“Great for a Business Trip”

Residence Inn Houston Downtown/Convention Center
Ranked #113 of 517 Hotels in Houston
GreenLeadersGold level
Erie, Colorado
“Great for a Business Trip”
Reviewed 13 July 2013 via mobile

I stayed for 5 days for the convention downtown. I thought the location was almost perfect. It was a ten minute walk to the convention center, and seemed to always be just a few blocks from whereever we were going. Minute Maid park was 15 minutes, the light rail was 1/2 block, and there were a slew of great restaurants. The House of Blues was a 5 minute walk. The room was bigger than expected and very modern. I was surprised by a well stocked kitchen and full sized fridge. The bed was very comfortable and city noise wasn't too bad. I was really impressed by the staff. The front desk people were great and everyone went out of their way to make sure I was comfortable. The complementary breakfast was fresh and the dining room was very clean and well kept. If all Residence Inns are like this, I'll be staying at more of them.

Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Ryan F, General Manager at Residence Inn Houston Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, 27 August 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time review our hotel!

I am the new GM of the hotel and can assure you all issues you encountered have already been addressed. It is our goal to ensure all guests find a friendly, safe and clean hotel.

Thank you for staying with us and I hope you will give us anther chance in the future!

Ryan Frederick

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Jackson, Mississippi
Reviewed 2 June 2013

Had a fairly nice stay. Hotel decor very modern. Rooms very spacious. Decor in rooms very nice. Bed very comfortable. However, they do not offer king beds. Why not??? Queen bed was comfortable, but not long enough. Bathroom very nice. Was nice to have carpet in the sink area before transitioning to tile in the bathroom. They had popcorn available to microwave in the room, which was a nice snack. Breakfast was wonderful! Freshly, cooked scrambled eggs--the real thing, not powdered. Also had extras like french toast, potatoes, fresh cut fruit, yogurt, waffles, and the rest. Excellent personnel. Fitness room had dumbbells. Pool very shallow at 3 ft, so difficult to swim laps. Major negative: bedroom walls are thin. I could hear my neighbors talking. Also be ready for the waste truck emptying the dumpster early in the morning! I did not get a good night sleep.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
hallsm271, Manager at Residence Inn Houston Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, 3 June 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our property. I am sorry to hear of the disturbances during your stay but am glad to hear of them so that we may better serve you. We are working on bettering each guest experience and look forward to welcoming you back so you too can experience the difference.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 29 May 2013

I am from Houston and this was my 2nd stay at this hotel. We had a friend's birthday party (in the Pavilions - about 2-3 blocks away) and wanted a place that was close in walking distance so we would not have to drive across town. We did the valet parking which is shared with Courtyard hotel next door. After parking, you walk past the bus stop area to the front entrance. Just be advised of some of the strange characters near the bus stop, especially if you arrive at night. The light rail line is near that bus stop as well. Also, there is a Starbucks near the parking area prior to the entrance to the hotel. The hotel staff was friendly and check in was very fast.

The room was clean, except for a glass in the bathroom that looked like it has been used by the previous guest but I just hid it under the sink so I wouldn't have to look at it. Otherwise, the room was in good condition. Our view was across from the Police department building. My previous stay was viewing the windows of the connecting Courtyard hotel so I did prefer the street view of the HPD.

Breakfast was good - to me, they have a decent choice of hot and cold foods.

Overall, it enjoyed my stay and probably will continue to stay here for downtown events.

Room Tip: Choose rooms that Travis St (West side) as they as least have a view of the street and not the windo...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
ThankYouForStaying, General Manager at Residence Inn Houston Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, 2 June 2013
Thank you, Traveler, for the great feedback on Tripadvisor! I do apologize for the dirty glass - we'll make sure we don't miss things like that in the future, but I'm thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us overall. We look forward to having you as our guest again soon.
Charlotte Tyer
USA
Reviewed 17 April 2013

The room was spacious, clean and nice. They have a nice breakfast downstairs and I would have given it higher ratings except for a couple of things:
1) Parking was posted as $20 per night - i hate this - just add it to my room fee and don't remind me every time I have to get the valet (& tip them) to get my car. I'm not cheap but I don't like to always have to have cash out to tip, time to call and get a car out, etc. (also ties into #2)
2) I know this isn't the hotels fault but coming out (even in the morning) there were homeless or 'other wanderers' outside. You had to have your key out to buzz into the lobby. But what WAS the hotel staff's fault was that they didn't tell us that from the INSIDE of the hotel on our floor (6th) and maybe other floors??) we could go from the Marriott Residence into the Marriott regular hotel and pick up our car and use the Marriott's little Bistro. We had to figure this out for ourselves (unfortunately on the LAST night there!). :( Previous nights, we would drop the car and walk about 1/2 a block to be buzzed into the lobby--we could have gone directly into the door by the valet and been 'safely' inside. This is a must know for all guests!
And finally a rather odd occurrence #3) For some unknown reason hotel staff allowed 5 or 6 drunken hotel guests the use of the outdoor jacuzzi (surrounded by 3 sides of hotel rooms) at 3:30 AM. Their talking, laughter and splashing echoed along the walls to where it woke me up on the 6th floor. It went on for an hour or so before it stopped...?!

Now with all that said...I would return to this hotel as the room was neat and clean and the hotel is in a good location for downtown...and more importantly, I broke the code of basic hotel safety of maneuvering through the valet parking to the Residence Hotel using the inside passage. :)

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,
I understand how frustrating the valet charges were for you and there is no excuse for the failure of informing you that our hotel connects to the Courtyard. The hotels are now under new management and we will make every effort to train our teams to deliver the service guests expect and should expect from Marriott. I hope you will consider staying with us again in the future and that you experience the best service. Thank you for providing feedback on Tripadvisor so that we may continually improve.
Charlotte Tyer
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 27 March 2013

The hotel is located in the heart of downtown Houson so if you've business in the centre it is an ideal place to stay. The rooms are clean but basic and utilitarian .. typical 1970's Marriott style that is desperately in need of changing in so many of their properties. Breakfast is provided and once an week in the evening they have a 'beer & chilli' night which is well received. The rooms are set up in an extended stay style for cooking etc.. and a simple room service menu is provided. If you want to eat out there is plenty of choice locally but beware it oftens closes early and does not typically open on Sundays. The bar is available in the Marriott Courtyard adjoing the property. It's not upto to J W standards but OK for the price. The staff here really have to be commended for their welcome and the service levels they provide ... great team. If you are a busines traveller or visiting the Rodeo then this is not a bad place to hang your Stetson for a few days.

Room Tip: Grab a high floor away from the street noise below
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
hallsm271, Manager at Residence Inn Houston Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, 26 April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share the kind words about our property. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to exceeding your expectations on your next trip to Houston.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 20 March 2013

The room is big and comfy, nice outdoor pool and jacuzzi on the 3 floor, I got to enjoyed that and watch sunset. The location is sorta bad, but I guess its like that in downtown in any city. Right in the corner there's a bus stop, so you get all kind of people waiting for the bus. I have not been here for 15 years, I think Houston has gone down, the pavillion galleria half was empty, most of the business is gone. You get a lot of liquor stores there and a lot of people hanging around the area where the subway and those stores. So becareful when you walk around at night.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of your time with us. We appreciate your feedback as we continually strive to improve each guest experience. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Houston!
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 31 January 2013

Stayed at the Residence Inn while in downtown Houston for a convention at the convention center. Other, "official" hotels for the convention were much closer to the convention center adn also more expensive. This is a great alternative; lower cost, full (good too!) breakfast, free wifi throughout the hotel, and about a 7block walk to the con vention center. The hotel is nice, rooms are spacious, breakfast is a good selection of hot and cold items, and wifi worked great. Every single staff member I encountered was very friendly, helpful, and just first-rate. If it is your first time to downtown Houston, be aware that it is dead at night! Most restaurants are closed, there are few bars around, and nightlife within walking distance of the hotel is pretty much nonexistent. But, you'll enjoy your room at the Residence Inn. It is a good value, nice place, with great staff.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Nicole S, Sales Specialist at Residence Inn Houston Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, 5 February 2013
Thank you for recognizing the size of our guestrooms, full breakfast, and that the WiFi worked so well! We are so happy you stayed with us and that you found all of the staff you encountered to be "first-rate". We look forward to welcoming you back next time your travels bring you to Houston!