“A Good Value For The Business Traveler” 4 of 5 bubbles

Residence Inn Houston Downtown/Convention Center
Ranked #157 of 497 Hotels in Houston
GreenLeadersGold level
Denver
“A Good Value For The Business Traveler”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

This Residence Inn is located in an historic building and as a result is not the normal RI experience. The rooms have high celings and unique architectural details. The staff is professional and welcoming. I got a very quiet room at the end of the hall - a big plus. The room number ended in 23. If you need a good night's sleep, that's the way to go. The room was very clean and, surprisingly, there were no doors on the closet by design. The breakfast was standard RI fare but I noticed just how impeccably clean the serving area was.This hotel is located next to the Houston Police building and close to the jail. The valet parking is shared by this hotel and the neighboring Courtyard. You can park and walk right into the Courtyard. You must walk around the corner to get to the entrance of the RI. During the day this is OK. For late night arrivals I am not so sure. I would stay here over other hotels I have used in the area.

Room Tip: Rooms with numbers ending in 23 are in very quiet locations - you don't hear a neighbor or a sla...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Ryan F, General Manager at Residence Inn Houston Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, 27 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel!

We are thrilled you chose to stay with us while in town for business!

Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to your next trip!

Ryan Frederick

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
St. Paul, MN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013

I stayed here for a convention a few nights and found it to be much better than described in previous reviews. Clean, spacious rooms. Full kitchen, even though it was never used, it is nice to put water in the refrig or freezer. There's a separate living/sitting room and bedroom separated by a half wall. Also separate bathroom vanity area from toilet shower which is also nice.
I was lucky to be on the top 10th floor, away from the street noise especially in the mornings as there are some buildings around being renovated. There are huge windows and my side was overlooking Houston police dept or some sort of govt office.
The outdoor pool is on 3rd floor, exercise rooms same area. The pool looked very cloudy, but people were swimming. Jacuzzi tub next to pool. Lounge chairs and towels available.
the area is "downtown" so expect downtown activity. Connected to the Marriott Courtyard with a Starbucks in between. Walking distance to all sorts of restaurants. During the day the area is bustling with all sorts of people. At night the area seems to close down. Staff was great, every encounter. Front desk, housekeeping, breakfast .....this means a lot.
I was traveling with colleagues and NO ONE had issues with this hotel.

Room Tip: Higher rooms are quieter helping avoid street and construction noise. Elevators are fast!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank StPaulygal
Thank you so much for taking the time to review out hotel!

WOW! It was great to hear you enjoyed everything about our hotel from the friendly staff to the spacious rooms!

Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to your next visit!

Boerne, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2013 via mobile

My 9 year old daughter and I arrived late on a Friday night... We went to Houston so that we could go to the American Girl store.
I booked this room because we were traveling with our two small dogs and this was one of a few hotels in the area that accepted pets!
The hotel was not easy to recognize as it has no clear signage.
There was NO WHERE to take the dogs out. Just the nasty sidewalk in front. Where I did not feel safe and I especially didn't want my daughter walking! There were very, very seedy people loitering all along the sidewalk.
The pool area was on a rooftop... There were roaches EVERYWHERE and The stones around the pool were wobbly
and dangerous to walk on!
The room itself was ok... And I mean o---k. Tolerable but not good.
We will never go back here! I suppose if you had a business meeting across the street you'd consider it... No, Nevermind. I take that back!!!

• Stayed July 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Keithyncourt
Erie, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2013 via mobile

I stayed for 5 days for the convention downtown. I thought the location was almost perfect. It was a ten minute walk to the convention center, and seemed to always be just a few blocks from whereever we were going. Minute Maid park was 15 minutes, the light rail was 1/2 block, and there were a slew of great restaurants. The House of Blues was a 5 minute walk. The room was bigger than expected and very modern. I was surprised by a well stocked kitchen and full sized fridge. The bed was very comfortable and city noise wasn't too bad. I was really impressed by the staff. The front desk people were great and everyone went out of their way to make sure I was comfortable. The complementary breakfast was fresh and the dining room was very clean and well kept. If all Residence Inns are like this, I'll be staying at more of them.

Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Thank you so much for taking the time review our hotel!

I am the new GM of the hotel and can assure you all issues you encountered have already been addressed. It is our goal to ensure all guests find a friendly, safe and clean hotel.

Thank you for staying with us and I hope you will give us anther chance in the future!

Jackson, Mississippi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2013

Had a fairly nice stay. Hotel decor very modern. Rooms very spacious. Decor in rooms very nice. Bed very comfortable. However, they do not offer king beds. Why not??? Queen bed was comfortable, but not long enough. Bathroom very nice. Was nice to have carpet in the sink area before transitioning to tile in the bathroom. They had popcorn available to microwave in the room, which was a nice snack. Breakfast was wonderful! Freshly, cooked scrambled eggs--the real thing, not powdered. Also had extras like french toast, potatoes, fresh cut fruit, yogurt, waffles, and the rest. Excellent personnel. Fitness room had dumbbells. Pool very shallow at 3 ft, so difficult to swim laps. Major negative: bedroom walls are thin. I could hear my neighbors talking. Also be ready for the waste truck emptying the dumpster early in the morning! I did not get a good night sleep.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
hallsm271, Manager at Residence Inn Houston Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, 3 June 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our property. I am sorry to hear of the disturbances during your stay but am glad to hear of them so that we may better serve you. We are working on bettering each guest experience and look forward to welcoming you back so you too can experience the difference.
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2013

I am from Houston and this was my 2nd stay at this hotel. We had a friend's birthday party (in the Pavilions - about 2-3 blocks away) and wanted a place that was close in walking distance so we would not have to drive across town. We did the valet parking which is shared with Courtyard hotel next door. After parking, you walk past the bus stop area to the front entrance. Just be advised of some of the strange characters near the bus stop, especially if you arrive at night. The light rail line is near that bus stop as well. Also, there is a Starbucks near the parking area prior to the entrance to the hotel. The hotel staff was friendly and check in was very fast.

The room was clean, except for a glass in the bathroom that looked like it has been used by the previous guest but I just hid it under the sink so I wouldn't have to look at it. Otherwise, the room was in good condition. Our view was across from the Police department building. My previous stay was viewing the windows of the connecting Courtyard hotel so I did prefer the street view of the HPD.

Breakfast was good - to me, they have a decent choice of hot and cold foods.

Overall, it enjoyed my stay and probably will continue to stay here for downtown events.

Room Tip: Choose rooms that Travis St (West side) as they as least have a view of the street and not the windo...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
ThankYouForStaying, General Manager at Residence Inn Houston Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, 2 June 2013
Thank you, Traveler, for the great feedback on Tripadvisor! I do apologize for the dirty glass - we'll make sure we don't miss things like that in the future, but I'm thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us overall. We look forward to having you as our guest again soon.
Charlotte Tyer
USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2013

The room was spacious, clean and nice. They have a nice breakfast downstairs and I would have given it higher ratings except for a couple of things:
1) Parking was posted as $20 per night - i hate this - just add it to my room fee and don't remind me every time I have to get the valet (& tip them) to get my car. I'm not cheap but I don't like to always have to have cash out to tip, time to call and get a car out, etc. (also ties into #2)
2) I know this isn't the hotels fault but coming out (even in the morning) there were homeless or 'other wanderers' outside. You had to have your key out to buzz into the lobby. But what WAS the hotel staff's fault was that they didn't tell us that from the INSIDE of the hotel on our floor (6th) and maybe other floors??) we could go from the Marriott Residence into the Marriott regular hotel and pick up our car and use the Marriott's little Bistro. We had to figure this out for ourselves (unfortunately on the LAST night there!). :( Previous nights, we would drop the car and walk about 1/2 a block to be buzzed into the lobby--we could have gone directly into the door by the valet and been 'safely' inside. This is a must know for all guests!
And finally a rather odd occurrence #3) For some unknown reason hotel staff allowed 5 or 6 drunken hotel guests the use of the outdoor jacuzzi (surrounded by 3 sides of hotel rooms) at 3:30 AM. Their talking, laughter and splashing echoed along the walls to where it woke me up on the 6th floor. It went on for an hour or so before it stopped...?!

Now with all that said...I would return to this hotel as the room was neat and clean and the hotel is in a good location for downtown...and more importantly, I broke the code of basic hotel safety of maneuvering through the valet parking to the Residence Hotel using the inside passage. :)

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,
I understand how frustrating the valet charges were for you and there is no excuse for the failure of informing you that our hotel connects to the Courtyard. The hotels are now under new management and we will make every effort to train our teams to deliver the service guests expect and should expect from Marriott. I hope you will consider staying with us again in the future and that you experience the best service. Thank you for providing feedback on Tripadvisor so that we may continually improve.
Charlotte Tyer