“Great downtown hotel”

The Sam Houston, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #56 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed 29 May 2013

The hotel is an old hotel which has been updated to a botique hotel. The room was wonderful - a big, comfortable bed, lovely view of downtown Houston, and a superb European-syle bathroom. The only drawback at all was a noisy wedding celebration that didn't end until 11 pm. The hotel appears to be a favorite wedding venue. Other than that, it was restful and quite convenient to the downtown arts venues. They have a courtesy car that took us to and from the concert which was greatly appreciated. They have valet parking and it's pricey, but they waived the total valet charge when we complained about the late night party noise. I highly recommend this property.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Nick M, General Manager at The Sam Houston, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2013

JonesvilleBag, so glad that you enjoyed your recent stay. We recently made the many of the room improvements that you mentioned, and are very proud that you liked them so much! I personally apologize for the noise disturbance you experienced - we are a favorite for wedding and other social celebrations, but we could have taken better care to prevent you from being disturbed. If you feel the matter needs further attention please contact me directly. Should your plans bring you back to downtown Houston, I would be happy to personally assist and ensure an even better experience than you had recently. Thank you again!

Reviewed 26 May 2013 via mobile

This hotel is nicely located near downtown and walking distance to a good selection of restaurants

The rooms were a bit small, but very clean and with very comfortable bedding.

The valet parking is very pricey. The regular room rates are very pricey too. But we had travelzoo vouchers which afforded us a good discount along with breakfast vouchers.

• Stayed: May 2013

Omar, thanks for staying at The Sam earlier this month! I'm glad you enjoyed our hotel, but I'm also glad you were able to experience some of the great restaurants downtown has to offer. Would love to share notes! Regarding parking, valet parking is our only option, but I trust the service was friendly and quick. Check out our website the next time you're staying downtown, we almost always have great package rates and other discounts for which you may qualify.

Thanks again!

Reviewed 18 May 2013

I originally booked one night to stay here and I was so impressed that I decided to stay another night.
It's newly remodeled all the details are done with perfection including the accoutrements in the bathroom lotions and soaps.
From my Bell cap Mario to the front desk Martin and even my room service gal Amber... all of the staff made you feel like they were there to help you with a smile and a "no problem".
The beds sheets and pillows are first rate and comfortable.
They also exceeded my expectations when I got room service they said it would be about 20 minutes and It got here in 10 way to go guys
Thanks guys I'll be back

Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo

Tom, thanks for the recent stay, and sounds like you met some of my favorite people in the hotel - Mario, Martin and Amber bring 100% every day, and will be very excited to read your comments. We look forward to seeing you again soon. Drop me a note the next time you travel to Houston.

Reviewed 15 May 2013

Recently my wife and I had the privilege of staying at the SHH. I set up the night as a chance to celebrate my wife's first Mothers Day. I wanted to have a night alone, with out our daughter.
I contacted the concierge about some thoughts I had for the room and she exceeded any and all expectations. The staff is wonderful and professional. Not just the staff inside the Hotel but even the valets are fantastic. The room was amazing, clean and comfortable. All major amenities were there as well as perks like 2 flat screen TV's and free wifi.
I highly recommend the SHH to anyone. They definitely gave us a night we won't soon forget.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Darren, thank you for your recent visit and glad we were able to help you take care of Mother's Day! When she is ready to pay you back on Father's Day, let us know and we'll blow it out for both of you :) Lots of fun recommendations our Concierge can provide, no matter what you like - live music, bar scene, arts, history, food snobery, whatever. Look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 11 May 2013

great service and great rooms ..very close to clubs and resteraunts on main street..short walk away from party`short trip to Sambuca resteraunt great food and great music on weekends..still typing to get all 200 characters so i can post this review i really hate having to put 200 hjfgkhjf in to post review

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Ashley B, Public Relations Manager at The Sam Houston, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2017

Thank you so much for sharing your excellent experience at The Sam Houston, Curio Collection by Hilton with the rest of the world! We are grateful to have had you as our guest and we hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 7 May 2013

My wife and I attended a Wedding over this past weekend and had a wonderful time we just couldn't get over some of the staff. Check in was ok for us but took a quite a while for my in-laws as there seeemed to be confusion with their reservations. We arrived late and were told that food was available in the bar so off we went. The food was very good, management (apologized for the service) and along with the bartender was very helpful but everyone else seemed a little out of sorts. This is a beautiful Hotel with a great location and easy access. I just feel some additional training is needed here. Certainly nothing that would keep us from a return visit when in Houston.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Nick M, General Manager at The Sam Houston, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2013

Dean, thank you so much for the feedback. We truly appreciate your kind words about the hotel, and even more the ability to correct what clearly were service deficiencies on your recent visit. If you would care to comment further about your experience do not hesitate to contact me directly at either 832-200-8801 or nick.massad@thesamhoustonhotel.com

We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Nick

Reviewed 7 May 2013

This was our first time at the Sam Houston. We chose it because of its location and price. What an excellent choice. The hotel was so accommodating and provided us great service. The room was comfortable and clean. We ate at both the Sam's bar and main restaurant. The food was great and service prompt. The complimentary shuttle to the convention center was a nice added feature. We would definitely stay there if our travels take us to Houston in the future.

tb/rj903

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business

Thank you so much for staying with us and I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. Let me know the next time you're headed to Houston, would be happy to personally assist with your plans. There are some great new restaurants and bars within walking distance of the hotel, and many more withing range of our complimentary shuttle. And we're of course only steps from the baseball and soccer stadiums. Look forward to seeing you soon!