“Luxury right around the corner from everything”

Royal Sonesta Houston Galleria
Ranked #17 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Church Point, Louisiana
“Luxury right around the corner from everything”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

My family took a mini vacation this weekend to Houston. We love Houston because it is a short drive from home and packed with tons of activities for the kids. We decided to mix things up a bit and stayed at the Royal Sonesta for the first time. We were very impressed! With a name like “Royal” Sonesta, I guess we should have expected luxury, but we weren’t expecting it like this! I was impressed right from the beginning with how easy it was to access from the interstate and how close it is to the Galleria. This meant that I wouldn’t be driving all over Houston looking for fun activities for the family; they were all right there!

When we walked in the Royal Sonesta; the elegance of the entry was amazing. There is a stunning chandelier that hangs the entire length of the entryway along the side of the lounge. I have never seen a chandelier like this one in my life! The staff were very helpful and check in was a breeze! We all grabbed sandwiches and chips from the Launch and were off! Well, before we were off; I have to tell you that my wife loved the chicken salad!

After a day of fun; we were ready to head back to the hotel and relax. Relax, we did! After relaxing in the room for a while, we decided to take the kids downstairs and let them explore the lobby. The lobby is massive and there was plenty of room for the kids to walk around without disturbing anyone.

The next morning, before we checked out, we took the kids to the pool, which is on the roof of the 5th floor. This was a lot of fun! The pool was a perfect way for us to start our last day in Houston. After getting out of the pool, cleaned up and packed up; we, sadly, had to check out. The Royal Sonesta has express checkout, which made our day run very smoothly. The Royal Sonesta is definitely our hotel of choice now when staying in Houston.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Donzell M
Jeffrey F, General Manager at Royal Sonesta Houston Galleria, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear Donzell M,

Thank you so much for leaving this wonderful feedback about our hotel, we really appreciate it. I am so happy to hear that you found our location to be accommodating for you, as we are definitely surrounded by lots of fun filled activities to get into. We put lots of hard work and dedication into our renovation so that each and every one of our guests would be able to enjoy everything down to the finishing touches. It was our pleasure to welcome you into our hotel and we anxiously await your next stay with us.

Jeff Fuller

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Korean first
Round Rock
Reviewed 8 July 2014

This is a beautiful, fancy hotel near the Galleria. From the moment we drove up, we were greeted by warm, genuine, smiling faces. So despite being an upscale establishment, everyone made you feel welcome. This is not our first stay at the Royal Sonesta, nor will it be our last!

• Stayed July 2014
Jeffrey F, General Manager at Royal Sonesta Houston Galleria, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Rblcastillo,

I would like to thank you for leaving such terrific feedback about our hotel, it is greatly appreciated. Our team really makes an effort for our guests to feel like they’re at home away from home. Everyone is valued here at the Royal Sonesta and we love interacting with each and every one of you. We cannot wait for your next visit with us.

Sunset, Louisiana
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Our family recently stayed at the Royal Sonesta, Houston. We couldn't have been more impressed! From the moment we stepped into the super elegant front doors to the fun we had swimming on the rooftop! The Royal Sonesta has everything for the business traveler, honeymooner, or family with children! The chandelier that runs the entire length of the entry way lets you know, right away, that you are in for a treat. The staff were very friendly and eager to help us get settled. It is not often that we can find a hotel that is elegant, yet caters to families with children. We were very comfortable allowing our children to be, well, children. The lobby is modern, beautiful, and full of room for our family to enjoy a late night of visiting. The location is PERFECT as it is just around the corner from the Galleria and tons of fun activities!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Rachel M,

We as a team would like to personally thank you for leaving such wonderful feedback. I am happy to hear that you were able to enjoy all aspects of our hotel as we really put a great deal of hard work into our recent renovations for guests such as yourself. We have such an amazing location that surrounds us with activities for not only adults, but our children as well. We cannot wait to welcome you with open arms on your next stay with us.

Galveston Island, Texas
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

We had a three night stay with them and from the time we went through the front door until we left everyone was very warm and friendly it is a great place to stay we had dinner in the hotel restaurant one night our waiter Marty was very helpful we had the 16 oz ribeye steak and it was well worth the money BEST steak we have ever had if you are in Houston you should try this place out

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Rose M,

I would like to thank you for leaving such kind words about our hotel as it is greatly appreciated. Our food is fantastic and I’m thrilled that you were able to enjoy it. Marty is such a great asset to our team and one of our best employees. We really hope to have another chance to meet with you again.

NYC
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We visited Houston and so happy I booked this hotel. It's so pretty and the rooms are not large, but comfortable, clean, newly and beautifully furnished.
We had a problem with the bathroom A/C leaking as soon as we checked in, but they were so helpful and moved us to a new room within maybe 40 minutes. Staff is curteous and efficient. Was a little confusing finding it because we missed the turn from the expressway and the road in front is 1 way and very busy, so we had to loop and wasted another 15 minutes between looping and traffic. So definitely be careful when trying to get there with your GPS. There's also a CVS about a 5 to 10 minute walk (I needed Abreva for a cold sore!) so that was convenient. There are also shops nearby if you need to do shopping (higher end shops).
Definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LuljaNYC
Jeffrey F, General Manager at Royal Sonesta Houston Galleria, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear LukjaNYC,

We as a hotel would like to take the time out to personally thank you for such great feedback, it is much appreciated. We recently renovated, and I’m thrilled that you were able to experience our comfortable rooms. We have an amazing staff that loves what they do, not to mention our purpose is to add value to the lives of the people with whom we interact and it seems to me that we were able to do so during your stay with us. I truly hope we will see you again in the near future.

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I rated the hotel just before going to bed after the first day at Houston. I had a very good opinion at that moment, specially with Pedro, waiter at the hotel's restaurant. So good, I wrote a review at Tripadvisor.

I stopped at this hotel for some business meetings in a short two night trip and was delighted with the service at checkin. All the details covered, room ready at arrival, room amenities.

The room had a lot of power outlets (take note of this other hotel managers: lots of devices require lots of power outlets) and a well located desk (regarding natural lighting). Very comfortable bed and powerful shower completes what a business traveller need.

It was too soon. All of this went through the drain that last night. I arrived next day at night after dinner and the hotel had no electricity. I mean: NO ELECTRICITY, not even for the elevators. What kind of hotel don't have an electricity generator at least for the elevators?

Worst of all, the person who had to deal with us, the customers, had no information, nor he was looking for it. "I have not been updated" was all he had to say. I had to go to my room by myself, 21 floors. And there was no emergency light inside the rooms. I deleted my review as soon I had electricity.

I wrote an email to the manager (amissick), who left a personal card in my room the first night, offering assistance in any moment. I waited for a week for an answer to my email, but he was probably too busy to dedicate a couple of minutes to whom he said it was a vip client just a couple of days before. I know that he most probable will answer to this review, but know that I will never go back to your hotel.

Room Tip: Take lower floors in case there is another electricity outage
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Diego L
Dear Diego L,

I would like to first thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to leave your much appreciated feedback as this is a great tool we us to learn and grow. I am ecstatic to hear that your check in and first impression of the hotel was delightful. Our employees really love what they do and it is priority for us to make our guests feel like they are at home away from home when visiting the Royal Sonesta. At this point I would like to extend my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience you had to experience with the power outage as this is not a typical issue that we experience here at the Sonesta. Unfortunately for everyone, the energy company for the city had technical issues and it impacted our hotel. Although I realize this is something that has already affected your viewpoint, I would really like to have a moment to speak with you to see if we can take care of any unresolved issues. Again. these are not normal circumstances for us and I have taken time out to come up with better approaches in case of another unfortunate mishap. Please email me at jfuller@sonesta.com at your earliest convenience, we would love to have you back with us to show you what the Royal Sonesta is truly about.

Houston
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Staff is extremely friendly and helpful. Rooms are a little small but very nice. The dining room food and atmosphere is excellent. Located within walking distance of plenty of shopping. Great hotel! Re

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Sonesta

1 Thank Rosalyn H
Jeffrey F, General Manager at Royal Sonesta Houston Galleria, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear Rosalyn H,

Thank you so much for leaving such wonderful feedback about our hotel, it is very much so appreciated. I am gladdened to hear that you were able to experience our amazing hospitality and rooms. Our food is one of a kind and is tastefully delicious. I really hope that we will have a chance to see you again in the near future.