“Quaint little hotel”

The Sam Houston, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #59 of 516 Hotels in Houston
“Quaint little hotel”
Reviewed 26 May 2013 via mobile

This hotel is nicely located near downtown and walking distance to a good selection of restaurants

The rooms were a bit small, but very clean and with very comfortable bedding.

The valet parking is very pricey. The regular room rates are very pricey too. But we had travelzoo vouchers which afforded us a good discount along with breakfast vouchers.

• Stayed May 2013
Nick M, General Manager at The Sam Houston, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
Omar, thanks for staying at The Sam earlier this month! I'm glad you enjoyed our hotel, but I'm also glad you were able to experience some of the great restaurants downtown has to offer. Would love to share notes! Regarding parking, valet parking is our only option, but I trust the service was friendly and quick. Check out our website the next time you're staying downtown, we almost always have great package rates and other discounts for which you may qualify.

Thanks again!
nick.massad@thesamhoustonhotel.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 18 May 2013 via mobile

I originally booked one night to stay here and I was so impressed that I decided to stay another night.
It's newly remodeled all the details are done with perfection including the accoutrements in the bathroom lotions and soaps.
From my Bell cap Mario to the front desk Martin and even my room service gal Amber... all of the staff made you feel like they were there to help you with a smile and a "no problem".
The beds sheets and pillows are first rate and comfortable.
They also exceeded my expectations when I got room service they said it would be about 20 minutes and It got here in 10 way to go guys
Thanks guys I'll be back

Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Tom, thanks for the recent stay, and sounds like you met some of my favorite people in the hotel - Mario, Martin and Amber bring 100% every day, and will be very excited to read your comments. We look forward to seeing you again soon. Drop me a note the next time you travel to Houston.

Katy, Texas, United States
Reviewed 15 May 2013

Recently my wife and I had the privilege of staying at the SHH. I set up the night as a chance to celebrate my wife's first Mothers Day. I wanted to have a night alone, with out our daughter.
I contacted the concierge about some thoughts I had for the room and she exceeded any and all expectations. The staff is wonderful and professional. Not just the staff inside the Hotel but even the valets are fantastic. The room was amazing, clean and comfortable. All major amenities were there as well as perks like 2 flat screen TV's and free wifi.
I highly recommend the SHH to anyone. They definitely gave us a night we won't soon forget.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Darren, thank you for your recent visit and glad we were able to help you take care of Mother's Day! When she is ready to pay you back on Father's Day, let us know and we'll blow it out for both of you :) Lots of fun recommendations our Concierge can provide, no matter what you like - live music, bar scene, arts, history, food snobery, whatever. Look forward to seeing you again soon.

beach city
Reviewed 11 May 2013

great service and great rooms ..very close to clubs and resteraunts on main street..short walk away from party`short trip to Sambuca resteraunt great food and great music on weekends..still typing to get all 200 characters so i can post this review i really hate having to put 200 hjfgkhjf in to post review

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 7 May 2013

My wife and I attended a Wedding over this past weekend and had a wonderful time we just couldn't get over some of the staff. Check in was ok for us but took a quite a while for my in-laws as there seeemed to be confusion with their reservations. We arrived late and were told that food was available in the bar so off we went. The food was very good, management (apologized for the service) and along with the bartender was very helpful but everyone else seemed a little out of sorts. This is a beautiful Hotel with a great location and easy access. I just feel some additional training is needed here. Certainly nothing that would keep us from a return visit when in Houston.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Nick M, General Manager at The Sam Houston, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 16 May 2013
Dean, thank you so much for the feedback. We truly appreciate your kind words about the hotel, and even more the ability to correct what clearly were service deficiencies on your recent visit. If you would care to comment further about your experience do not hesitate to contact me directly at either 832-200-8801 or nick.massad@thesamhoustonhotel.com

We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Nick
King George, Virginia
Reviewed 7 May 2013

This was our first time at the Sam Houston. We chose it because of its location and price. What an excellent choice. The hotel was so accommodating and provided us great service. The room was comfortable and clean. We ate at both the Sam's bar and main restaurant. The food was great and service prompt. The complimentary shuttle to the convention center was a nice added feature. We would definitely stay there if our travels take us to Houston in the future.

tb/rj903

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Thank you so much for staying with us and I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. Let me know the next time you're headed to Houston, would be happy to personally assist with your plans. There are some great new restaurants and bars within walking distance of the hotel, and many more withing range of our complimentary shuttle. And we're of course only steps from the baseball and soccer stadiums. Look forward to seeing you soon!
Wylie, Texas
Reviewed 6 May 2013

I ended up here because they were the ONLY HOTEL IN DOWNTOWN that offered to participate with a discount for NRA members visiting for the 2013 Expo. This was my first trip to downtown, and they made it much better. The room was incredible, I only managed to get a one bed room, but was pleasantly suprised by a nice, and I was told very comfortable couch/chair (like a shrinks office on tv). We had Keurig Coffee and our own maker which gave us a taste of home, the bathroom setup had me feeling very high society. Food at The Sam was incredible, and the bartender was very friendly and informative on where to go next. We came back late night and the concierge found a place for us to eat after midnight, and it was excellent. I will only stay here when I go back to Downtown H town.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank ROBERT H
Robert, so glad you had a great time while in town for the NRA convention! Thank you for all of the compliments, and I will be sure to share with our team.

There is a lot to do downtown this summer - Astros, Dynamo, live music, theater, art - all within a short walk of the hotel. Look forward to seeing you again soon!

Nick