“location location”

Magnolia Hotel Houston
Ranked #34 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed 5 July 2010

I have stayed had this location several times the rooms are fantastic one of the best hotel barsm out there and location is perfect to go to astros game a few blocks walk serveral fantastic clubs and reasturants also easy walking distance, or if furthur great shuttle service.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo

Reviewed 5 July 2010

The Hotel and staff were very accomadating as well as courteous. The weekend was very rainy and stormy and outside conditions of the weather were bad, But the inside experience more than made up with a very nice and pleasurable stay. The desk staff, valet staff, manager and resturant/bar staff were great. They knew it was our 36th wedding anniversary and accomadated us and the added attention was most memorable and we will never forget. We will definitely return again. "Thanks Magnolia Hotel" for a great time. "It Feels Good There" 100%
thanks;
Jeff and Janice

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 July 2010

this was a great hotel, very friendly, but we couldnt sleep due to our room being too hot. we asked to have it fixed, the guy cleaned the filter and told us to close the blinds. the room never cooled off. the hall way was nice and cool. we finally left early sunday because it was too uncomfortable. other than that it was a great hote..

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 July 2010

I have stayed here three times and love the rooms, the decor, and the amenities, such as free breakfast. While the valet is a bit pricey, it is worth it for the convenience, the courteous service, and being able to avoid walking through the heavy downpours the day we were there. Wish the checkout was a bit later.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 July 2010

A brief heads up for those of you traveling to Houston. This location doesn't allow "self-parking", you must valet or street park. Street parking is a bit confusing as you must pay the meter Monday-Saturday (until 6PM). The valet was not forthcoming with this info and after a recent stay at the AT&T Executive Center in Austin where a valet wrecked my car, I wasn't excited for a repeat performance. After some frustration with the parking situation and some bad directions (also by the valet), I expressed my bad start to Reginald Smith (the Asst Front Ofc Manager). As it turned out my girlfriend and I had just been engaged and had come to Houston to visit the SW Food Expo as well as celebrate our engagement. He couldn't have been more sympathetic or accommodating in turning a bad experience into a lifetime memory. He upgraded our stay to a suite and sent us a bottle of champagne and chocolate-dipped strawberries to start our romantic weekend off right! He also told us to be sure and check out the pool on the 23rd floor. Were we ever surprised to find it was a rooftop pool with amazing views of downtown Houston. And, by the way, the street parking cost $1.50 for the one hour I had to pay (Saturday from 5-6) and we NEVER touched the vehicle again! Lot's of great restaurants (sushi, Italian, and many more) within walking distance. We also had a great time at the House of Blues taking in an Asleep at the Wheel concert! Though there was a shuttle available to us, we enjoyed the short walk to the Convention Center for our SW Food Expo too. If you are in downtown Houston, the Magnolia Houston is a MUST STAY.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 June 2010

The Valet issue is what really hurt our impression. Upon arrival, we were immediately assisted from the car and into the hotel. The young man asked if I were a guest of the hotel and I said "Yes." I assumed this was to cover any valet charges. It wasn't until an hour or two later in speaking with the front desk that I learned of fees connected with parking. I went back and spoke with the young man at valet, and he informed me that there was a fee but parking street-side was at my own discretion. He also said it was free of charge until meter readers came out at 7am. I told him I would rather do that and he said no problem, that will be $9.00!!! I was floored!!! He charged me $9.00 for a lack of proper communication. I didn't create a stink about it but it put a damper on our stay. It felt like an unprofessional racket!
Also, the ice maker wasn't functioning on the 7th floor. When I called the front desk, the young lady asked me if I wanted to go to another floor and get ice. I told her "Not Really." She then said, well I can get someone to bring you some - which they did after about 20 minutes.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 June 2010

Great location near all major fine arts and sporting venues. Downtown shuttle service is a great perk, but they should extend the hours on the weekends, 11 p.m. is early given the expanse of downtown eateries and clubs. Room was average; bedding so-so, but very clean. Two of the lighting fixtures in the room were inoperative and were a minor annoyance. Better attention to detail needed for such things as I've seen similar comments in other tripadvisor reviews of this hotel. Enjoyed the views from the rooftop pool area.

Given our theater and concert plans for this weekend, "location, location, location" was everything, and the Magnolia certainly met our needs. The staff were friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple