“Quick 30th Birthday Getaway” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Courtyard Houston Downtown/Convention Center

Courtyard Houston Downtown/Convention Center
Ranked #138 of 501 Hotels in Houston
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Quick 30th Birthday Getaway”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Well when we arrived we were greeted by Houston in valet , very nice gentlemen but they all were great but his name is the one that stuck out ( by the way valet is the only parking options @ $30 a day). We were able to check in with no problems. When we got to our room it was clean, but we had a horrible view which was ok cause I didn't come to look out the window anyway. The only problems I had was the expensive parking $30 dollars a day plus tipping every time we got in and out added up, also I wish they would have had a concierge because even though we had family in Houston, we would have loved some recommendations on the nightlife. Also because the Courtyard and the Residence Inn are connected and have the same room numbers we had someone trying to enter our room, which made my mother and I a little uncomfortable because what if we were not in the room. When I addressed it with the front desk I was told that it always happens ....so maybe more direction can be given so this doesn't keep happening but Overall we had a good stay!!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Ryan F, General Manager at Courtyard Houston Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Thank you for takng the time to review our hotel!

We were thrilled you chose to stay with us for your 30th Birthday Getaway! It is great to hear you ecountered gret service and enjoyed the clean room!

I wanted to let you know that our valet charge is the most cost effective of the downtown hotels and I will personally follow up on the guestroom number confusion, this is not normal for us.

We truly apprecate you choosing to stay with us!

Ryan Frederick

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Longview, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

This is the second stay at this location and after five days at a resort hotel in Galveston, it was a bit underwhelming. Perhaps I'm a bit jaded and the hotel is fine actually, but being in an historic commercial building, the rooms are somewhat small and could use an upgrade or refreshing. Now the picky things, there was one(1) coffee packet in the room for two adult coffee drinkers...not fun in the morning, most(if not ALL) Courtyards I've stayed I at least offer complimentary coffee in the lobby...this one has a Starbucks, and only parking is valet at $30.31 a night ( I know it's Houston, but isn't this a little steep). All this said, the staff is truly nice and attentive, and when we come back to town, we'll probably stay here again. There's something about being downtown in a big city that beats the pants off staying in an outlying area which could be anywhere, USA.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank texmarc
Ryan F, General Manager at Courtyard Houston Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! It was great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! You are probably already aware of this but I wanted to let you know that our parking rate is the lowest of all the downtown hotels in Houston and that the Courtyard brand is no longer offering complimentary coffee as we offer a Starbucks in the lobby.

Thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to your next visit!

Benton, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

Can't rave enough about the comfy bed...slept through the night, which is unusual for me unless I'm in my own bed. Very helpful and friendly staff. The only "down" side is the drive into and out of the hotel entrance - it looks like a one-way exit and we had to circle the block before we realized it was also the entrance. Of course, hotel is in the middle of downtown, so not much room for a driveway. I don't like having to pay for valet parking, but attendants are extra courteous and fast.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Linda40033
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel!

I was thrilled to hear you called us a Top of the line Hotel! We do have plans by the end of the year to open up our front drive Entrance/Exit.

Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon!

USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

I stayed at the hotel to attend a conference at Rice in mid-April 2014. I would have driven right by the hotel since it is set back from the road but the taxi driver knew where the hotel was. My check-in was very easy and the front desk personnel were friendly and helpful. I asked them for maps of the area so that I could walk around before dinner. My room was large, clean, and very comfortable. My Wi-Fi worked so I could use my IPad. I walked around downtown briefly but there wasn't much to see so I returned to my room to rest. I bought dinner from the cafe in the lobby. I had veggies and hummus, soup, and a chicken bahn mi. The food was very good although it was expensive. I was able to catch a cab to the conference and caught one back to the hotel. I arranged with the driver to be my cabbie for the trip. There is an above-ground subway but I didn't want to get lost and it was easier (although very expensive) to catch a cab. I ate from the cafe the second night also. My stay at the hotel was very nice and I would stay there again. The only downside is the expensiveness of the cab rides. It was $20 to Rice University one way and the ride to and from the airport is $60 one way.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Ryan F, General Manager at Courtyard Houston Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel! It was great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! Everything from our the large spacious and clean rooms to our downtown location.

We look forward to your next visit!

Denver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

I stayed at the Courtyard Houston Downtown in February 2014 for an event at the South Texas College of Law. As you arrive it does not look too great from the curb, but inside it is very nice. Had a room on the 5th floor which appeared to have all new finishes and furniture. Bath area was fine and stocked with the usual amenities. The room was quiet as it was all the way at the end of the corridor from the elevator- would recommend this if you are concerned about noise. I only stayed 2 nights and only used the lobby café and my room, so I cannot speak to the fitness center or other facilities. There is, of course, a Starbucks outside the front entrance if that is part of your morning ritual (yes, it's a part of mine. I know it's sad...)
I agree with other reviewers that the neighborhood around the hotel is a little sketchy- there is some redevelopment going on right across the street, but it is still under construction and it appeared that the redevelopment efforts have not gotten much traction as yet. Still, if you are staying in downtown Houston, or going to the STCL (only about a 5 minute walk, if that), the Courtyard is a good option.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Ryan F, General Manager at Courtyard Houston Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel!

I was thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay with us!

We look forward to your next visit!

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

The hotel and staff were fine, but the area is AWFUL. There's a ton of construction and empty buildings within at least a six block radius. And for some reason, the few stores in the surrounding area are closed on Saturdays. I live in NYC and feel safer here than I did in that desolate section of town.

I hate to say this because the hotel was nice, but if you're going to Minute Maid, stay at one of the hotels across the street from there.

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Ryan F, General Manager at Courtyard Houston Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! I was thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay at our hotel!

We are excited about the addition of the new buildings downtown and what they will bring to the fastest growing city in the US.

We appreciate you staying with us!

Glendale, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

The hotel overall is a decent choice. Reception was wonderful, kind, helpful and friendly. The lobby was comfortable but the room itself has a number of thing that could be improved upon. The curtains didn't have the stick to move it open or closed and you couldn't close it enough to block out the sun. Taking a shower involves standing in a half filled tub by the time you are finished (and this was the result in two different rooms). The AC worked great and there are a few good choices to get meals that are close by.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel!

It is great to hear you enjoyed our clean and friendly hotel! I sincerely apologize for the tub drain and curtain issues you expereinced. I can assure you this is not a normal occurence and I will be personally be following up on both items to ensure we correct moving forward.

We truly appreciate you staying with us and hope you will come back again!