“Great for business travel and for families!”

Courtyard Houston Downtown/Convention Center
Ranked #118 of 518 Hotels in Houston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 5 February 2013

I checked in and was greeted by a very upbeat desk clerk, Danielle. My room was spacious, clean and perfect temperature. Usually, I find hotel rooms to be very chilly. The workout room had free weights and some cardio machines and the cool surprise was the beautiful outdoor pool and hot tub area. I wish I'd had a swim suit because it was very inviting! From my rooms view, there looked to be some shopping near the hotel. The staff was friendly...I think this would be a good place for traveling with family, couples, business.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Danielle N

Reviewed 30 January 2013

I did not have a good experience at this facility. Had to call to ask for a hair dryer. Had to call for a blanket. Inside room - nice view of the 3 other sides of the hotel. Necessary to call security in the middle of the night and it took them a LONG time to get to my floor. Had to call the front desk twice. Another day the alarm system sounded ordering all occupants to go to the nearest exit and await further instruction. Housekeeper assured me that it was nothing. I called the front desk. No clue. They'll call me back. When the alarm sounded again, I got out. When I exited the building the fire truck was leaving .... front desk person still clueless about what was going on. Then another announcement by the manager ... sorry for the inconvenience. ... emergency of unknown origin.
Lots of homeless people. Downtown Houston is beat. NOTHING open on Sunday for Breakfast / Lunch. Hotel was clean enough but staff, while friendly, appeared inexperienced? Unprepared? Young (in their career).

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 January 2013

Room was generally clean and staff friendly. Food leaves a tremendous amount to be desired - both my breakfast and room service dinner were barely edible. Good location but I'll avoid eating there if I find myself back in the future.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 January 2013

I recently stayed at this Marriott for leisure travel. I've stayed here a couple of times and I enjoy the location. It's very close to the Toyota center and Convention. The rooms are clean and it has a modern decor.

I left an item at the hotel and Pebbles (Management Team) worked really hard to address my complaint. The item I left was not that expensive, but she went out of her way to either find it or reimburse me. I also travel weekly for business and it's not very often that mgmt takes accountability for the service of their hotels. Thanks, Pebbles!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank LadyTraveler40
Reviewed 2 January 2013

We stayed at the courtyard Marriott for New Year's Eve. The rooms were nice and the bed was very comfortable. We also liked how close it was to our venue, The House of Blues. After checkout things turned for the worse. We ended up having to wait two hours for our car to be brought from valet. I understand that they were busy and there were several people waiting. The problem was that there was no organization and no one seemed to know what was going on. People who checked out 30 minutes after us got their cars before us. There were families with children that waited over 2 hours. Some of our friends had their kids with a babysitter that they were trying to get home to. We missed New Year's lunch with our family. Not exactly how we anticipated spending our New Year's day. I am very disgruntled with their service and am calling the corporate office tomorrow.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed 23 December 2012

I spend a lot of time in Houston and have stayed mostly at the Residence Inn which shares the building with the Courtyard as they are both owned by the Marriott. Though they are both decent hotels, for the price, the Residence Inn is a better value.

The two hotels have the same parking and loading area and you can either hotel from the Courtyard Lobby (no self parking - though I would not recommend parking off site) - a lot of homeless hang out there, and though this is a great area during the day, it is a little different at night, pay the $24 per night valet, it is comparable to other hotels in the area.

Rooms at the Courtyard are quite small. Did not get much special treatment as a Platinum member, not even a free breakfast (which has been common since they converted to the Bistro). If you stay next door you get a buffet and social hour 3 days a week. If you look at pricing, normally the residence inn runs $10 more per night for a Studio versus a standard room at the Courtyard, which is my view is well worth it. If you are using points, they are both the same level.

Hotel is across the street from the Houston Commons - which offers several great restaurants (III Forks, McCormicks, Guadalajara). Walking distance to many of the large office centers and to the Toyota Center as well so great location.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank jason31574
Reviewed 5 December 2012 via mobile

This is an older building remodeled and mad into a nice Courtyard. I liked the location. I was working at the Convention Center so I was able to jump on the free green link bus and it would drop you off at two different spots right at the Convention Center. Also the Hotel had a free shuttle that would take you there. The light rail and many bus stops surround the building. So wherever you want to go it isn't hard to find transportation. The room was nicely decorated but lacked a couple of things I like. The bedside lamp did not have a socket but I was able to plug devices in a empty socket underneath the stand. The TV did not have a media center but the RCA jacks were accessible to hook my iPad up. The closet had hooks which are nice.

I went to the pool on night to see if I could swim. It wasn't heated and very cold. So I checked out he hot tub and it was to hot and over chlorinated. As I sat in there relaxing the largest cucharacha I have ever seen came crawling out of one of the cracks in the cement. I guess they grow everything large in Texas. I tried to divert him by splashing water but to no avail. I had to fend him off with my shoe to save my chili wings that I purchased downstairs at the bistro. Crisis averted. Watch out for "La gigante cucharacha" pool side.

• Stayed: November 2012