“Nice at first but left a bad taste in my mouth...”

Magnolia Hotel Houston
Ranked #33 of 515 Hotels in Houston
Fort Worth, Texas
“Nice at first but left a bad taste in my mouth...”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

When we arrived at the Magnolia Hotel Houston I was quite impressed. When you walk in the initial impression is the hotel is very swanky. The room was nice; nothing to write home about but nothing to complain about either.

We stayed at the Magnolia due to its proximity to the Toyota Center. Definitely within walking distance. There are lots of places to eat around the hotel. However, do be aware that many of the restaurants aren't open on the weekend. So plan where you want to eat before getting there.

The cookie bar in the evening was nice. The night we went some kids walked out with 20 cookies each so they had to make some more. The hotel can't manage that so if you want cookies be sure to get there early.

The breakfast area is rather small for the quantity of people the hotel holds. There were no tables available neither time I went to breakfast. I had to sit on a couch and eat my breakfast. Not ideal. The second day I went up to the floor with the conference rooms and ate up there. Nobody else was there so it was nice and quite. But yeah, they need more eating space. The breakfast was good. Bacon! Need I say more?

The free in-room wifi is a joke. Worse than old dial up speeds. (Dial up is what your dad had to use that made awful screeching noises when connecting for all you youngsters. Let's just say it is really slow.) There was an option to upgrade for faster service but I turned my phone's wifi off and used the Verizon 4G connection. Great VZ 4G coverage in downtown Houston BTW. Luckily I wasn't there for work so it didn't matter. But if your work is reimbursing you then upgrade.

There are tons of parking garages around so don't do the valet parking if you can walk a block. We parked across the street. Saved a ton of money and time.

All things aside, the small eating place, slower than snail free wifi, I would have given a higher rating if it weren't for the absolute rudeness of the staff after the stay. A couple of days later I checked my credit card and there was a $12 charge that I was not aware of from Magnolia Hotel Houston. I called and nobody even answered the phone the first time; the call rang so many times the phone company aborted the call. I called back and a female service agent answered my call. I expressed my concern about the $12 charge and she said it was the Voss water I drank from the minibar. I told her I did not drink anything from the minibar in the room and she simply hung up on me. I will now be filing a dispute with my credit card company.

Unfortunately I cannot recommend Magnolia Hotel Houston. If you do stay there, don't do the express checkout. Go to the front desk and verify they aren't going to hit your credit card with some baseless charge.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Trav3l3rMan
Ryan E, Public Relations Manager at Magnolia Hotel Houston, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and thank you for taking the time to write about your experience. Your comments in regards to staff service quality, WiFi, breakfast, and cookies have all been noted and addressed where possible.

Regards,
Ryan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 27 July 2014

My friend and I have been going to see the Red Sox play in different cities for the past 16 years. This was our first trip to Houston and we wanted to stay in a unique hotel (no big chains for us if we can help it) that was close to the ball park. The Magnolia met all of our needs. Minute Maid park is an easy 15 minute walk straight down Texas Street. The rooms are very clean with roomy bathrooms. If you're into taking a bath (my wife is, not me), there is a nice soaking tub in the bathroom. The price included a really good breakfast including eggs, an omelette station, fruit and cereals. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Overall I was very happy with the choice and would stay here again when I travel to Houston.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviews like yours are the wind in our hang glider. That's powerful. Thanks for staying, and thanks for reviewing.

Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Booked Magnolia on shear proximity to the Minute Maid stadium. My husband and son had positive experience from Super Shuttle, Magnolia staff, and amenities, food Great (brisket and wings) , Downtown Houston very welcoming and extraordinarily friendly.

Stayed July 2014
We love it, when our guest's love it! Thank you for staying with us and thanks for dropping us a line! We hope to do this whole thing again soon someday. Till then,

Alexandria, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Best hotel I ever stayed in, and best of all, I got to experience it paid on a business trip (during the huge annual Offshore Technology Conference held there). This was a few years ago, but when I was there, you could go downstairs at a certain time at night, and help yourself to warm fresh-baked cookies and milk, and mingle with other guests. I especially remember the comfort of the room and bed, and the wonderfully luxurious terry-cloth shower curtain; I looked for the curtain online after the trip, because it was something I kept hoping to find for my own home! Magnificent. If I recall correctly, there was a rooftop pool at the time I stayed there, but, unfortunately, it was closed at the time for some kind of renovation, so I can't comment much on that. Great location for the area. Highly recommend!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Ryan E, Public Relations Manager at Magnolia Hotel Houston, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
We are thrilled you had such a wonderful stay with us. Thanks for the review and keep us in mind next time - and the pool will be open!

Austin, Texas
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

Very nice boutique hotel. Staff was cordial and the room was great. Minor issue was the room had no luggage rack for the suit case.

Valet parking is miserable. If you come in during a busy time you have to circle the block several times before the Valet Lane is clear enough for you to pull in. When I got the car back at the end of my stay I noticed my rim was scratched and a warning light signaling low air in tire was on. They clearly hit a curb or pot hole. As soon as I brought that up they started taking video and pictures of all the cars that pulled up. I wish they did that when I checked in!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for choosing to stay with us, and your experience with the valet has been noted and addressed. We use reviews to help enhance our service, so we thank you for comments.

regards,
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I recently stayed 3 nights at the Magnolia while visiting the Houston area and attending the Beyonce/Jay-Z concert. This hotel was selected due to a friend's recommendation and the close proximity of Minute Maid Park. I normally stay at Marriott properties since I'm a Rewards member. But the Magnolia held up to my Marriott standards and a little more. I booked a few months in advance and got a great rate with the Trip Advisor promo code.

On arrival, I received a complimentary upgrade to a Studio suite, which had a small kitchen area. The complimentary breakfast and happy hour were a plus! The roof-top pool is very small, but the view is awesome. The fitness room offers several options for getting your workout in. The staff was so nice and accommodating. The only con was paying almost $30 per night for valet parking. But that's usually the norm with any downtown hotel. If in the area again, I would definitely come back!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sugardoll80
We love the HOV! Thanks for choosing us for your launching pad, and we hope we get to do it again soon!

best,
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I recently stayed at the Magnolia for its walking convenience to Minute Maid Park for a concert. I will come back for the fantastic service and quality. I wish I could have been there for the cookies and milk service, next time!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thanks for staying and thanks for reviewing. We hope to see you again and this time we hope the cookies make it too!

Best,