“Great for extended stay..”

Studio 6 Houston Northwest
Studio 6 Houston Northwest
Ranked #390 of 504 Hotels in Houston
Houston, Texas
“Great for extended stay..”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2011

Before I begin, I agree with a previous reviewer "westoverroad" on all things about inside of the room itself.

I have been staying there for 10 days nows and would like to add my below thoughts -

1. They have separate buildings for smoking and non-smoking rooms.
2. Front office staff is very cordial and caring. They assured me that, they will never remove our belongings for 24 hours (or something) unless we check out (or extend).
3. There is a security patrol at night, and the place is very safe, quiet and well lit. I saw couple of families with young kid living here.
4. Towels are clean and fresh. No smoke smell or stains.
5. Kitchen came with clean - cutting board, vessels, silver ware, dish drainer, kitchen towels, plates and bowls.
6. Kitchen has coffee maker, toaster, microwave, fridge and a small sink. There is a neat breakfast nook, which can be used for office work and reading too.
7. There is a love seat, lots of storage, ironing board and iron.
8. Very close to restaurants and other stores.
9. Reasonable laundry room.

If you're noise sensitive, you may want to choose your rooms carefully as this place sits right next to 290 fwy.

Things needing improvement -

1. Bed linen smelt musty and felt ragged.
2. Pillows were too soft and old.
3. Wifi connection is very slow.

I used to stay at a nearby InnTown Suites and that place sucked.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the U-Haul store. It gets sunlight and is supposedly quieter (from freeway nois...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank usa2chennai

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Austin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2010

The front desk clerk was nice enough when we checked in, and she did try to give us a 2nd floor room as far back from the freeway as she could.

It was $55 for the room and one wifi connection ($60 for two).

The room smelled quite musty when we entered it. As a previous reviewer said, the pillows were lumpy and the sheet threadbare and the carpet was well-worn.

The room was cramped with the bathroom door opening out into the small kitchen. It was the smallest Motel 6-like room I've ever been in.

The water pressure in the shower was good and the water plenty hot. You get only a couple bars of soap and no shampoo or conditioner. The towels were about what you get in this class hotel -- not totally thin, but not fluffy either.

The wireless internet (for which you pay $4.95 for your entire stay, but need two such passes if you have to laptops -- which we did) is painfully slow. Under no circumstances can it be called "high speed." They simply call it "wifi" on their web page.

I suppose they aren't exactly lying with that claim, but wifi is normally at least a few seconds in response time. Instead, it reminded me of the old dial-up days -- except that all the graphics and videos of today's web pages often made response times in minutes rather than in seconds. I don't know what Studio 6 is trying to get away with by advertising it as "wifi", but it definitely is not adequate internet performance.

The TV did have HBO and ESPN and worked reasonably well, but the remote control only let you lower the volume to a certain level.

We stayed two nights (for a college football game in Houston) and it was ok for that length of time. But I wish we had stayed at the other hotel we found in the area.

I suppose if you are on a very limited budget (a couple hundred dollars per week for accommodations) and you simply must stay in a kitchenette for some extended period of time, this motel might be something you'd consider. It did have a dated refrigerator, a microwave and a sink. There were enough dishes for 3 people in our 2-person room.

Bottom line: if you're looking for decent accommodations in this price range on the northwest side of Houston, stay at a Wyndham hotel like a Super 8 (there's one s few miles closer into town on Northwest-Freeway/290). At those motels, the wifi is fast, you get a free breakfast, and the rooms are much larger.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank westoverroad
Houston
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2009

I stayed in this hotel for 2 weeks in August of 09 and the overall experience was the poorest I ever had of any hotel. You need a lot of asked several times to get clean towels or other supplies and even when you do get, you have to walk to the front with your soiled towels in exchange for clean ones.
The staff and very rude and absolutely carefree.

My room was invested with bedbugs. And we didn't even realize that until towards the end of my stay. My kids had rashes from bed bug bites all over. My wife killed at least six bed bugs. Not even the management had anything apologetic to say.

In terms of price, this hotel is great. But the service is something else.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank tundeyoung
Houston
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2008

I apologize for the length of this review, but there is a lot that needs to be covered! If you are thinking of this establishment, it is imperative that you read!

I checked into this Studio 6 on 9/11/2008 as we had to evacuate for Hurricane Ike. I felt it would be nice as it has a small kitchenette to include a full fridge, microwave, stove top complete with dishes and utensils.

I traveled with 2 dogs, 2 turtles and 1 kid! The property is pet friendy so that was an added bonus.

All we wanted to do was get settled in, take showers, get some food and watch the news. The rooms are very, very small and outdated horribly. The pillows were as lumpy as mashed potatoes, the blankets had 'wear holes' and the sheets were very thin and musty smelling. The website pictures of this particular property were nothing like they were in real life.

There were at least 3 cars that were being worked on in the driveway around our room despite there being a rule against that. The people working on these cars, of course, had to do it after a case of beer and at 3am.

We get settled and order a pizza. We are watching the news, getting caught up with the storm and all of a sudden I see a cockroach running across my bed!! I tracked him down and killed him, but that was by far the last one of the night. Needless to say I hunted and killed cockroaches most of the night. I called the front desk around 2am to come and spray. My daughter was waking up screaming with them on her face and the dogs were chasing them around the room.

The night attendant explained to me that both rooms either side of me had just had people in them who left them a mess and that has to be where they are coming from.

I didn't really sleep that night and as soon as 7am rolled around I called the front desk to move rooms. I was told that they were completely booked and I informed them that I would be leaving and would be down to get my money ASAP. Magically, they had a no-show within about 5 minutes and said they could move us.

We switch to a downstairs room that was better. I was told that 'they had never had any complaints of roaches in that room so we should be OK.' The pillows, blankets and sheets were all the same shape as before, but the layout of the room was different and seemed a bit more roomy. We unpack the dogs, food, turtles and kid AGAIN and get settled in. I go to make something to eat and discover pots and pans that had been burned and never cleaned and a saucepan with dried food in it!

I was greeted with eyerolls and sighs everytime I went to the front desk for new ANYTHING including the cockroach complaints.

I also discovered that being downstairs wasn't as good as previously thought. The storm hit even that far inland and during the storm the room started to get flooded. I had to put a towel under the door to help keep some water out and also in the window seals. There was water coming in the AC unit and nothing I could do about that. The door would shake and rattle horribly at any gusty winds.

Again with no sleep, the next morning almost the entire floor was soggy. We had no power and nobody was in the office, of course. We had a letter stating that the office would be open at noon on Saturday until 6. The office had 3 generators to use. I only know this because I was in the office when they were being unloaded and heard that they were for the office. We go down to the office around 1pm to check out as I have found something else. We are greeted with a note saying the office is closed and to call a number. We called the number and in about 15 minutes out stumbles a girl in rollers and a robe from the office. By this time she was not only greeted by me, but about a dozen other patrons of the hotel who were as angry as I.

I explain our situation and state that we are checking out and would like the next 2 nights refunded. I was rudely told that she couldn't do that and I would have to wait for the office. We still had a few things to get out of the room so she instructs to come back before we leave, call the number again and give her our keys. We went back no more than 10 minutes later and she would not answer her phone in 30 minutes of trying. This number was listed as an emergency number to call.

We leave with our keys and go to the new motel. I called that 'emergency number' all day and could not get through to her and I sure wasn't leaving the keys without my refund.

We had to go back Sunday and return the keys. I explained to the girl at the desk (same one as before) that we didn't stay in the room the previous night, she wouldn't answer her phone for me to tell her and I could show her my receipt from the other motel and I wanted a refund of Saturday, Sunday and Monday nights. SHe explained to me that the only way she could do that was to use petty cash and she had to call the supervisor for that to happen. I told her that I would wait. I did and walked out with all 3 nights refunded to me.

Now, I understand that this was during a hurricane so things were screwed up all around, but the basic things you look for and expect with any establishment were missing.

I was thankful to have a place to go in the storm even though it was roach infested and flooded, but never again, evacuating or not will I lay my head at a Studio 6.

• Liked — location, right off of major freeway in houston
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family