“Nice little place”

The Sam Houston, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #65 of 518 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Great little history building/hotel. Rooms were comfortable and quiet. Valet parking was good and fast. Great location. They didnt have ice machines on my floor, but room service was able to deliver it quickly.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TechLedr
Ashley B, Public Relations Manager at The Sam Houston, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2017

Thank you for sharing your excellent experience with others. We are grateful for your business and we look forward to serving you again.

Reviewed 4 October 2013

Overall very good value for the money. In Houston for a quick business trip - I had a rental car and had a little trouble finding the hotel at night in this somewhat seedy part of downtown. The employees are engaged, attentive and worthy of a 5 state hotel. High quality (albeit small) breakfast buffet. What prevents me from rating this as a 5 star are a few little things: (1) no hand soap in the bathroom - I had to call down and then it was immediately brought up; (2) the sewer smell in the lobby; (3) valet parking ticket requested that I text them to get my car, but that sstem was not working; (4) minibar or ability to purchase snacks / candy in the lobby would be nice - this is not a neighborhood in which I would feel comfortable wandering outside and looking for an open convenience store after dark. Would stay there again for the right price, but all things being equal, will look for a hotel in a better neighborhood.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank PaxMundi

Thank you for the feedback provided so that we can take the corrective action needed to address the issue that you have brought to our attention. I will review your comments with all of the staff members and use this as a training tool to ensure that these mistakes are not repeated in the future.

Reviewed 30 September 2013

Great value. Hotel seems recently remodeled/decorated. Had a nice room w/view of Minute Maid Park & downtown. Very clean modern style room with great linens. Package included a bucket of beer (any), appetizer (any) & free valet. Hotel staff was great also. Only suggestion I have is to add a mini fridge & microwave to the room as there are few restaurants open after an evening game.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your feedback and recommendation. We appreciate you staying with us and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed 27 September 2013

Stayed at the Sam Houston Sept 21st weekend. Cute hotel in a area of town that needs much improvment, but thats fine. My first impression was the ever lasting smell of sewer in the Lobby, this smell never left. Other than that, the hotel is very nice and the staff are quite nice, the rooms are nicely renovated. My only real problem came with a 'mysterious' charge of $13 on my credit card bill, separate from my regular room charges. The Hotel insisted that they had 'no record of this charge' and to proceed with this with my credit card company. My CC company told me that the hotel should have some record of the charge and that they should be able to resolve the issue. I forwarded this info back to the hotel, and have still to hear any type of reply to my problem.
I have occasionally seen hotels submit 'fake' charges to friends of mine in an attempt to 'sneak' some extra dollars out of their visit. This can easily slide through the cracks when travelling on business. I guess I should assume that The Sam Houston Hotel has done this to me.
My stay was good overall, but this petty fake charge is unacceptable!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Nick M, General Manager at The Sam Houston, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2013

Paul,

Thank you for staying with us recently! I'm so very sorry for the mysterious charge on your credit card. Please email me directly at nick.massad@thesamhoustonhotel.com and I will personally handle for you. Glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your email!

Nick Massad III

Reviewed 23 September 2013

Front desk personnel were very accomidating and great to work with. Valet parking service was good every time we ask for our auto. Room was clean and bed was very comfortable. Lighting in bath was not great and breakfast was slow even though there were only three tables with people. Will stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to comment about the quality of your visit to the hotel, we sincerely appreciate candid comments from our guests. Glad you enjoyed your time here at the hotel and hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 23 September 2013

May partner and I celebrated our 10th anniversary at this hotel and the service and hospitality was amazing. From the minute we pulled up to the hotel and were greeted by the bell and valet staff to being taken care of at the front desk was fantastic. The hotel is pet friendly and the entire staff treated our two English Bulldogs like they were royalty from having treats for them waiting in the room to asking if the dogs needed to be walked. The service was top notch! The extras with flowers in the room made it very specialThe hotel is very gay friendly and truly made our anniversary very memorable....Make sure you speak with the concierge, Julia....she is a true professional and wonderful to work with.

1  Thank FrankieC52

Thank you for taking the time to send such a considerate review of your recent stay at The Sam Houston Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton. It is of upmost importance to us that our facilities are clean, that you are met with the best service and enjoy our amenities in every way! We look forward to your return visit!

Reviewed 19 September 2013

Convenient for an event in the city. The front desk personnel were very accommodating, and the room was clean and comfortable, with a great view of Minute Maid Park. I left something behind, and the desk clerk was extremely helpful in finding it.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to send such a considerate review of your recent stay at The Sam Houston Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton. We look forward to providing you the same level of luxury service during your next visit.