“Good use of an older building”

Courtyard Houston Downtown/Convention Center
Ranked #162 of 511 Hotels in Houston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Lafayette, Louisiana
“Good use of an older building”
Reviewed 21 October 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend to watch an event at the Toyota Center. The proximity to the event was wonderful. We were just a few blocks away which saved us time and money.

The hotel is a wonderful use of an older building. We had a corner room, which was extremely spacious and flooded with natural light because of the two windows. The high ceilings and roomy layout made for a very nice stay. The room was also very clean, and the furnishing/linens in great shape.

We ate one dinner and two breakfasts in the bistro. The food was good and reasonably priced. We didn't experience a significant delay in receiving our food, even though they were quite busy during the breakfast hour.

The staff was very nice and accomodating. They recommended a mexican restaurant down the road that was delicious.

Besides being close to the Toyota Center, the location leaves some things to be desired. Downtown Houston apparently closes down for the weekend at 6pm on Friday. There was almost nothing to do in the area, beyond a few restaurants. Also, there is a pretty hefty homeless population that gather next door. This made walking around at night very uncomfortable.

I recommend this hotel for anyone doing business in the immediate area or coming for an event.

Room Tip: The corner room was very spacious. The train ran right next door, but it wasn't too noisy.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Ryan F, General Manager at Courtyard Houston Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel!

I was thrilled to hear you chose to stay with us while in town for an event at the Toyota Center and you took advantage of our Courtyard Bistro for breakfast and dinner.

We truly value your business and look forward to your next visit!

Ryan Frederick

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
San Diego
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I stayed at this hotel 20-30 times over the last year for business. The Marriot Courtyard and Residence Inn are in the same connected building.

Location: The hotel is in the center of downtown. This can be a good or bad, depending on the purpose of your trip. I was working one block away from the hotel, so the location was a tremendous benefit for me and was the primary reason I came back to this hotel.

Rooms: Rooms are very old and run-down. Some are dirty (had an ant infestation in one which I found in my bag after I left the room). The bathroom is very old and dated, with old fixtures. Overall, the rooms are standard and old, but functional.

Gym: The Coutryard has two decent treadmills and an elliptical - crowded in the mornings. The Residence Inn has one decent treadmill and one ancient treadmill that doesn't function for running. Both have dumbbells, but no other equipment in the small gym.

Other: The Courtyard has the "Bistro" which has surprisingly decent food with beer/wine. They recently stopped room service, so no room service in the hotel. The front desk has always been nice/helpful. No complaints.

Also note that this hotel is not in the best of locations. There are several areas where homeless people congregate immediately outside of the hotel. In my one-block walk to work, I usually get asked for change 2-3 times. Single female travelers should take care walking after dark.

Value: I have seen rates at this hotel from $175 - $450/night. When the rate is above $200, I stay in the Galleria area and drive, which is less convenient, but there's no way this hotel is worth $400+/night.

If you're working downtown and the rate is reasonable, this is a decent place to stay. If you're on vacation, there is really no reason to stay in this hotel. Find a location closer to the Houston attractions.

Room Tip: Starbucks is located in the front of the building.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Ryan F, General Manager at Courtyard Houston Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel!

Based on your feedback I wanted to inform you we are updating our guestrooms and expanding our fitness center this December and I think you will find both updates just what you were looking for!

We truly value your business and thank you for choosing us while in town for work!

Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 October 2013

Generally competent hotel with a great location near the Convention Center.Friendly staff. I've never been a fan of 'The Bistro' concept, although I've seen it work reasonably well at other locations. The problem is that it can't handle volume - it's too easy to build large backups at peak times. McDonalds has figured out how to do this but Marriott hasn't. Went there the first day and unfortunately there was a delivery snafu where a lot of orders got lost and it was clear th#t they didn't know who had ordered what. I ate elsewhere after that.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Ryan F, General Manager at Courtyard Houston Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, 8 October 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel!

It was great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! However I sincerely apologize for your Bistro experience. I have shared your comments with our team and we are committed to improving our service during high demand times.

Thank you again for staying with us!

San Diego, California
Reviewed 5 September 2013

My husband had a conference in Houston & we stayed at this Marriott for 2 of the 5 nights we were in town. The location couldn't have been any better, only a few blocks to the conference & right across the street were fantastic restaurants, bars & some shopping! The only thing I wasn't 100% happy with was the service at the front desk, the reception was lacking in hospitality & customer service.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Stephanie D
Ryan F, General Manager at Courtyard Houston Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, 13 September 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel!

I was thrilled to hear you chose us when in town for a conference! We take extreme pride in being clean and friendly, I appreicate you commenting on our front desk team. This is not how we normally operate and I will ensure to share your feedback with our team.

We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Clearwater, FL
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Spent 5 days and nights here for a convention. Staff is outstanding which is normal for Marriott. It's walking distance to convention center. It is a "challenging" neighborhood as you must walk thru a constant wave of panhandlers to go anywhere. Somewhat uncomfortable having my wife take a walk alone, there are any number of good restaurants and a downtown park closeby.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank jimvet1826
Ryan F, General Manager at Courtyard Houston Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel!

It was great to hear you found our staff service to be OUTSTANDING! I will be sure to share your comments with them.

Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon!

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Stayed here for one night on business. Was very concerned given low rating. There is nothing wrong with this hotel. Clean, large room. Good service. Would stay again. Please note that
I am very picky about where I stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Sabanator
Ryan F, General Manager at Courtyard Houston Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, 27 August 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel!

I was thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and found our hotel to be very clean and friendly!

Thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to your next visit with us!

Hollister, California, USA
Reviewed 25 July 2013

I searched my smartphone for hotels near Minute Maid Park, found the Marriot Courtyard to be among the lowest price value and walking distance to park. I reserved a room at 2:45 pm, went to the hotel at 3 pm and they had my reservation ready, that was sweet! Used the valet for parking no readily available parking obvious. Room was spacious clean, also saw that the Toyota center was also nearby so if you want to see the Houston Rockets this is an ideal location. The service was outstanding, front desk always seemed to know my name and knew I came to see my A's play the Astros. In the morning my friend whom I attended the game with had left a towel and some souvenir cups at the front desk for me. When I checked out again being addressed by name, I had forgotten about them. When I received my car they were sitting in the passenger seat, talk about service. Really enjoyed the place and give their personnel an A plus rating for courtesy. I wished I had taken some names. Date of my stay was July 22, 2013.
Nice amenities and great service will stay there again.

Room Tip: Upper levels give good view of the cityl
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Andrew V
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel!

WOW! What a great review to share with our team! They all work very hard to ensure every single guest recieves world class service!

Thank you again for choosing us for the A's Astros game. We look forward to your next visit!