“Hotel walking distance to convention center”

Courtyard Houston Downtown/Convention Center
Ranked #166 of 511 Hotels in Houston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Lansdale, Pennsylvania
“Hotel walking distance to convention center”
Reviewed 26 November 2011

The Courtyard was a nice hotel in downtown Houston. Location was near the Convention Center so we were able to walk. Downtown Houston is deserted after 5 PM. If you are looking for action, this is not the place to stay. The rooms were comfortable. There is a small cafe in the lobby. Just hope that no one calls out at the cafe or you will end up waiting for an eternity.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 19 November 2011

I had an event where we needed to book a conference room for the day. The day before, I shipped a Fed-Ex package of equipment that I was to pickup at the front desk upon arrival. Well, the rental car line was 20 deep at Hobby so I had to haul it in a cab. When I arrived, the hotel had already set everything up for me. The event went without a hitch and I had a bedroom and couch to lounge in for the rest of the day before my flight. (Beats waiting at the airport!) The guy at the front desk was very pleasant. He called me "sir" and helped me immensely when I realized that some of my items didn't get packed. (Packing tape, empty box, etc.)

After we paid the bill, we were notified that we had overpaid by $30.00+ and were being issued a refund check.

The location is great. I was able to do a 10 minute walk and eat at Beck's Prime in the underground city a few blocks away. The hotel itself was very clean. The only complaint I had was that their wireless was extremely slow. I also couldn't get a good 3G signal from the room. I'm not a fan of $10 parking, but it's downtown...so what are ya gonna do?

I wouldn't hesitate to stay here if I found myself back in Houston.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Spankytoes
Reviewed 10 November 2011

The hotel is only about 5-6 blocks from the Convention Center and Minute Maid Park. It is an older hotel on the outside but they have updated the exterior. It is a little tight entering and exiting the valet area at the front door because the whole driveway consists of a loop. There are only two individual stations to check in and out at and no counter space for the customer to even set their purse down which made getting my driver’s license and credit card out challenging. The restaurant hours are only in the morning and evening and there is a limit menu and very pricy. However, you can order from the surrounding restaurants to be delivered. Our room was ok, a little outdated. It would have been nice to have something in the room, which most hotels do, describing restaurants or attractions in the area. There was no pen and paper to write on and not even the yellow pages in our room. You are downtown so some of the "fast food" type restaurants close early and the more upscale restaurants are open late. Every restaurant in downtown has good food. My absolute favorite is Sambuca's!!! We didn't have any problems during our stay and overall it wasn't a negative experience. I just think they should manage the room’s contents and updated information for guest better. One cool thing, they have a BIG touch screen in the lobby that you can check weather, find destinations in downtown plus some other goodies.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
USA
Reviewed 27 October 2011

Stayed there in October 2011. Price was good, service was excellent. It was conveniently located only a few blocks walk from the convention center.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank mary19
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 24 September 2011

I just wanted to take a few minutes and compliment the 916 Dallas Street Courtyard by Marriott. I've stayed there twice this year (May & September 2011) and here is a summary of the good experiences I've had:
Staff: Friendly, Engaging, Knowledgeable on the area and made a great recommendation for Italian food within walking distance.
Food: Short Hours, Pricey like most downtown food, but really high quality, lots of low calorie options.
Rooms: Clean, Cool, updated, with luxurious bedding. I miss it already!
Decor: Updated - Modern
Pool: Small but Nice, not high traffic.
Other: Many of my business partners have stayed at other locations, and by far, they always comment on the Marriott staff being the best in the area.

Enjoy!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank BardOfMoonshae
Washington, DC
Reviewed 8 September 2011

Stayed at this hotel for business for four nights. Honestly, I had pretty low expectations of this place - based on other Courtyard properties. But I was pleasantly surprised. The room was fairly large, with a King bed and sleeper sofa. The bed itself was comfortable, but I really didn't like the extra-soft pillows...I prefer a firm pillow. The other amenities were standard - 42 in flat screen TV, standard shower and desk. I really liked the separate vanity area and the decor of the room, which was pretty modern. I didn't have any maintenance issues (like slow drains in the shower) and I didn't see any signs of real wear in the room (no broken fixtures or tiles, etc.)

The only real disappointment was the wireless service, which was sporatic and only worked when it wanted to. It was pretty slow and unreliable.

The lobby area was nicely decorated and the restaurant bar was pretty good. I ate there for breakfast and after-dinner drinks and both were fine. The restaurant doesn't serve lunch, though...

As far as location, the hotel is pretty convenient to shopping, restaurants and night-life. Macy's is right across the street, as well as a large Forever 21 store and BCBG. There is a tunnel underground with a bunch of fast food restaurants. There are also many upscale sit-down restaurants including McCormick and Schmidt, III Forks, & Maia Bella.

Overall, a pretty good stay...

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank ATrav-El-Holic
St. Louis
Reviewed 24 August 2011

The interior of the hotel is much better than I thought from reading other reviews. I like the modern lobby set-up and the room was nice . Having reasonably priced food available most of the day was helpful.
During the day the area may be different but at my free evening time the surrounding blocks looked rundown and empty.
I like Courtyards, though, and would stay again for business.

• Stayed August 2011