“Very relaxing atmosphere”

The Sam Houston, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #64 of 518 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed 2 June 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Sam Houston Saturday, May 31st and went to an Astros Game. From the time we were meant at the valet curb by Mamondou the valet supervisor to Olena the front desk agent we had excellent treatment. Even though they had two weddings taking place that day/night they treated us like we were the only guest at the hotel. We will stay there again and would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Ashley B, Public Relations Manager at The Sam Houston, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

We are always so pleased when we hear comments such as yours that describe your satisfaction with your Sam Houston Hotel experience. It was our pleasure to serve you and we trust you will become a frequent guest of ours as your travel plans permit a return to Downtown Houston. Thanks again for your kind remarks.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

My husband and I overnighted rather than driving back to the country from Houston. I choose this hotel as I know someone who had stayed at a corporate event earlier that year. The hotel looks great - the refurbishing of an old style hotel was done good - ie. its rather small spaces, nothing grand. Our room over looked a street with a long line of homeless sitting around - not the view I expected, however, sympathetic I might be.

Fixtures in bathroom very cool, as well as bed was great, but the hotel smelled - I thought I was at an old cheap beach motel from the smell of mold. I will make another choice next time regardless of price.

Room Tip: Probably the higher up you are on a floor the better the experience in regards to your view.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Nick M, General Manager at The Sam Houston, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Thank you for staying with us in February!! I apologize that you were exposed to renovations that included plumbing work during your stay. Fortunately, that work is complete, and we're happy to have you back at no charge so that you can experience The Sam in its true form. Please contact me directly when your plans bring you back to downtown Houston!

Reviewed 2 May 2014

Front desk staff helpful and very courteous.
Bathroom large and modern.
Very comfortable bed and pillows.
Good quality in-room coffee and tea.
Good quality bathroom toiletries.
Doormen need to open door for in and outs of guests.
Hotels provides complimentary car service.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for choosing to stay as our Guest and for taking the time to write this review. We are thrilled to see that you enjoyed your experiences here with us. We will ensure that we share your review with our team as well. We look forward to seeing you again soon and have a wonderful day.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

Marty and his staff treated me like family! Room was very comfortable and clean.Hotel reminded me of the Chamberlain in West Hollywood but better due to friendly staff. Im an avid traveler and will stay at this hotel again after the exceptional service and hospitality.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo

Thank you so much for your gracious comments. We appreciate your enthusiastic endorsement and assure you we will do whatever it takes to continue to earn your trust. Thank you again for your patronage and choice of hotel. Safe travels and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

I traveled to Houston for Business and had a crazy couple of days. I was not that impressed with Houston as a whole. But The Sam Houston Hotel and the excellent customer service there was the highlight of the trip.

The room was comfortable and easy to use for getting work done in between meetings. I was in and out of the hotel at all different times of the day. The Valet people were always polite and extremely helpful. The front desk was kind and very accommodating. I very much enjoyed my stay.

The wake up call system broke in the middle of the night and I did not get my 3:00 am wake up call. Jeremy, the Assistant Hotel Manager, made time to call me that evening to apologize. In all the times that I have traveled, I have never had a member of the Front Desk team call to apologize just because. Jeremy did an outstanding job taking a disappointing situation and making it right. I would certainly recommend The Sam Houston Hotel as a great place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Nick M, General Manager at The Sam Houston, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

Thank you so much for your recent stay! I'm glad Jeremy and others took good care of you, and we look forward to seeing you again.

Safe travels,

Reviewed 2 April 2014

This was my first time staying at the Sam while in Houston for work. First impression was a bad one as the lobby smells like backed up sewage. I thought perhaps something was going on to cause it and asked the gentleman at the front desk who told me he didn't smell anything, but that other guests had complained too. It was not a mild smell, it was pungent. Thankfully the smell had not migrated to the rooms. But when I got to my room I realized they had put me in a handicap accessible unit. Normally this isn't an issue, but the Sam's design is a bathroom where you have to sit down to shower (no tub and the shower head could not be adjusted upwards) and window coverings consisting of only a thin pull-down mesh shade. I called the front desk and requested a new room which was much better. But things never really improved. Among other things: One night someone began vacuuming in the hallway at 10:45pm. I ordered breakfast one morning and only received half my order, housecleaning didn't restock coffee 2 of the 3 days and when they did they left me only decaf and I had to go down to get coffee each day. By the 3rd day the sewage smell had made its way into my room via running the AC unit. So I left the AC off. I don't recommend this in Houston. Staff was friendly and I think they were trying to do a good job, but it's clear the leadership here is lacking and they don't have standards in place. I'll never be back and our company terminated our arrangement with this hotel.

Room Tip: The best rooms here will be around the block at the Magnolia Hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Thanks for staying with us recently, and I'm terribly sorry we did not meet your expectations. We have been improving the hotel in many ways, and your feedback helps us to further direct these efforts. We are excited to almost be complete with our plumbing system work, as well as additions to staff and service training. I hope to regain your trust in the future. Please let me know when your plans return you to Houston.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Two years ago I booked this hotel for a graduation party..it was very nice..room and all. Now I happened upon this hotel again via Expedia.com. Well unfortunately things have changed for the worse. No one offered to get my bag when I arrived. The breakfast was lacking in taste. My companion stated the fruit wasn't fresh. The valet parking fee is greatly increased from two years ago. If you want a quite environment before 11pm you might not want to stay here..this hotel has beautiful decor and beautiful rooms for wedding receptions so you will often deal with the noise associated with the receptions. On a positive note: the decor is beautiful, bathrooms and rooms beautifully decorated.

• Stayed: March 2014

Thank you so much for your feedback. We appreciate you staying with us and we look forward to your return.