Courtyard Houston Downtown/Convention Center
GreenLeadersBronze level
League City, Texas
“Just okay”
Reviewed 29 March 2010

Upon arrival, the line for valet was so long it went into the street. This seemed to go on all day and night as they were very short staffed. The front desk was so brisk with check-in it bordered on rude. I don't expect the desk clerk to roll out the red carpet for me, but a simple "Hello and welcome to the Courtyard Marriott" and "Thank you" would have been nice. He didn't even direct us to our rooms. Good thing I have half a brain and can figure out where the elevators are.
The room was in a great location as I LOVE corner rooms but the convention of cheerleaders was not. I booked this hotel with the intention of using the hot tub. To my dismay, it was broken. I called the front desk and reported it and was greeted once again by "Mr. Smiley". Sigh. He informed me the repairman would be there in an hour. I didn't get a chance to check.
All in all... just okay. Not the best, not the worst.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Lubbock
Reviewed 9 September 2009

I had business in the downtown area of Houston. I am always loyal to Marriott so I tried the Courtyard in Downtown Houston. It was a great place for my short trip. The front desk people were really nice, the restaurant had great food & friendly service, my room was very clean. I will be going back to Houston in November and I for sure be staying at this hotel!!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank Wendycrazygirl
Omaha, NE
Reviewed 16 August 2009

Spent 8 nights at this hotel in July 2009. Spent 10 nights here in July 2008. On both trips we were visiting our son who lives in an apartment in Midtown. He has one bedroom and really no space for overnight guests. This location works well as it is right on the light rail. The light rail can get you many places that you would like to visit. Midtown is only couple of stops away which was great for us. You can also get to the museum district as well as Reliant Park to name a few other stops. Chttp://www.ridemetro.org/SchedulesMaps/RailSched.aspx If you go to Midtown you must eat dinner at the Reef. It was voted the #1 seafood restaurant by Bon Appetit Magazine and having dined there both visits I would agree with them!http://www.reefhouston.com/ After dinner check out Howl at the Moon nightclub for a fun time. In 2008 the area across the street from Marriott was under construction. This construction is now complete and the new Houston Pavillion is now open. http://www.houstonpavilions.com/ Although some of the space has not yet been occupied there is already some very nice shopping and restaurants. House of Blues and McCormick and Schmick's is open. Right across the street from House of Blues is an Italian Restaurant called Josephine's. This is a family friendly atmosphere with homemade pasta with very reasonable prices. Macy's is also right across the street which has an entrance to the downtown pedistrian tunnels. http://www.discoverhoustontours.com/Welcome%20to%20the%20Downtown%20Houston%20Tunnel%20System%20020722.htm
The Courtyard and Residence Inn are located in the same building and share the same swimming pool. The pool area is very nice and located outside on the 3rd floor. There is also a hottub. There is a fitness center looking out over the pool area. Complimentary towels are available for your use in these areas. The rooms are what you would expect from the Courtyard. Clean and comfortable. We love the comfort of Marriott beds which is why we always try to stay at a Marriott property. In 2008 we were not dissapointed. This last trip however the bed was not comfortable. I called the front desk and asked them if they could put some sort of a topper on it. When we returned later the 2nd night the room was made up and a message left on our phone that they had addressed the issue. The bed was no different so I am not sure what they did other than change the linens. In the room directory they had information on how you can purchase one of these beds for your home. We joked about ordering one for the room. After discussion we decided to stay in the room as it was late and we were already unpacked and settled in. The bed was not horrible but it was not what we expect from a Marriott. The staff was friendly. Ben is either no longer there or he was on vacation. He worked at the front desk and as other posters noted went above and beyond. Had dinner one night in the hotel restaurant. We were surprised on how good the food was. All in all a good visit. Next time we might try the Residence Inn. It is a bit more expensive but if you are a breakfast eater and like a late afternoon cocktail hour this is included in the price. The only BIG negative I have on this property is the cost of parking. They want $22 a day to park a car. There is also mandintory valet parking and the car hops are always wanting tips. So if you come and go several times during the day you can be easily over $30 a day. This year we opted to not have a car. This worked for us as we used the light rail and on further away outings such as to Galveston our son had his car. It was also cheaper for our visitors to park across the street at the Houston Pavillion when visiting us. If you want to be in the Downtown area I would reccomend this property.

Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Brownknee
United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 March 2009

I stayed at the Courtyard Marriott in Houston on business in March. I have previously stayed at Marriott Hotels on business and always enjoyed great service and facilities.

The hotel is right in the centre of the Houston downtown area - the main reason I chose it was because I was visiting Houston on business, and the offices I was working in were 4 blocks away. It is approx.45 mins away from the airport via taxi. There are several restaurants/shops within walking distance from the hotel, including a McDonalds - more on these later!

The hotel itself is a modern tower block building, which has a well laid out reception. It has an adjoining bar/breakfast area with a Starbucks adjoining.

Check-in was fast with no problems - staff were friendly, but not the most efficient and, on the late night shift, NOT very helpful.

The room was large and clean, with a huge double bed. All bathroom fittings worked - plenty of towels and toiletries! TV was adequate, with a good range of channels, but I think that the size of the TV was very small for the room. On a plus side, Internet access was FREE! Other hotel chains - take note!

The hotel has an outdoors pool, which is a good size, but is NOT heated - and it was absolutely freezing! During my stay NO-ONE tried to use it because it was so cold - it is only usable in the high summer months. There was a small whirlpool jacuzzi (also outside) and a small fitness centre.

I ordered room service from the hotel menus a couple of times, and whilst delivery was swift and excellent, the food was DIABOLICAL - it really was awful! My advice is NOT to order evening meals from this hotel.

This brings me to other options - there is a McDonalds, and a Subway nearby, and some other restaurants - yet they all shut at 7pm! You can't get anything to eat outside the hotel after this time! I asked the reception for help with a delivery service, and they were complete unhelpful - it took me 5 mins to get anyone to suggest a Chinese or pizza delivery service! Once I got a number, NO-ONE in Houston would deliver after 10pm.

There are some things to do in the area - a cinema is 4 blocks walk away, ditto the theatre - but walking just this short distance means you get accosted by vagrants, some of whom are very offensive.

The hotel is not bad, but the district is lousy. I won't be staying there again.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank coopuk
New York, NY
Reviewed 20 October 2008

was in town to catch some baseball at Minute Maid Park.

This hotel was very nice. Our room had super-high ceilings, was very clean, and was very quiet.

The roof-top pool was a nice touch but it was closed b/c someone had gone to the bathroom in it and the staff was cleaning it up. So...on a hot June day in Houston, we had to sit in the jacuzzi.

There isn't much to do in Downtown Houston on a weekend. One walk around the hotel block will tell you that. There are lots of transients in the area but the hotel does a good job keeping them out.

Great breakfast buffet in the morning. LOts of cabs lined up to take you places. Great choice, just wish there was more to do in the neighborhood.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank keefnyc
Wimberley, Texas
Reviewed 12 September 2008

Fast, easy, and correct room check-in. Very friendly and helpful staff. Rooms recently updated, but still not of the highest quality furnishings. Hotel in a great location--near convention center, shopping, and easy access to highways. BEWARE of construction noise on two sides of the hotel!! We were awakened early on a Sunday by the noise. Ben @ front desk, as always, friendly and helpful, changed and upgraded our room for the next 2 nights. A much quieter room at the opposite side of the facility offered a better night's rest, except for the very soft bed. We are used to a much firmer mattress and both had backaches from the bedding. Starbucks located both in lobby and next door. Breakfast buffet a little prices, but staff again very pleasant.

• Liked — Helpful, Friendly Staff
  • Disliked — Construction on Two Sides of Hotel
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 18 August 2008

We were attending a concert and this was very close. We were able to catch a cab to the toyota center (due to rain) but were able to walk back to the hotel which was about six blocks away. The staff was very friendly. We ate breakfast and dinner at the hotel. The food and service were great. The room was very clean and we had a great view. The pool and hot tub were awesome and so was the workout facility. The parking is $17 a day. But you have in/out privilages at no additional cost. Overall...great place to stay for singles and/or families.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank bercha