“Nice alternative to the big chains”

Magnolia Hotel Houston
Ranked #25 of 506 Hotels in Houston
Minnesota City, Minnesota
“Nice alternative to the big chains”
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Hotel: funky mod lobby with piped in music; second floor is a really large lounge that has free drinks for an hour each night and good food and reasonable prices. Bfast is a well stocked buffet. Pool is on the top floor and is tiny but there are good views from up there. Hot tub too. No one seems to use either.

Room: old hotels have odd shaped rooms but I like that. Interesting large and deep oval tub. Minibar was reasonable for beer. Room is not outstanding and the bed was good but not great. All rooms are nonsmoking so I am not sure what the other folks were smelling. I was on eight floor facing the back with a view of a parking structure. I'd of switched if there on vacation. Some loud AC noise when the main unit ran for about 15 minutes one evening when it was hot, so if you go in summer, get a street facing room.

Location: the hotel is right on the edge of the downtown historic district. There are several good restaurants and pubs within three blocks, with excellent outdoor dining options. Sambuca is particularly good, and there was live music every night. The area around market square has good restaurants too. Really good selection of beer all over the place. I had Texas pegged as swilling Lone Star and other lousy beers, but I found that I was wrong and that they are trying to be like Seattle or Minneapolis, two good beer towns.

Getting around:
I walked to the convention center every morning. Took about 10 minutes. Main Street is two blocks up Texas, and there is a LRT that can get you to the main business district quick, though that is also only a 10 minute walk. I got hit up by a fair number of panhandlers though they were all quite polite and nonthreatening - better than many other downtowns I have been in. Hotel has a SUV that will haul you places for free too. There seems to always be a cab waiting and fares for anyplace DT are always $6 plus tip. I tried the b-bike rental at market square and can't recommend it. Houston is 30 years behind the rest of the cities for providing safe biking lanes and trails. Nerve wracking trying to ride on DT streets to get to the poorly maintained and incomplete trails along the river.

Why I gave it 5 stars: location and funkiness. Very different than a Hilton or Hyatt -much more fun.

Room Tip: Street side rooms in summer to avoid AC noise
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (389)
Austin, TX
Reviewed 10 October 2013 via mobile

Really wanted to like this place. The furniture was really worn and the bed was saggy. The worst was the bathroom - there was enough hair on the floor to knit a sweater. I was very happy to check out of this place. Honestly, I would prefer a Best Western.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wtp3
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 October 2013

We stayed in a suite for five nights in August. The room was very large, quiet and most importantly the air conditioning was superb as Houston was super hot and humid.
The Magnolia occupies a historic building in Downtown Houston and is conveniently located to explore this vast metropolis. The rooms are in need of an update and more attention from housekeeping and the staff in general is needed to bring this hotel to the level for which strives. We received a call at 06:00 one morning to ask if we had ordered breakfast (we hadn't) then we had a knock on our door asking for the tray from breakfast. Yes, this actually happened.
The good points besides the hotels location are the roof top with wonderful views of the city and the breakfast. I'd recommend the Magnolia with reservations, I've stayed in worse hotels, (namely the Hidden Hotel in Paris, worst hotel experience of my life), just don't expect a four star hotel and you won't be disappointed.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
katy
Reviewed 7 October 2013

This is a Great Hotel to Stay at. We did a 24 hour getaway and asked for a quiet room / suite & that's what we got. Anything we asked for, we got right away. We asked for early checkin & late check out & we got it no extra charge. there was a ton of towels, comfy bed, comfy pillows, fast room service. The only things i would improve on would be a more "foody" type menu with better food choices altho the food was good just not crazy good and we're foodies) i also hate when we splurge on a suite, then get charges $6 per bottle of water in the room. i would throw in water for free lol. we've also had other hotels offer the free breakfast in the room which was totally cool! it's a great location, we'll come back again for sure!

Room Tip: ask for the big suite not the studio suite
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Austin, Texas, United States
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Just down the street from Minute Maid Park and the Houston Aquarium, the Magnolia is centrally located. The amenities were outstanding: wine/beer reception in the evening, cookie and milk reception at bedtime, breakfast in the morning, rooftop pool/hot tub (small, but the view is marvelous). The staff were very friendly and helpful. Our room was simple, yet very well-maintained (no peeling paint or missing caulk). It is within walking distance of a number of eateries.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Durham
Reviewed 4 October 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at this hotel on the final night of our Texan road trip. I chose it based on Trip Advisor reviews because I wanted a decent hotel that was within walking distance of the Minute Maid, since we had plans to go and see the baseball game that night.

Sat Nav got us a little bit lost in downtown Houston, but once we found the hotel the valet guys were great - very efficient and helpful.

Check-in went smoothly and our room was nice enough. One slight niggle though - I was a little disappointed to find that the fridge in the room was fully stocked with payable beverages and snacks that worked on a weight sensor system (we had our own water and cans of pop with us but couldn't fit them into the fridge - but nor could we temporarily remove stuff from the fridge whilst our own stuff chilled because the weight sensor would have automatically charged us). So, we made do with warm water.

And I'm not sure what had gone on from the time we had checked in, but every time we passed through the main lobby (early evening, late evening and the next morning) the place smelled bad - I'm talking the sort of bad odour that lingers after boiling sprouts, turnips or cabbages :-/ Dunno whether the restaurant had been cooking up a shed load of vegetables, whether there was a drainage problem, or whether someone in the lobby had seriously bad wind - but whatever it was, it was not pleasant.

Anyhow, on the plus side, the hotel was a very handy walk to the Minute Maid, and we both enjoyed a decent night's sleep.

Breakfast the next morning wasn't great though to be fair. There wasn't much choice and the whole process seemed a bit chaotic. All of the tables were really large circular ones that seated about 10 people. When we found some vacant seats we placed a couple of glasses of juice on the table to secure the seats, then we went off for food. When we returned a waitress was just about to make off with our juice, presumably thinking we had just up and left despite the fact it hadn't even been sipped at!

My only other niggle...check-out was at 11am and since we had a long day of travelling back to the UK ahead of us we decided to take our time and stay in the room till then. A maid knocked at our door at around 9:30, so my husband explained that we wouldn't be leaving until 11am. But then around 45 minutes later the same maid knocked at our door again, so I had to tell her again that we were still getting ready and packing our cases...which ended up making me feel a bit rushed to be honest.

Overall I'd say it was an ok stay and it served its purpose, but for the price I think I expected more.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
League City, Texas
Reviewed 3 October 2013

My husband surprised me with a birthday weekend getaway to Houston. As soon as we walked into the Magnolia Hotel, I knew this was a place we would return to often. The lobby is lit by beautifully lights that resemble Murano glass, which gave the entire area a very upscale feel. The entire staff is very friendly, and each person seems genuinely happy to work there. The room was lovely, with granite topped vanity in the bath, and a mirrored wet bar area. Each afternoon, 2 complimentary drinks are offered to each guest during happy hour--2 glasses of wine or beer. Another lovely feature is the lavish complimentary breakfast buffet served each morning. There are several high end restaurants within walking distance. The Alley Theater is also within walking distance, as well as Discovery Green. These nearby attractions means you can park your car for the entire weekend. We will definitely return to the Magnolia Hotel whenever we require an overnight stay in downtown Houston.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple