“Just a Basic Downtown Hotel with some problems”

Courtyard Houston Downtown/Convention Center
Ranked #125 of 518 Hotels in Houston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 17 January 2012

Stayed 3 nights here for U.S. Olympics Trials and Marathon. A tad far from the GWB, but close enough. It was nice they had a courtesy van to take us to a restaurant 2 miles away. The problems we had were: 1. The was some sort of septic smell from the toilet whenever we went into the room. Never went away. 2. The toilet always ran. 3. No breakfast included, but the Residence Inn which is attached get a free breakfast. 4. The hot water in the shower sounded like a machine gun. 5. No fridge.

So just a basic stay at a basic hotel which I would rate 3 stars and give it a 3 review.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 11 January 2012

I stayed there for a week in November, the staff was very nice and the hotel was in good repair. The people from the shuttle service they hire are wonderful and caring.

I ran into a small problem and needed to speak with manager. I had left my cell phone number three times. When I was finally able to get the staff to track him down his attitude was condescending and got worse from there. He was extremely confrontational.

It was in stark contrast to the rest of the staff. I left wondering how could they be so nice and he be so an abrasive confrontational.

My next trip back I stayed at Hotel Zaza, kind of a hipster hotel and loved it and it was within walking distance to the hospital. My stay was over 6 weeks this time.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 January 2012

I was there for the MD Anderson Cancer Center Conference at the end of May. There weren't many people who flew in to attend the conference, but living in San Diego, Ca, there was no other choice - didn't want to drive 18+ hours one way. Anyway, we were greeted with the utmost kindess, could check in right away, and had a great room. The most awesome thing about the room - the shower! Yes, that's right, I'd stay at this hotel again, because they had awesome water pressure!!! And, the staff was incredible!!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank DrewSilver
Reviewed 12 December 2011

3am phone rings 3 times, stops, 3:15 rings again for "wake up call for my flight" (I booked with a LARGE group - none with flights) I tell him under no uncertain terms did I have a wake up call and this would be the ONLY night my entire week I would have the time to sleep more than 5 hours and he continued to tell me there was a continential breakfast - I made it quite clear not to call back and hung up; 3:30 I get ANOTHER "wake up call" at which point we insisted on talking to his manager and after 5 minutes on the phone finally did not get another call. If you do not ask for the complimentary breakfast you will be charged, seems they were very unclear and would have charged for the complimentary shampoo bottles if possible. I could have overlooked the not soft towels, hair in the sink, and even the oddity of my car being valet parked in a different spot in the evening than it was that same morning in the garage (we got a jacket out) as well as a different radio station being programed and long wait, when we went to get it out....but cannot overlook being awakened in the middle of the night.... Lacking in security and staff competence I would recommend pretty much anywhere else.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank lakechiro
Reviewed 29 November 2011

Have recently returned to Australia after attending the Quilt Convention. We stayed at the Downtown Courtyard and my stay was made memorable by Gloria Zabak, one of the Shuttle bus drivers. She is a proud Texan and took great delight in telling me all about the Houston buildings etc. She is a fount of knowledge and really would make a wonderful tour guide. Thanks Gloria for making Houston come alive as a great city.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank shirlhut
Reviewed 26 November 2011

The Courtyard was a nice hotel in downtown Houston. Location was near the Convention Center so we were able to walk. Downtown Houston is deserted after 5 PM. If you are looking for action, this is not the place to stay. The rooms were comfortable. There is a small cafe in the lobby. Just hope that no one calls out at the cafe or you will end up waiting for an eternity.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 November 2011

I had an event where we needed to book a conference room for the day. The day before, I shipped a Fed-Ex package of equipment that I was to pickup at the front desk upon arrival. Well, the rental car line was 20 deep at Hobby so I had to haul it in a cab. When I arrived, the hotel had already set everything up for me. The event went without a hitch and I had a bedroom and couch to lounge in for the rest of the day before my flight. (Beats waiting at the airport!) The guy at the front desk was very pleasant. He called me "sir" and helped me immensely when I realized that some of my items didn't get packed. (Packing tape, empty box, etc.)

After we paid the bill, we were notified that we had overpaid by $30.00+ and were being issued a refund check.

The location is great. I was able to do a 10 minute walk and eat at Beck's Prime in the underground city a few blocks away. The hotel itself was very clean. The only complaint I had was that their wireless was extremely slow. I also couldn't get a good 3G signal from the room. I'm not a fan of $10 parking, but it's downtown...so what are ya gonna do?

I wouldn't hesitate to stay here if I found myself back in Houston.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business