“Pool size of bathtub!”
Review of Comfort Suites

Comfort Suites
Ranked #210 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed 26 March 2013 via mobile

This hotel is small & clean. The staff is very nice. 6 tables in breakfast area, but nice breakfast. Pool is disappointing & should be called a bathtub. Walls are thin, can hear people talking down the hall. Suggestions:
Paint behind front desk. Redecorate-take out Christmas tree & lights in hall-it is March- really??? Remove dusty fake trees by stairs. Carpet is nice, but wall coverings out dated. Remove stucco wall & border. Cheap looking.

• Stayed: March 2013

Reviewed 7 February 2013

We stayed for a visit to MD Anderson. The rooms were very good and the location is wonderful. If you are going for an event at Reliant stadium, you cannot beat the location -- closer than some of the parking lots. A Target is nearby and lots of restaurants. The bed springs were old and squeaky, but not a bother except when getting in and out of bed.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank TXMike
Reviewed 6 December 2012

My wife is a patient of M.D. Anderson. We chose this hotel because of location and price. When I made the reservation I spoke directly with the hotel manager. When he found out my wife was a patient of M. D. Anderson he offered a special rate. The special rate reduced the cost $20 a night. Accepting this discount required we give up points.

The breakfast was better than some hotels that offer a continental breakfast and not as good as others.

The room was very clean.

The hotel offers free shuttle service to the medical complex. There vehicle is a Toyota Van so they can only haul 6 passengers at a time. They are willing to make as many trips as necessary to transport those signed up.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank John D
Reviewed 28 August 2012

Apparently a guest is not allowed to question or voice an opinion about how management lock guests into the hotel at night, and the punishment is a false claim of "smoking in the room" to the tune of $162.30.

I will start off with saying I am a 10 year veteran of the hotel industry, I have worked at a number of brands including Comfort Suites. Not only am I a non-smoker, I find tobacco smoke irritating and the stale smoke smell sickening. This is why I choose Comfort Suites, a 100% smoke free chain.

This hotel shuts down its doors and then barricades them with luggage carts between the hours of 11pm-6am. There is no accessible route to the handicapped parking in the front where my car was. I voiced this concern on my first night to the night clerk, who was not pleased for the unfortunate interruption of his YouTubeing on his laptop. Finding the same thing the second night, I not only shared my concern but my contempt for not only preventing direct access to the handicapped spaces but also barricading an emergency exit route. The night clerk could not care any less. I conveyed my sentiments to the manager the next day and all I received was that it was for the "safety" of the guests. I advised I would just send photos to their corporate offices.

I checked out the following morning on 6/29 at about 5:30am with the night clerk and turned in my keys.

Subsequently I find a charge for 162.30, and I wonder if they forgot to check me out or if they charged the wrong card as I had split the stay between 2 different accounts... I contact the hotel and I am given the runaround, told I would need to speak with Mr. Patel for information. I ask can't they just email or fax me the bill, and they said no, Mr. Patel would need to take care of that. After getting this runaround for a number of days, I contact my credit card company, not to dispute the charges but simply to request a copy of the receipts. Just before the deadline a copy showing a "smoking charge" was submitted to my credit card company.

Once again, I am not only a non-smoker but can not stand smoke. The most interesting part is that I turned in my keys around 5:30am, but my room was not checked-out until 3pm... Nearly 10 hours later, it makes me wonder if the night clerk resold my room under the table for cash... By 9:00am I was already back in Austin... This is the only way I can fathom a legitimate albeit misplaced blame for smoking in the room. The alternative is that it is a vindictive retaliation for advising I would report their barricading the door to their corporate office.

Since the hotel has not responded to me and they took so long to forward a copy to the credit card company, I have no recourse to request the key logs or video recordings to support the possibility that their clerk gave access to my room to someone else after my departure.

I contact Choice Hotels, advise them of the entire situation, their response was that only the hotel can address the situation and they would forward it along. A few days pass, no call, no email from the hotel, I contact Choice Hotels again and I am told that the hotel "sent a letter" and to wait 10 days for it. I expressed my deep displeasure at the fact that I took the time to call and speak with someone, the hotel can have the decency to call me back but no they "sent a letter". I advise them to contact the hotel, advise them how upset I am that they didn't make an attempt at an active response. The representative for Choice Hotels advises that they will request a copy of the letter as well for their records and again to please allow 10 days.

The 10 days are now up and no letter here, I contacted Choice Hotels Customer Relations, the hotel has "unfortunately" not responded to them and has not provided a copy of this supposed letter.

I have requested the issue be reviewed by an area manager but unfortunately Choice Hotels doesn't give a crap if the hotel fails to respond it's only a "ding" and if they lie about responding there is nothing they can do about it.

If this is not resolved, the next step is to push this up to the executive offices with letters to both the Choice Hotels CEO Steve Joyce and the 10 other members of the board of directors.

Room Tip: Pick a responsive and honest hotel... Choice has many hotels in Houston, pick any other one.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
7  Thank Chris F
Reviewed 24 July 2012

A small hotel (about 50 rooms) tucked away behind a couple of restaurants. Actually, the entrance of the hotel shares the driveway with a Jack in the Box. It is behind a Pappas BBQ. Very clean but starting to show a little age (matresses could use a changing, AC units are older). It is billed as a place to stay for the Medical Center which is not far and the hotel offers a shuttle, but it’s also a stone’s throw from Reliant Park so it’s a good bet for a game stay. Lots of fast food and some shopping within walking distance (Target across the street) but don't stray too far from the main road as it’s still the inner city. There is a guard on duty at night if that tells you anything. Standard C-Suites breakfast. Good TV line-up. Quiet since its back a bit from the street. The outdoor pool does not seem to get as much attention as the inside as it needed a good cleaning but it also did not get much use while I was there as its right along the drive way.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 January 2012

This is an excellent value for the price a med Center visit. We are long-term repeat guests (up to a week or two at a time for several months). Rooms are clean, staff is friendly, and they are excellent about providing Med Center shuttle service and accommodating Med Center visitors. Near plenty of restaurants. Refrigerators and microwaves in the rooms so there are a few options for longer-term guests to not have to dine out for every meal. Free fruit at the front desk 24-7. Sleeper sofas in the room are suitable for sitting, but not great for sleeping (not comfortable to sleep on).

This is not a perfect 5-star hotel, but I got what I would expect and more for the price. Highly recommended for Med Center visitors.

Pros
Reliable and reasonably prompt Med Ctr shuttle service
Sensitive to Med Center visitor needs
Clean rooms
Responsive staff
Small hotel with a friendly atmosphere
Good location, near Med Center and restaurants
Fenced parking
Refrigerators and microwaves in the rooms

Cons
Breakfast is ok, but not great
Pool is small
Parking is limited, but we have always been able to find a spot
Walls aren't as thin as in a house, but if you are an exceptionally light sleeper you may have an issue with the noise. Should be ok for normal to heavy sleepers
Sleeper sofas are not comfortable. Do not count on using them for extra people if you want to sleep comfortably

Overall, we have been really happy with this place.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Hes T
Reviewed 13 July 2009

My wife and I spent one night at the Comfort Suites here outside of Houston. Our room faced Reliant Park home of the Houston Texans. I used reward points so the room was free. The front desk was friendly, the room was clean, but other than that, there was nothing to make this hotel stand out. The pool was SMALL, and the hot tub was SMALLER! Our room had a king suite with hot tub.
The hotel had a free breakfast which was not worthy of being free. They would have been better to serve donuts. There are some shopping centers around, and the hospitals are close by as well. Pappas BBQ next door was tasty. The other problem is the website says the hotel is .1 of a mile from the Metro Rail. You need to take a shuttle to the rail station and the shuttle only runs every couple hours. Frustrating!
Overall, I was not impressed with this hotel. I would definately look elsewhere if staying in the greater Houston area!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple