“Clean, good location for my needs”

TownePlace Suites Houston Northwest
Ranked #239 of 506 Hotels in Houston
Oregon
“Clean, good location for my needs”
Reviewed 3 April 2014

The entire facility, and my room for sure, were quite clean, furnished well with new furniture and accessories in good condition. Room was spacious and comfortable. I certainly didn't run into some of the items mentioned in the poorer reviews. (I know they mentioned some things beyond this, but part of it seems to be that the whole point of having a range of property brands is to have higher and lower end brands, some as full-service hotels, some for long-range stays, etc. I expect a TownePlace suites to be well run, comfortable, and functional, but I don't expect it to be a full-service Marriott hotel.) This property met or exceeded my expectations.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Yamhillbilly
Chris G, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Houston Northwest, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others. We're glad to see that we were able to meet or exceed your expectations while staying at the TownePlace Suites Houston NW. We look forward to seeing you again when your travels bring you to the NW Houston area.

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 30 March 2014

After reading the mixed reviews here about this property, I was a little apprehensive about my stay here. But that It is not the case!

I have stayed in several Towneplace suites properties throughout the country so I know what to expect and this property did not disappoint..

We stayed here for 3 weeks in a 2 bedroom suite. We stayed in the fourth floor at the opposite end from the freeway. There freeway noise is only noticeable if the windows are open. The place overall is very clean. The breakfast is pretty good which includes hot breakfast choices like scrambled eggs, bacon or sausages. It is true that the sofas in the living room are somewhat worn out, but we didn't mind it very much. Everything was as expected, clean and simple. The staff were friendly and helpful. We would certainly stay at this property again.

Room Tip: The property is located next to a strip mall. Rooms on the west side are quieter
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Chris G, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Houston Northwest, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Hello A.Rao. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent long term stay at the TownePlace Suites Houston NW. We're glad to hear that we were able to make your stay enjoyable and comfortable. We look forward to seeing you the next time your travels bring you to the NW Houston area!

Westlake, Ohio
Reviewed 24 January 2014

I would like to start by saying that we are platinum members with Marriott and spend 90 plus nights a year in there properties. This "hotel" misses the mark completely. We had a two week stay. I will divide my review by areas vs one long review of everything mixed together.

The Front Desk: no one is ever at the front desk, you kind of have to walk up there and say "hello" and someone will come walking out from the back somewhere. The front desk staff is also very uninformed about things to do around the area and also the normal day to day operations of the hotel (but more on that later) Over all they didn't seem very professional.

The room: I will include some pictures but the room is beyond run down (thats where the whole "motel" thing comes from) just old, dated and in bad shape. It appears they put in newer appliances in the kitchen but everything else was neglected. The furniture was torn, strained and dented in the living room. The bedrooms had the worse mattresses I have ever slept on (its definitely not a Marriott mattress) The mattress would just sink when you slept on it and the linens were cheap and some did not even match. The room was described on the website as a bedroom/ 2 bathroom but it was only one very small bathroom, very very small. In the kitchen they provided dish washing liquid but no sponge or scrub (what do they expect you to use?) I picked one up at the grocery store.

The Hotel kitchen/ Kitchen staff: This was by far the worse. The staff is not just unprofessional but rude to boot. On more than a few mornings they ran out of food 30 to 40 mins before breakfast was over. This is a sample of one of the conversations I had "excuse me ma'am are you bringing out anymore omelets ? no we ran out . you ran out? theres like 40 minutes left? yeah a lot of people came to breakfast today we weren't expecting so many. (You think they would know how many rooms are occupied at the hotel) umm ok .. ma'am theres no waffles, are you getting any? no no waffles today. (thats ok I will just have a bagel) ma'am, there no bagels and no bread of any kind actually, is there any in the back? no we ran out of that too. (oh I see cereal, I will have cereal) oh ma'am , is there any milk left to have with cereal? no we ran out. well what do you have? We have some pancakes left. I replied with I don't like pancakes is there anything else you can dig up? she replies with "everybody like pancakes" and walks away (which is funny because I just told her I didn't like pancakes so obviously not everyone likes pancakes) So I had juice for breakfast. The quality of the food in general when they did have it was horrible, just standard microwave fair. On tuesdays and Wednesday's they host 2 hour or so "cocktail" type thing where they provide beer and wine along with some sort of appetizer. We weren't even informed of this until we saw it written on a board and inquired with the front desk. so on wednesday nov 27, We made our way downstairs for the "cocktail hour thing" and instead of it being open there was a sign that said something along the lines of "no snack today because of the holiday". I walked to the front desk and asked what happen to appetizer night (looking as to how the holiday was the following evening I don't understand how that would prevent this thing from being hosted) he again repeated the holiday thing, which made no sense. Thursday was thanksgiving and we were hosting some family so we didn't use many services that day. On friday morning I woke up for breakfast and instead of it being open there is a sign that said breakfast has been delayed due to the holiday (the holiday was yesterday and how long can they use this excuse for?) no breakfast (again) The kitchen staff seemed very bothered by the fact that people where there everyday eating food. When it was decided that services would be closed or delayed they could of slid a paper with that information under guest doors so that people can plan accordantly .

The only positive thing here is that the location of this hotel is amazing. Right off a mayor highway and near more restaurants and shops than you will ever need.

I would never stay at this hotel again nor would I recommend it to anyone. I can't believe its even associated with Marriott.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Chris G, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Houston Northwest, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Hello annieboobie. As much as it pains me to see your comments that you've shared with the TripAdvisor community, I appreciate you taking the time to bring to my attention as well. If I read correctly, you stayed over prior to and over the Thanksgiving holiday last year. I took over as GM right around that time frame and we've made some significant staffing changes since your stay. I am also happy to report that we are scheduled for a (much needed) renovation in our guest rooms and corridors this year in late Summer. I've also posted your comments for my staff to read as well. I want them to know that when the Marriott name is on the building, they expect that level of service. If you have any additional feedback, I'd welcome that as well at chris.gibson@marriott.com. Thank you again for your comments, your business and your continued loyalty to Marriott.

Chris Gibson

Travellers are raving about these Houston hotels

Wall Township, New Jersey
Reviewed 1 January 2014

For a Marriott one would expect quality mattresses, well not at this TownPlace Suites. I have not slept on a worse bed since I was on a Navy ship back in the 1960's. There is no dresser, so you have no place to put clothes if you are there for any length of time. While, they have a nice waffle iron to make your own, they ran out of the waffle mix and the attended was not very attentive.

There was a baby bottle and a milk container near the entrance to the pool that sat there for over 30 hours, and no one removed them. Indicates how attentive the staff was to their property.

While they advertise this brand for long term stays, two days was enough for us to put the brand on the do not stay again list.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor away from the elevator.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Chris G, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Houston Northwest, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Hi wlbjayhawk. Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel with others. Although it appears that we failed to deliver on the basics that the Marriott name is founded on; a comfortbale bed, hot food and curb appeal. If you wouldn't mind taking the time to email directly I'd like to get a few more details so I can follow up on my end to ensure that we can hopefully make things better for you and for future guests. My email is chris.gibson@marriott.com. Again, thank you for taking to time to share your experience and I hope to hear from you in the near future.

Kind regards,
Boise, ID
Reviewed 21 November 2013 via mobile

I stay at about 40 hotels a year. The staff here are probably the nicest in the industry. At first I thought just the desk clerk was nice but I used the shuttle and all the staff were wonderful. Even the cleaning staff are clearly and bright. If I were a Marriott I would promote the whole staff to a Renaissance Hotel

Rooms are just adequate but staff is outstanding

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
San Jose, California
Reviewed 18 October 2013

This TownePlace Suites is located right next to a Courtyard, they share the parking lot, and technically the entrance to the TownePlace would be from Compaq Drive. Checkin was extremely friendly and professional, was already received in parking lot asking if I needed help. They offer a courtesy shuttle within 5 miles (ie including a trip to Willowbrook Mall, 7am-7pm), there are some restaurants in walking distance (Brewskis Pub, Mexican, etc; also a Target and a large HEB grocery nearby <1mile) and plentiful breakfast buffet in the mornings (including breakfast cereal bars, apples, oranges, juice, cereal, toast, bagels, raisin, walnuts,...)
The property consists of two large three story buildings, and all rooms are minisuites, with kitchen, fridge, microwave, stove, large flat screen TV, nice workdesk and work chair. Bed was very comfortable, windows can be opened for fresh air. There was some limited background noise from highway, but slept easily through it. Nice outside pool was perfect for a quick swim in October. There is a fitness room (treadmill, elliptical, weights, yoga mat, ball) open 24h and an outside barbeque area. Manager's receptions Tuesday and Wednesday evenings.
Kitchen and bathroom with linoleum, living area with carpet. Marriott's Mitchel shampoo and conditioner.
Received a welcome bag for Rewards members with some goodies (candy and bottled water). While not brandnew this place was very pleasant and seems to attract mainy longerstay relocators/consultant/families looking to move to the area.
Wifi Internet was free and reliable. There is also a computer with printer in the lobby area for guest use, and they offer the Wall Street Journal in the morning.
Good value and recommendable, yes would come back here.

Room Tip: Rooms towards back may be quietest, turn fridge and AC off overnight.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
morgan_gurung, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Houston Northwest, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Hello Happy Traveler from San Jose,
It was our pleasure to serve you during your recent stay at our beautiful Towneplace Suites Mariott Houston Northwest.
Thank you very much for your great comments about our property, we really appreciate that. Our associates are indeed very happy to see this glowing review from our Guests and this only motivate them what they do each and every day to provide exemplary customer service.

As always we appreciate your business and look forward to serving you again whenever your travel brings you back to Houston Northwest area.

Thanks again for your business and a glowing review!
Morgan Gurung,CHA
Marlborough, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2013

I booked this hotel because the other Marriott's were full. This is a good, serviceable hotel but not quite at the level I was expecting of the brand. The staff was very friendly and the rooms were large, but tired. Breakfast was in a small area of the hotel and I'm glad I got early to avoid the crush. A good value hotel, but left me expecting more

Room Tip: Try and avoid a room close to the freeway. It was quite loud outside
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Ian D
morgan_gurung, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Houston Northwest, responded to this review, 1 October 2013
Hello Mr. Ian,

Thank you for being a loyal customer to Marriott. We really appreciate that. It was indeed a pleasure serving you during your stay with us at our property. Thank you for noticing the great service we provide each and every day. Our staffs really go extra miles in taking care of our Guest needs and we are thankful for the opportunity to serve you.

As always we look forward to serving you again whenever your travel brings you back to Houston NW area.

On your service,