“Don't Judge a Hotel by It's Cover!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Sam Houston, Curio Collection by Hilton

The Sam Houston, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #88 of 501 Hotels in Houston
Corpus Christi, Texas
“Don't Judge a Hotel by It's Cover!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2013

I got this hotel from Travelzoo with a great price. I was attending a concert at the Bayou City Music Hall and this hotel wasn't too far away. My daughter joined me just to hang out at the hotel, but she was not going to the concert. I drove up to the hotel and thought what have I gotten myself into! Realizing this hotel is known as a monument and older establishment, the outside of the hotel screams that when you first lay eyes on it, but in a sentimental kind of way (if you know the Hotel History). Valet parking is right out front and you just drive right up and someone is there to open your door. Upon entering the hotel, the scenery and mood immediately changes into a "Titanic" sort of elegance, mixed with business chrome and glass. The Lobby is quite striking color and scheme-wise and inviting. Valet and concierge were very helpful and very accommodating. I did not care for the front desk help very much. You don't have to kiss me, but at least welcome me with a smile. This hotel has the vibe for the business person or couples only. I was traveling with my 22 year old daughter (I'm 51), and when we entered the bedroom I immediately thought "business with a bit of pleasure." The bathroom was gorgeous, lined in granite, mirrors and chrome and the toilet was the quietest one I have experienced in some time. I missed having a refrigerator for cold water access, and this also meant you had to go outside of your room for any drinks or snacks. The front desk had to bring ice to us since there are no ice machines on the floors. We visited the bar downstairs for one drink and did not eat in the restaurant, so I can't say much about either one. We only stayed one night but I'm not sure I would venture back to this hotel. It was very nice and the staff was very helpful in every way. Just a different vibe for me that I don't care to experience again.

Room Tip: We were on the 3rd floor - our view was great - buildings in the skyline made for great night lights...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Turkish first
Lafayette, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2013

I stay here a few times per month for business. The hotel is always clean and updated. The staff is always willing to accomodate and very friendly. The food is good as well. It is nice to not have to leave the hotel once you get back there from work. I will continue to come back to this hotel as long as I am doing business in Houston.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2013

I live in Houston and was treated to a night at the Sam Houston Hotel to celebrate our wedding anniversary and we had a great time! Upon arrival, our room had a fresh piece of cheesecake with berries and champagne with a personal note from the hotel wishing us a happy anniversary. Such a fun way to start our night of celebrating! We had dinner reservations and their complimentary driver took us to our destination and told us to call him when we were done and he would come pick us up. When we checked out from the hotel the following day, the lobby was out of coffee and the valet overheard me mentioning this to my husband and he offered to go get me a cup directly from the kitchen and even brought me sugar and cream. Everyone was great and I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Houston, Texas, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2013

Stayed here one evening on a Travelzoo voucher and I was very pleased with the hotel room and staff. Very comfortable quarters and located within walking or shuttle distance of everything I wanted to see. The room service breakfast was OK. Would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Brownsville, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

Beautiful hotel. Very presentable. Clean. Kind of loud, not a great view (my window was half covered by another building-literally against the window.). that was not the problem. everything was clean. there was a keurig in the room, and the "breakfast bar" was alright. I guess I expected more than what I saw, but that is my fault, not theirs. they described it as miffins, and thats literally all they had. what I really didnt like was that we had a fire alarm go off one of the nights that I stayed- I stayed 4 nights. I kept going on and off for about 2 hrs starting at like midnight, and we had to evacuate. I called asking how long the fix would take, and they could not give me a time. that was fine, i guess it was out of their control. i cant really blame them, but it was very bothersome that I would not risk staying there again and having that happen again. They said they were working on the alarm because it kept going off constantly, and when the voice wasnt speaking telling us to evacuate, there were the flashing lights in the rooms. I dont know when it stopped, because it got to a time when I just put on my pillow over my head and passed out because I was so tired. beautiful hotel, just dont think its worth me risking another nights sleep when I am there for business. I am not one to complain, maybe that was the issue. I would have expected some kind of comp for the trouble we went through the night we didnt sleep, but I am not one to ask for things, I was just hoping they would have taken it upon themselves to know the trouble that was for most of us that are there on business and have to get up early to work.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Nick M, General Manager at The Sam Houston, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 2 July 2013
Kimmykak3s, thank you very much for your review of The Sam, and I sincerely apologize for the fire alarms that kept you from resting one of the nights during your stay. There was little we could do that night to resolve the issue, but I agree completely that we should have done more after the fact. I am happy to refund one night of your stay, and go one step further: if you could give us another chance I would invite you to enjoy a complimentary stay. Please contact me directly for your next trip to Houston.

Nick Massad III
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2013

Terrific hotel just 2 blocks from Minute Maid Park but they will shuttle you by car to/from the games as well as downtown area. The driver was prompt, never waited more than 10 minutes during our 3 day, 2 night stay. Martin, the director of rooms and all the staff went above and beyond to make our 3day/2 night stay special. Every person we meet was attentive to our needs, courteous and took extra care. Great atmosphere, clean, quite and both mornings our breakfast was terrific. It felt good to be treated like a wanted guest instead of just another hotel reservation. Hotel is near great restaurants/shopping, easy access, wonderful packages for different occasions. This is the hotel I look forward to staying at when I'm back in Houston. Ask for Martin and Eric thanks for being accessible, you're the best at what you do.

• Stayed June 2013
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2013

I travelled and stayed for SBC Convention. The manager, Martin, made my stay one of perfection. It's nice to see a downtown have a caring and personal touch. I will stay here again. Bruce Barber, Ft Worth TX

• Stayed June 2013