“Beautiful Hotel in a beautiful city”

Royal Sonesta Houston Galleria
Ranked #17 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We visited Houston and so happy I booked this hotel. It's so pretty and the rooms are not large, but comfortable, clean, newly and beautifully furnished.
We had a problem with the bathroom A/C leaking as soon as we checked in, but they were so helpful and moved us to a new room within maybe 40 minutes. Staff is curteous and efficient. Was a little confusing finding it because we missed the turn from the expressway and the road in front is 1 way and very busy, so we had to loop and wasted another 15 minutes between looping and traffic. So definitely be careful when trying to get there with your GPS. There's also a CVS about a 5 to 10 minute walk (I needed Abreva for a cold sore!) so that was convenient. There are also shops nearby if you need to do shopping (higher end shops).
Definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LuljaNYC
Jeffrey F, General Manager at Royal Sonesta Houston Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Dear LukjaNYC,

We as a hotel would like to take the time out to personally thank you for such great feedback, it is much appreciated. We recently renovated, and I’m thrilled that you were able to experience our comfortable rooms. We have an amazing staff that loves what they do, not to mention our purpose is to add value to the lives of the people with whom we interact and it seems to me that we were able to do so during your stay with us. I truly hope we will see you again in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Royal Sonesta Houston Galleria

Reviewed 1 July 2014

I rated the hotel just before going to bed after the first day at Houston. I had a very good opinion at that moment, specially with Pedro, waiter at the hotel's restaurant. So good, I wrote a review at Tripadvisor.

I stopped at this hotel for some business meetings in a short two night trip and was delighted with the service at checkin. All the details covered, room ready at arrival, room amenities.

The room had a lot of power outlets (take note of this other hotel managers: lots of devices require lots of power outlets) and a well located desk (regarding natural lighting). Very comfortable bed and powerful shower completes what a business traveller need.

It was too soon. All of this went through the drain that last night. I arrived next day at night after dinner and the hotel had no electricity. I mean: NO ELECTRICITY, not even for the elevators. What kind of hotel don't have an electricity generator at least for the elevators?

Worst of all, the person who had to deal with us, the customers, had no information, nor he was looking for it. "I have not been updated" was all he had to say. I had to go to my room by myself, 21 floors. And there was no emergency light inside the rooms. I deleted my review as soon I had electricity.

I wrote an email to the manager (amissick), who left a personal card in my room the first night, offering assistance in any moment. I waited for a week for an answer to my email, but he was probably too busy to dedicate a couple of minutes to whom he said it was a vip client just a couple of days before. I know that he most probable will answer to this review, but know that I will never go back to your hotel.

Room Tip: Take lower floors in case there is another electricity outage
2  Thank Diego L

Dear Diego L,

I would like to first thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to leave your much appreciated feedback as this is a great tool we us to learn and grow. I am ecstatic to hear that your check in and first impression of the hotel was delightful. Our employees really love what they do and it is priority for us to make our guests feel like they are at home away from home when visiting the Royal Sonesta. At this point I would like to extend my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience you had to experience with the power outage as this is not a typical issue that we experience here at the Sonesta. Unfortunately for everyone, the energy company for the city had technical issues and it impacted our hotel. Although I realize this is something that has already affected your viewpoint, I would really like to have a moment to speak with you to see if we can take care of any unresolved issues. Again. these are not normal circumstances for us and I have taken time out to come up with better approaches in case of another unfortunate mishap. Please email me at jfuller@sonesta.com at your earliest convenience, we would love to have you back with us to show you what the Royal Sonesta is truly about.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

Staff is extremely friendly and helpful. Rooms are a little small but very nice. The dining room food and atmosphere is excellent. Located within walking distance of plenty of shopping. Great hotel! Re

1  Thank Rosalyn H
Jeffrey F, General Manager at Royal Sonesta Houston Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear Rosalyn H,

Thank you so much for leaving such wonderful feedback about our hotel, it is very much so appreciated. I am gladdened to hear that you were able to experience our amazing hospitality and rooms. Our food is one of a kind and is tastefully delicious. I really hope that we will have a chance to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

The Hotel is nice, bedrooms are spacious and comfortable. The restaurant is a bit boring but food is delicious.
The only problema I experienced is regarding rate; had a conirmation with a certain rate and during check out received a rate 40 USD higher with no explanation!

1  Thank Gabriela B

Dear Gabriela B,

I would like to start off by saying thank you for taking the time to leave your much valued feedback, as it is a great tool to help us learn and grow. I am elated to hear that you were able to enjoy your room and be comfortable as this is key for our guests. I do apologize for the issue you experienced with the booking rate and would be more than happy to resolve this for you. Please email me at jfuller@sonesta.com at your earliest convenience and I can definitely look into this. I really hope that you have a chance to visit with us again in the near future.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

My second stay at the Sonesta. The rooms are immaculate, roomy and comfortable. I found the employees to be friendly, accommodating and willing to please. The hotel is centrally located and a reasonable distance from the Airport. I strongly recommend staying for business or pleasure,

1  Thank Carmine U

Dear Carmine,

Thank you so much for taking time out of your schedule to leave such great feedback, it is greatly appreciated. I am highly pleased that you were able to enjoy our wonderful rooms that we put such hard work into for each and every one of our guests. I am even more excited that you were able to experience our amazing hospitality. I really hope that you have another chance to stay with us in the near future.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

I stayed here for 5 weeks for a business trip. The room was very nice and I had a view of downtown Houston, it was really nice to have big open windows. Bed was soft and really comfortable. The staff were really nice and accommodating to my needs, even when I had an issue with my laundry & internet they rectified it right away. I spent a lot of evenings eating in the Bar and the bar staff, especially Sue, was excellent. Also, the girls who work at the coffee shop in the morning are so friendly. The restaurant has good food - the waffles for breakfast are divine. Although restaurant prices are not the cheapest in the area, so if your money conscious, eat elsewhere. Gym was good - better than most other hotel gyms I've used. Pool was too small, but still nice to wade in when there was no one else there.

Room Tip: Rooms facing east have a view of Downtown, rooms facing west have a view of Galleria.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Donanap

Dear Donanap,

We as a team would like to personally thank you for leaving your much valued feedback. I am happy to hear that you were able to enjoy not only our rooms, but the view as well. There is so much to see in the Galleria area and it’s nice to wake up and be able to look at something other than a wall. Our staff is terrific at what they do because they truly enjoy providing service with a passion. Sue is definitely one our best employees and such a great asset to the team. I am thrilled you had such a wonderful time and cannot wait for you to return and visit with us again.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

I really enjoyed my stay this past weekend. The room and bath were very clean. The bed was extra comfy and furniture was well maintained. There is a fridge, safe and coffee but no microwave. The closet has robes and also an umbrella to use during your stay. The shower has a bath gel and shampoo dispenser (no need for bottles). The staff was very friendly and accommodated my request of extra towels and pillows.
The only concerns I had was the walking distance from the guest pay parking garage to the front desk (can be long with luggage) and the pool area was very small and had no towels or spa treatments. Other than that, it was a great stay. Make sure to order room service breakfast, very good!

Room Tip: choose a high floor away from elevator
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank A S
Jeffrey F, General Manager at Royal Sonesta Houston Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Dear A S,

I would like to personally thank you for taking the time to leave such amazing feedback about our property, it is truly appreciated. I am ecstatic that you were able to enjoy our amenities and features of the room, and especially our superb hospitality by our amazing staff. We really hope that you will have another opportunity to stay with us as we will be looking forward to it.