The breakfast if adequate and prepared hygienically. The people here are always friendly and courteous but I personally hardly ever have problems with rudeness wherever I go. I guess it's about communication?

When I got into the room it was a little musty. This I think is from the airco. The airco is noisy but at this time of year it's not needed. Turning off the aico solved the problem. One other slight downside is the beds are soft. I like a hard mattress. At least there was a choice of pillows.

For the business traveller - the wifi is pretty good. It's fast, free and stable.

The price was fine for this level of hotel - in fact very reasonable.

What isn't good here? The neighbourhood. It's not really safe outside at night. There is no bar and as the only way to get around here is by car or cab then best to factor that into your stay.

I see a few negative comments about the gym. There are a couple of treadmills and a cross trainer. You could say that this is not a lot. I'd be more tempted to say "you get what you pay for".

All in all pretty standard and adequate.

Would I stay here again? Yes - it's very convenient for where I need to be and as I normally don't have a car then it's a no brainer.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the elevators on the left side of the hotel as you face the entrance (I think t...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business