“Smells of raw sewage.Period.”

The Sam Houston, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #63 of 518 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed 8 February 2014

It smells. Real bad. Lobby. Hallways. Rooms okay.

Apparently, this issue is persisting. See previous reviews by others. Otherwise the hotel is very nice. The reviewer recommends calling ahead for information about the resolution of this problem.

• Stayed: February 2014
Ashley B, Public Relations Manager at The Sam Houston, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your most recent stay with us. I was disappointed to hear your experience with us was less than satisfactory. Please accept our sincere apologies for the experience you had regarding the foul odor. Rest assured your comments will be shared with the team in an effort to prevent any further occurrences of this nature.

Reviewed 6 February 2014

The place smells like raw sewage, it's disgusting. The smell is strongest in the lobby & permeates the halls. It is not as strong in the room but still present. Based on the smell alone I would never stay here again. If you have reservations here cancel them. I can't believe it is legal to rent rooms that smell like sewage. Additionally the staff could not more apathetic, slow & rude. Maybe the sewage has gone to their heads.

• Stayed: February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to complete this review and tell us about your stay. It is always our mission to ensure every guest has a positive, memorable experience and I am sorry to hear we fell short in this instance. Please accept our sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations.

Reviewed 3 February 2014

The Sam Houston Hotel was so kind. We had 2 separate reservations because we decided at the last moment to go a day early. The made sure that we were able to stay in the same room, without having to check out and back in again. They also knew it was my birthday and they gave me a lovely gift! We really appreciated having the free car service. Even though we drove, it was great not to have to drive around the city and find a place to park for each place. They even picked us up after the opera. This will be our hotel every time we go to Houston.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your most recent stay we want all of our guest to feel not only welcome but like this is there home, it was a pleasure to have you as our guest and we are delighted to hear we have met your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed 29 January 2014

It took quite a while for me to decide which hotel to stay at in Houston. Eventually it was a choice between the Crowne Plaza and the Sam Houston. I chose the Houston because some of the most recent reviews for the Plaza were quite negative at the time.

There are a lot of good things to say about this hotel. All the staff I encountered were very helpful with all requests. I arrived on Sunday around 2pm. Later that evening I was informed that there were no shops nearby to go and buy a cold drink so they gave me a complementary soda which I really appreciated. The rooms were nice and comfy and the free Internet was a reasonable speed, unlike a vast number of other hotels I have visited in the past.

Sadly there were a couple of negatives. There was often a rank smell as you enter the lobby. I was informed that this was due to old piping, which also affected other buildings in the area and that the hotel was having quite an issue getting it fixed. There are no washing machines on site for personal use. There is a laundry service provided but it costs several dollars per item of clothing.

The are some nice restaurants in the area if the "17" restaurant is beyond your budget. So the location is good as well if you like inexpensive to moderately priced meals.

So I rate this hotel 4 out of 5 stars.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Roger B

Thank you so much for such a detailed review and we are so pleased on how much you enjoyed your stay. We appreciate you choosing us on your trip to Houston and we look forward to serving you again.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

Stayed here for a night this past weekend ... convenient location (car service is a plus), great ambiance, and friendly staff. We had a suite which was spacious with a sitting area and to full baths! The beds are very comfortable. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for choosing to stay as our Guest and for taking the time to write this nice review. We strive to provide our Guest exceptional service and I am thrilled to see we are doing so. Thank you for your loyalty and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 26 January 2014

I book hotel rooms for performing artists in Houston on behalf of Society for the Performing Arts. We have a vast array of needs that must meet the expectations of every sort of performer--from large dance companies that need a gym and a convenient location so the large groups can roam and explore Houston to individual, solo artists who want a beautiful room and superior service to some of our adventurous, world-class groups that want a great bar and an even better restaurant, I know everyone's needs will be met if I book them at The Sam. The service is spectacular, the GM is on top of every move and the place is just beautiful. I only hear wonderful things from each and every performer, which is crucial considering the hotel, no matter what a great job we do, will always be the first and last impression that an artist has about our city and their experience with SPA.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for choosing to stay as our Guest and for taking the time to write this review. We are thrilled to see that you enjoyed your experiences here with us. We will ensure that we share your review with our team as well. We look forward to seeing you again soon and have a wonderful day.

Reviewed 22 January 2014

This is a tough hotel to rate because there were things I loved about it and things I hated and usually the love/hate revolved around the same thing/issue. For example, upon entering the lobby I was immediately impressed by the modern boutique look, but there was a funky smell my wife immediately referred to as "raw sewerage". I noticed during our stay it didn't always smell that way, but when it did it was bad. The funky smell was also in the hallways, but not in the room itself. The staff was super friendly and eager. They let me check in early and explained all the features available at the hotel, yet when I asked where I could walk to for breakfast I got a blank stare. The clerk then began searching on the computer and then asked another employee who stated, "I'm new to the city and don't know." The room was spacious, the bed was very comfortable and the bath was large, modern and well designed, yet the noise from the street permeated the room as if the windows were open and I was on the first floor. The irony was I never heard any noise from inside the hotel. Note, I read other reviews referring to no blinds in the rooms, there are now and no morning sunshine issues. The location was downtown within easy walking distance to the theater district, Minute Maid Park and the convention center. It also was across the intersection from a homeless outreach center meaning that there were homeless people camped out on virtually every corner around the hotel. I've stayed in hotels in downtown Memphis, New Orleans, DC, Miami, but have never seen anything quite like this. Now no one bothered us and many were very friendly and polite, but walking back to the hotel at night after the theater was intimidating. If the hotel was three blocks down, on the other side of Main, this would not have been an issue. The bar and restaurant looked fabulous, but I did not patronize more because of my schedule than anything. My point is this could be a real find for a value hotel downtown and I really did want to like this hotel, but I'd likely stay somewhere else next time as the positives don't outweigh the negatives enough to return. Tips if you do stay, the hubcap diner next door looks like it should be condemned, but makes superior cheeseburgers. The transit system is a $1.50 fare to anywhere, my average taxi ride within the city was $35.

Room Tip: If possible get a room as far away from the intersection of Prairire and San Jacinto, which can be l...
1  Thank Charles S

Thank you so much for your feedback. We appreciate you staying with us and we look forward to your return.