“Best hotel experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #20 of 501 Hotels in Houston
Houston, Texas
“Best hotel experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

Coming from the service industry it is not easy to impress me. Every aspect of our experience was amazing, from the reservation to the front desk. First of all the hotel is gorgeous. The front desk woman knew we would not be there for milk and cookies and when we returned in the late evening, there was a plate of cookies in our room. The rooms are spacious and very clean, updated and chic. Breakfast has a nice variety of hot and cold food. Everyone was professional and friendly. You even get a glass of cucumber water on the way out. Amazing!!!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank julee l
Ryan E, Public Relations Manager at Magnolia Hotel Houston, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Hey julee l,

If we can impress another service industry professional, then we truly have done our job! So happy you dug your stay with us and we'd love to have you back. It'll be more magic, so be prepared.

Ryan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (383)
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

The room is lovely but watch out for your car when using valet service on his high end hotel.
On 2/26/2014, my husband and I checked in the hotel. We used the valet service for the 4 nights we stayed at this hotel. On 2/28/2014, our third day on this trip, we handed the car to the valet service. The convention center is less than 1 mile from the hotel location. The car, a Nissan Armada 2013, was in perfect conditions when the hotel valet service took over.
The valet service even takes photos of every car they receive, in order to show the conditions of the car upon receiving them. Which is a good safety practice for them, however it was useless for me as a customer to prove that my car did not have ANY damages when they took over possession of the car.
The following day, at 8 am I received my car at the front of the hotel and there was a 2 feet crack on my window. The valet driver goes to tell me “ it was already like that when the received it”. He goes to check on the camera with the photos they took and he “ cannot find my car on the camera”. The manager was out of duty for the day, but the valet driver arranged for me to fill out a “report form” and gave us the business card for the valet service manager.
My husband, complained to the manager of the hotel, who said we needed to deal with the “valet manager” who was not on site.
We called the valet manager, who promptly told us that the damage was not their responsibility. According to the law, when the valet service takes over, it is indue their responsibility. We told him to check the photos of our car, given to the valet in perfect conditions. He said he would look at the cameras of the garage, and call us back. When he called us back he said that the images were too small on the camera to tell.
In the end, neither the hotel or the valet service honored their responsibility according to the law to fix the damage to our brand new car.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank bfernanddes
Dear bfernanddes,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience. We are happy to hear that you felt the room and other services were up to par. You are upset that there has been no answer to your question about your windshield. I have forwarded your review to our management staff. We'd love to have you back and we thank you again for your business.

Regards,
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

We traveled from NC and found the hotel when googling hotels in Houston. We wanted to stay somewhere fun for a few days before we headed out on a cruise. and decided on this hotel because of the rooftop pool and the evening cookies and milk. We were not disappointed! From the valet, to front desk to the gorgeous rooms! The cookies were awesome, the other food that we ordered was also very good. The hotel is also conveniently located so you can walk many places or just hop in your car and get anywhere quickly. We loved our stay. I highly recommend this hotel to everyone!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Hey BF61,

Thank you for the awesome review and we're so happy we got to take care of you. You dug us, we dig you - let's do it again soon.

Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

We were given a huge corner king suite which was perfect for us and the 2 couples we traveled with to hang out and have some wine/visit after dinner each night. The pool area is fantastic for relaxing---very quiet. This is our second stay and we've never had an issue with the elevators..they operate as quickly as guests allow them to. We were on the 21st floor and never waited more than a minute headed up or down. Room service was very prompt. We love being downtown and not needing a car to get around. I am very particular and we love this property. Cannot beat the value.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank mobock
Ryan E, Public Relations Manager at Magnolia Hotel Houston, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Hey mobock,

Thank you for staying with us, thank you for reviewing your stay, and thank you for being awesome. It's always good news to hear that a self-diagnosed "picky person" digs what we're doing. Feels good. We hope we get to take care of you again in the future and until that time -

All our best,
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

My wife and I were looking for an overnight stay for our Anniversary. It is hard to get a babysitter for an overnight and with both of us working all the time it is hard to get away, even for one night.
I booked the room as a surprise. The place was beautiful. The entire staff was GREAT! We will
definitely be back. We are already thinking about another overnight next month. We would not stay anywhere else in Downtown.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Hey Dave,

Surprise romance, getting away form the scheduled world, man, you really hooked this one up! We're so happy you stayed with us, you reviewed us, and that we got to make some magic happen. We look forward to the next surprise.

Vidor, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

My husband and I stayed in this hotel February 15 - 16 as a little Valentine's getaway.

You immediately feel the 4 star ambience of the Magnolia when you arrive at the valet. The lobby of the building is gorgeously decorated. It's both modern and classic. Check-in was a breeze.

When we arrived at our room, there were pizza boxes at the door. We were a little concerned that that meant our room hadn't even been cleaned, but luckily it had. I did call the front desk to notify them, but after 20+ rings, no one answered and the trash remained there until after 11 pm (several hours). Not a deal-breaker, but kind of disappointing. The room itself was very clean and well-appointed.

When we got back from dinner, we went for complimentary milk and cookies, which lasts from 8 - 10 pm. I don't recommend going after 9 pm. There was coffee, but no stirrers and all of the napkins were gone. The cookies were very good.

Next, we went up to the roof, where the pool and hot tub are, as well as the fitness room. This was a nice area to look out over the city.

The bed was extremely comfortable and the next morning, the complimentary breakfast was the best I've had at any hotel. Everything was flavorful and kept at the right temperature. There were plenty of options. You have the option to express check-out, which is just dropping your key and receipt into a box.

Overall, this was a fantastic hotel. I would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Krystal W
Ryan E, Public Relations Manager at Magnolia Hotel Houston, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Dear Krystal W,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your stay with us. We're so happy that on the whole, you found us to be up to par - and we hope to have you back so we can show how we can take great, all the way to awesome. Till then,

Willis, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2014

Seems like most of the 40 years we've been married that we've done so with my husband's run of the Houston Marathon. We live like 50 miles north, so many times we have stayed at various motels on the outskirts of town for convenience. This year was also our 40th wedding anniversary, so I wanted to splurge on a nice downtown Houston hotel to mark our occasion. After looking at several options and reviews I decided on The Magnolia. The only speed bump was the valet parking that I did not notice on the website. Not that it wasn't a good amenity - just that I'd passed on other hotels because I didn't want to pay the extra fee. Would I have passed this one as well? I don't know. Maybe. checking in was a breeze. Kinda disappointed that we did not get the upgrade that was an option, but I wasn't that surprised beings we booked last minute. The room was LARGE with complete kitchen and walk-in closet located down a wide hallway on the way to the bathroom. There were comfy white robes. Room was very well appointed overlooking a nice view of a portion of town. In fact, the next morning I could view people getting started on the race.

We could each have 2 drinks at the happy hour in the lounge. We elected to eat a few blocks away, and when we returned there was a chilled bottle of champagne for us with a note to congratulate our 40 years. We missed our cookies and milk beings we had already changed clothes before remembering about it. Hubby had to get up and leave early for the race and missed the breakfast, but I did venture down to enjoy the complimentary food. This is not your basic free breakfast of pastries, fruit and juice or even the usual make-your-own waffles you get at the usual chains. The hot choices were amazing. While it was self-service, the items were fresh and replenished quickly by staff.

If you are looking for an upscale stay with great value, Magnolia Hotel is an excellent choice. The amenities and staff will make it a stay you are certain to repeat.

Room Tip: Corner rooms have extra views and I think are a bit larger. You will get an option for upgrades (for...