“Only if you have to”

Ranked #238 of 517 Hotels in Houston
San Francisco, California
“Only if you have to”
Reviewed 10 July 2013 via mobile

With the other Marriott being booked, this was my only option, and what an honor to get a Motel 6 service! Check that, there is no service. Not a pair of slippers or a bathrobe. No bottled water in the room. Hy, the Internet is free, thanks for that! Staff is very friendly, and the room seemed clean, but poorly laid out, with a tiny bathroom and a very small kitchen. I suppose if you're on an extended work trip and don't need to live in the lap of luxury, this place would do just fine...

Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
morgan_gurung, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Houston Northwest, responded to this review, 18 July 2013
Thank you very much for the comment. We appreciate your business. We are sorry for not being able to provide you a pair of slippers and a bathrobe which you normally get it in a full service Marriott property. Being an extended service property, you may have noticed the genuine service from our staffs and a complete kitchenette full of utensils and a dish wash as well as large refrigerator. We are glad to see that you have noticed our staffs being friendly and hospitable and we provide clean rooms to our Guests. As always we appreciate your loyalty to Marriott.

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Reviewed 23 April 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the hotel for two nights. Only a few minor things to write about. One was the noise from the rooms above as it is very easy to hear the people walking on the floor above you. The wait staff is very friendly and helpful for trying to answer questions. My only other thought is if you are allergy sensitive, the fragrance used during cleaning/air freshening is very strong and stays for days in the room.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank DaveA65
morgan_gurung, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Houston Northwest, responded to this review, 1 May 2013
Hello DaveA65,

Thank you for your nice comments about our staffs. We really appreciate your nice feedback. We just have started to use the Febreeze as a room air refreshner which does not leave behind any fragrance smell. We are thankful for your comments because that is what help us to improve.
As always, we appreciate your business and look forward to serving you again in your next visit to Houston North west area.

San Antonio
Reviewed 23 April 2013

Traveling with family? Want a great large studio or suite room with kitchen to save money on restaurants? This is the place!! Rooms are clean, large, and very inviting. Kitchens are completely equipped with utensils and cookware. Stores are nearby for grocery shopping. Complimentary breakfast is excellent and offers selections for any age group. I'd definitely stay here again..

Room Tip: Ask for fourth floor to avoid noise of people above.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Dolphin913
Hello Dolphin913,
Thank you very much for being a loyal guest to Marriott. We really appreciate your business and stay at our property Towneplace Suites Marriott Houston NW. We thank you for describing our property from customer point of view. Our staffs were so amazed to see those nice comments. It does really motivates our associates and we can't wait to serve you again in your future trip to Houston Northwest area.

Alabama
Reviewed 7 February 2013

It will not live up to Marriott standards. Most of the people are nice, have a good attitude, and will try. But they cannot overcome the decisions made by poor management. TV came on during the night, only elevator out of commission for several days, no hot water in bath sink, etc.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
morgan_gurung, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Houston Northwest, responded to this review, 13 February 2013
Hello mr. rnblue,

Thank you very much for your continuous loyalty to Marriott. We really appreciate your business. I am very sorry for the inconvenience you had due to the elevator being out of order and hot water issue due to faulty circulation pump. Although both elevator and circulation pump were fixed but it was a bit too late and we are sorry for the trouble you had. As you may have seen that we do have a great staff and we take pride in what we do everyday. Please do not judge our property based on this incident. Please provide us another opportunity to serve you. In the mean while please contact me in our property and provide us an opportunity to compensate for the inconvenience you had.

St. Louis
Reviewed 13 November 2012

This property is across the street from the HP Houston Campus (the address should be Compaq Center Drive) and is a typical TownePlace Suites. I've looked at several of the other reviews and I really don't know what the others were expecting. Marriott has 3 tiers of long-term stay properties - Residence Inn, Springhill Suites, and TownePlace Suites and all of them feature studio or apartment layouts, LIMITED daily housekeeping, and expanded kitchen features. TownePlace is the most "economical" of the group and it is appointed as such - don't expect the Courtyard next door but you won't pay for it either.

This property has had some upgrades since I last stayed here but could probably use a few more since it has been around for a while. I stayed for a week on an HP rate for an event at their campus and I had no significant complaints. These were the minor glitches that I encountered: the granite kitchen counter and ledge near the coffee maker was filthy when I checked in and I had to clean off the sticky spills, rings, and stuff that nobody caught; the thermostat on the A/C mounted below the window was off by several degrees but it worked fine and was quiet enough; the window screens were torn up so leaving the window open was problematic; and there was some loud music from an adjacent strip mall pub on Thursday night. None of these were deal breakers, the daily towel and bed making service was reliable, the Ba was wiped down each day and the room was otherwise generally clean. I had a 3rd floor room in the South building on the South side so probably avoided any issues that might come from being on the ground floor. It was not noisy other than the Pub on Thursday night.

The staff were quite friendly in the office, I never saw any of the cleaning staff. The Breakfast was typical of what you find at other value chains (cereal, juice, fruit, pastries, etc.) and seemed to be well maintained. Parking was adequate and shares a large area with the adjacent Courtyard. The Courtyard now has their "Bistro" so you can walk next door for food or drink. It's a little farther to walk to the strip mall for other food options and beyond the adjacent highway to reach other restaurants. I think the hotel will shuttle you to nearby restaurants if you don't have a car.

Bottom line is I would stay here again knowing that this is not going to be a full service facility and knowing that it is an "economy" class property. It is very good for the class of property and the relative price.

Room Tip: Rooms facing north (even numbers) are probably quieter and I would avoid the ground floor. Either b...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank WilliamF1776
granite bay
Reviewed 16 September 2012

Stayed here the week of September 9th - for an entire week. Once I saw the red ants the minute I walked into my room (immediately after checking in) - I should've walked right out and checked in at the nearest Hilton.

Ants kept appearing throughout the week. The place was loud, meaning the building is poorly built. I heard every footstep, every door shut and the air conditioning unit and fridge were extremely loud. In order to get some sleep, I finally turned off the air conditioning, which made it tough to sleep because it got warm in my room.

The 4th day, I found giant cockroaches in the bathroom. I am not sure if they were cockroaches, actually - don't care - they were nearly 2 inches long, nasty and had no place in my room.

It poured one day last week, and when a colleague entered his room after a long day at the office, his room was flooded.

This is supposed to be a business friendly hotel. I needed to print a document before heading into the office. Went into the lobby where the computer and printer were. A guest was on the computer (watching women's wrestling, ok whatever) - so I asked the receptionist if she could print a file for me using one of their computers in the back. She couldn't because the computers were not turned on (and she's not sure how to log onto them). She asked around, but no one in the facility at the time knew what to do. So, she asked the women's wrestling fan to move aside for a minute (and he did). However, the printer was broken! Yep, very business friendly - eh? Good thing that this was my last day, meaning I already checked out, my stuff was in the car and I planned to never ever look back.

I thought I would stay here because it was very close to the office - and thought I would save the company a few bucks. Nope, never ever again! I would not wish this place to my worst enemy.

Another reviewer mentioned, "Run, Don't Walk" - I couldn't agree more. The only thing I want to do after 12-14 hours at the office, is to relax in my room (and not worry about bugs, flooding, etc)...

Hilton is a bit farther away and costs about $60 more / night. Next time I visit Houston (which will likely be in a few weeks), I will pay the extra $60/ night (out of my own expense if I have to).

Room Tip: Don't bother... It's not worth it - no matter which room they give you.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank tee c
TowneplaceNWHouston, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Houston Northwest, responded to this review, 18 September 2012
Dear tee c,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It is through feedback from our guests that we can improve our product and service. I am deeply sorry that your experience at our hotel did not meet your expectations. We work closely with a professional pest control company to address and rectify any pest situation that might occur. Feel free to call me at your convenience at 281-374-6767, and discuss another opportunity to gain your business upon returning to Houston. Thank you again and am looking forward to speaking with you.

With Hospitality,

Danny Villarreal
Miami
Reviewed 3 September 2012

I stayed at this hotel in August 2012 because it was tucked away from the heavy traffic and not too far from family in the city. It has an apartment feel with 100 times the amenities. The staff is friendly and they fix a complimentary dinner 2 nights a week with a complimentary breakfast 7 nights a week. When I needed extra towels they went out of their way to bring them up to me even during late night hours. Super friendly staff too! I highly recommend this hotel if you want a Marriott property without the extra fees for food and/or other amenities. Great buy for the money!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family