“Decent room, but oversold”

Residence Inn Houston Downtown/Convention Center
Ranked #114 of 517 Hotels in Houston
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 16 December 2013

I stayed at this hotel in September while attending a convention in Houston. The room was oversold so I had to stay at a sister property several miles away for the first of 3 nights. While the accommodation and transportation was taken care of, I found it to be a big inconvenience since I was not told of the status of my room until I had already landed in Houston.

The remaining two nights were ok. The rooms are decent and comfortable and the service provided is standard. The hotel is in a great location, in walking distance to the Convention Center. If its too hot to walk, shuttle service is provided. No frills, but definitely a comfortable stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Ryan F, General Manager at Residence Inn Houston Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel!

It was great to hear you enjoyed a comfortable stay at our convenient location. However, I sincerely apologize you didn’t stay all 3 nights with us. During your stay there were unforeseen circumstances that we could not avoid. We appreciate your understanding.

Thank you again for staying with us.

There are newer reviews for Residence Inn Houston Downtown/Convention Center

Reviewed 9 December 2013

I stayed at this hotel for six nights in December 2013 on a business trip. I am a Marriott Gold card holder, and stay at Marriott group hotels out of choice (even though there were other hotels slightly closer to where I was doing business this week).

For my client's location, this Marriott was in a good location, and within easy walking distance to their offices. The hotel is right in the downtown area, and close to the Houston police station. There always seems to be a few homeless men hanging around outside - expect to be asked "for a dollar" or for "food money" as a pedestrian entering and leaving. This may be intimidating at first, but I heard of no actual problems arising. The only hotel parking is valet, and thus quite expensive (if convenient).

Front desk at check-in, and during my stay, was very good. Friendly, helpful people. My room (803) was comfortable, very clean, and self contained (bedroom, lounge area, kitchen with fridge/freezer, microwave and coffee machine). Don't expect a view - there is nothing other than the streets to see. Wireless internet was free / included. Lift service was excellent / prompt.

The hotel is walking distance to Toyota Center (I saw the Rockets beat Orlando Magic 98-88), the Houston tram (for the Texans NFL at Reliant Stadium), and downtown shopping. I would walk too to Minute Maid Park, the soccer stadium, and the Hard Rock Café / Bayou Place / Aquarium complexes - these are a longish walk, but safe, flat and easy.

Breakfast (basic but edible) is included, and on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays a basic evening dinner/snack is also provided free. This even includes house wine and jugs of beer! If you want other food, McDonalds and Starbucks are very nearby. The House of Blues (check who is playing) is just around the corner.

Overall - no problems here - you'll like it. Typical Marriott hospitality and comfort - great location. If my review has informed you, please give me a 'Helpful' vote.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank Stephen A
Ryan F, General Manager at Residence Inn Houston Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel!

WOW! It was great to hear you enjoyed everything about your stay with us, from the friendly service to the convenient location to all that Downtown Houston has to offer!

We truly value your business and look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 5 December 2013

This is a very typical downtown Residence Inn by Marriott. Great location and expensive overnight parking (Valet Only). It's very convenient to get to downtown places of interest such as Toyota Center (walking), Hermann Park (urban tram) and Rice University (urban tram).
My friends and I went to Houston for Black Friday Shopping and had a good stay with spacious rooms, nice hot breakfast buffet, and above-average guest services.

However, the hotel and the Courtyard next door look a little bit old from outside and the valet parking garage is not well maintained (we walked by several times).

Overall, nice hotel in the heart of Houston.

Room Tip: park at public parking lots around to avoid the $28 parking. Take the urban tram to commute.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Ryan F, General Manager at Residence Inn Houston Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel!

I was thrilled to hear you enjoyed our teams service and our location while in town doing some Black Friday Shopping!

We truly value your business and look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 23 November 2013

Stayed for convention in October. All rooms downtown pretty well booked, so got gouged at $379/night for a 2 bedroom suite that was a dump. The reservation said "City View" but when we arrived the only 2 bedroom suite had a view of other rooms with a dirty unused roof below. The carpet was stained and filthy, the décor doesn't look like it's been updated since the 70's. Cheerios on the bathroom floor. Small, scratchy towels and not enough of them. Cheap little shampoo/soaps. YES, $350+/night! Before checking in, I checked out the room and asked for another one, but there were no other rooms to switch to, even though we checked in 1 day before most conference attendees. The hotel clearly knew that with the convention, there were no other rooms available downtown, and the closest available rooms were over 5 miles away - so we stayed. Breakfast was okay, but sausage was nasty tasting. Now, that said, staff did the best they could - clearly, I guess their hands were tied and offered no refunds. And, all the staff were helpful and tried to make the stay a good experience. Marriott never fails to disappoint me, the few occasions I end up at one. If the room would have cost $70/night, I would have given a better review. Shame on Marriott - never again will I stay at one. I've stayed at many $70-110 Hampton Inn rooms and they've all been at least 2-4x nicer than this room that they had the audacity to gouge over $300/night.

Room Tip: Oct 2013 there was construction across the street in front of the hotel - I'm guessing if you wa...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank DineRight4

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel!

It was great to hear you enjoed our teams service! However I sincerley apologize for the other issues you expereinced. I can assure you this is not how we normally operate.

We truly value your business and look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 19 November 2013

Stayed here a few times now. Not coming back. I usually like the bigger Res Inn rooms but here, not very well maintained. And staff is simply indifferent to requests. Probably better off trying Courtyard right next door ( higher rated on this site but I have yet to stay there). Staff at this place displays great indifference to guests, and I usually enter hotels with low expectations. In any event there is a Hilton and embassy suites right down the street that seem much more customer friendly based on my experience.

Stayed: November 2013
Ryan F, General Manager at Residence Inn Houston Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel!

I was surprised to hear you found our team to be indifferent. I can assure you our team takes extreme pride in being the cleanest and freindliest. Nonetheless I will be sharing your comments with the team as an example that we can always improve.

I truly appreciate your feedback.

Thank you again for staying with us and I hope you will give us another chance to showcase our world class service.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

Stayed 4 nights for a convention at George Brown.

Pros:
1. Location is good, as you can walk 10 minutes to the convention center as well as several restaurants. For jogging / walking it is just a few blocks from a park and an urban river trail.
2. My room 723 was above average for a Residence Inn, as the ceilings are high and there is some character to the decor. Bed very comfy.
3. Staff is friendly.
4. There is an outdoor rooftop pool that is long enough for lap swim.
5. Beer for sale in bottles from the fridge.

Cons:
1. Not much lobby ambiance. No bar. A little bit stark.
2. To get a taxi you need to walk next door to the Courtyard Marriott.
3. The rooftop pool is not heated and was unusable in November
4. Exercise room is limited: a few treadmills / ellipticals and a set of dumbbells. No machines.
4. There is a huge construction project going on right next door. As of November 2013 they are clearing away an old building and it's loud from 7am-5pm. I'd assume new construction will be going on for the next year or two. Room 723 faced it directly. It didn't bother me too much because I was at the convention center most days, but if you need to sleep later than 7 or work in the room then you may want to face another direction.

Overall I give it 3.4 stars and would be glad to stay there again, if looking for a hotel in this price range and location. Might be worth investigating the Courtyard Marriott next door if you like a lobby bar.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel!

It was great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! I wanted to let you know that in December we will be doing so updating that I think you are going to love.

Thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 4 November 2013

I have stayed here before several times and everytime had left them with some feedback but of no avail. Recently there was a goof up and since them the GM has been listening and making changes. On top they have started catering to the needs of the vegetarians and yes it is more than salad - thank you! So all vege folks who struggel to find something decent for breakfast and snacks during social hour, this is the place to stay at. Hope they continue to improve the variety here.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Ryan F, General Manager at Residence Inn Houston Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel!

I was thrilled to hear you are noticing the changes we are making! We truly value your business.

Thank you again for staying with us!