Courtyard Houston Downtown/Convention Center
GreenLeadersBronze level
Glendale, Arizona
“Not bad...”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

The hotel overall is a decent choice. Reception was wonderful, kind, helpful and friendly. The lobby was comfortable but the room itself has a number of thing that could be improved upon. The curtains didn't have the stick to move it open or closed and you couldn't close it enough to block out the sun. Taking a shower involves standing in a half filled tub by the time you are finished (and this was the result in two different rooms). The AC worked great and there are a few good choices to get meals that are close by.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Ryan F, General Manager at Courtyard Houston Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel!

It is great to hear you enjoyed our clean and friendly hotel! I sincerely apologize for the tub drain and curtain issues you expereinced. I can assure you this is not a normal occurence and I will be personally be following up on both items to ensure we correct moving forward.

We truly appreciate you staying with us and hope you will come back again!

Ryan Frederick

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
New York
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Check-in was fast and friendly and the valet was efficient (although I only needed to retrieve my car one time during an early checkout). It seems as if this hotel has had valet problems in the past, but it worked out fine for me, although the $30 fee is pricey.

The rooms were very clean and the bed comfortable, but the angle of the TV was a little awkward and the comfort of the couch less than idea. Also, the sink is outside the shower/toilet area, which I find to be an inconvenience. For those who like mini-bars, there didn't seem to be any items available and there were no vending machines on each floor, as is customary at other Marriott Courtyards. Also, keep in mind that breakfast is not provided free.

As for location, this hotel provides convenient access to many destinations, including the convention center and sports stadiums. However, there isn't much open around the hotel at night, but that seems to be the case for most of the downtown area. In other words, don't forget to eat before you return to the hotel at night.

The star of this hotel is the workout area, which has a variety of cardio and machines as well as free weights ranging up to 50 lbs. Although unused, the pool area and hot tub also seemed appealing.

If you're going to workout or use the pool, the Courtyard Houston Downtown is recommended, especially if the minor room inconveniences do not bother you. Otherwise, it might be worthwhile to shop around. That's not to say this hotel doesn't merit a stay, but it doesn't exceed the minimum expectations for an establishment of its class.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Ryan F, General Manager at Courtyard Houston Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel!

It was great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, espcieally our newly renovated fintess center!

We truly value your business and look forward to your next visit!

Carle Place, New York
Reviewed 3 April 2014

I have probably spent more nights at this hotel than any other in the US. And finally, they knocked down the wall on the tiny workout area and expanded it significantly. Well done! I realize that exercise areas at Courtyards are always small, but they don't absolutely have to be. Finally, they have made this one decent. As far as another reviewer talking about the neighborhood outside the hotel: yeah, it isn't great. But it isn't that bad. It's pretty much typical downtown Houston which just isn't all that glamorous. You'll get that anywhere.

Room Tip: Ask to not be staring into the big ugly middle of the place. Ask to be placed looking at the street.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Ryan F, General Manager at Courtyard Houston Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel! I am thrilled you like our newly expanded fintess center will all brand new equipment!

We truly value your business and thank you for always choosing us!

Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Not a bad place to stay in Downtown Houston when you're traveling through... Rooms are well appointed and the lobby was quite nice. Service in the restaurant was slow, but that's to be expected when a restaurant is slammed. Check in was friendly which is always nice. Never stayed in Houston before, so I can't compare to the competition.

PS. Two things I'd like to mention to management (so you non-management folk can stop reading now):
(1) I asked the woman at check-out if the hotel was a recent conversion from a Choice Hotels brand and she said No. I'm sure I confused her, but I'm in the industry and can tell when something is strange. The comforter on my bed displayed a tag showing was from Choice Hotels International as opposed to the Marriott brand. Obviously didn't impact my stay... I was simply curious.
(2) Valet was slightly inconvenient during check out (not at the fault of the hotel, as there was construction closing the street out front). First, the number to call on the valet ticket was not operational. Second, there were some guests that were clearly upset because of the delay, but it was beyond unacceptable for the attendants at the valet stand to be trash talking the guests that were upset while I was standing just a few feet away. I understand that employees will chit-chat about the issues going on at work, but there's clearly not enough coaching and supervision of the ladies and gents outside working the curb. Professionalism is key, regardless of your department.

Just wanted to give a whole-rounded response! That's all! :)

Room Tip: "Higher the room, better the view." - Captain Obvious
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Ryan F, General Manager at Courtyard Houston Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel!

It was great to hear you enjoyed our clean and friendly hotel! We are actually the former Humble Oil corporate office that was converted to both Marriott properties.

I sincerely apologize for the valet delays you expereinced. This is not normal for us and we have taken action to ensure this is not an issue in the future.

Langhorne, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

I had a nice stay at the CY Downtown. It's in a good location.
The staff greeted me warmly. Check -in was very smooth.
These are typical CY rooms and typical CY breakfast. The breakfast area worked out nicely for a 6:30 AM breakfast.
I will stay here again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel!

I was thrilled you enjoyed our clean and frienldy hotel!

We look forward to your next visit!

Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I got there on Friday afternoon and noticed immediately that the area was full of homeless people. Girl at the front desk was rude at check in and I went to my room. It was super clean and comfortable, the bed was great, there was a little fridge too. The view was toward the middle of the hotel. There was no mini bar, no Movies on demand, no menu, no help with the area, we had to search for everything by ourselves. On Saturday, the same girl was rude again as I was asking about the breakfast places. Their bistro ( hardly recognizable, I thought it was Starbucks) was closed and I never found out their hours. I went outside and very nice parking guy walked me by the hand around the corner to Starbucks. There I got a whole bunch of stuff for the room and they didn't have a bag! Really? I had to stuff 4 bottles and other food in my purse. It's just silly, give me a bag Mr. Starbuck!!! On Sunday we went to Rodeo and took Metro rail as the stop is just outside the hotel- super convenient! We bought tickets, but nobody is checking that anyway! We went to the pool area and used the hot tub, but the pool was too cold. On Monday, the construction continued and was super loud! Yeah, there is a new building coming up right next to the hotel and they're just pouring the foundation so good luck with that noise!!!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! It was great to hear you enjoyed your clean and comforatable room and also used the Metro Rail to get to and from Reliant Center.

I sincerely apologize for the issues you expereinced while staying with us. I can assure you these are not normal for us and I hope you will come back and see us.

Ryan Frederick

Travellers are raving about these Houston hotels

Lorena, Texas
Reviewed 24 March 2014

My family stayed here 2 nights for a volleyball tournament at the GRB convention center. Upon check in, the staff and valet were very friendly and informative. The next morning, it took over 10 minutes for someone to finally answer the phone at the front desk. When the lady finally answered, I asked for my car to be pulled around and told her I would need to leave the hotel about 15 min later. She proceeded to tell me that they would "do their best, but they were short handed and could not guarantee it". It took over 40 minutes to get my car and I am pretty sure I only got it because I threw a big fit at the valet guys!! There were people there saying they called well after I did and they were getting their cars before me! When I went to talk to the lady at the front desk, I told her that I wanted the valet parking charge taken off my bill and she just asked me my room number and said "ok". There were no apologies and she was definitely not sympathetic! The valet guy told me that they were just unprepared for the amount of people staying there and it seemed like everyone needed their car at the same time. This surprised me a little, because I had gotten an e-mail from the sales coordinator from this hotel before my stay asking several questions about how they could make our stay a smooth one since they had not hosted this tournament event before! Why go through the trouble of sending e-mails and asking questions and then not be prepared? If you will be needing your car at all, this is not the hotel for you! The walls are very thin and the rooms definitely needed some upgrading! And by the way, if you do not use valet, you have to walk a pretty good ways to park your car and it is still not free to do so!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel! We are glad you chose to stay with us while in town for a volleyball tournament!

I sincerely apologize for the long wait the first morning for valet. This is not at all normal for us and I have already taken action to ensure this doesnt happen again.

I hope you will give us another chance the next time you are in Houston.