Residence Inn Houston Downtown/Convention Center
Ranked #151 of 506 Hotels in Houston
GreenLeadersGold level
“Comfortable”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I enjoyed my stay at this hotel. My room was clean and the air conditioner worked great. My bed was comfortable and had plenty of pillows. The hot water worked pretty good, there was one morning that it didn't get as hot as I prefer, but every other day it was perfect. The staff was very helpful and friendly. I liked that there were restaurants and bars within walking distance along with the rail. At night a lot of homeless people are around outside the hotel, but the staff seemed to do a pretty good job of keeping them away from the hotel entrance. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Ryan F, General Manager at Residence Inn Houston Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Thank you taking the time to review our hotel!

It was fantastic to hear you enjoyed everything about our hotel! We pride ourselves on providing world class service and I will be sharing your comments with the team!

Thank you again for staying with us!

Ryan Frederick

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this property for three weeks. I was in town for work. The staff was very friendly and really did care about trying to make your stay perfect. Overall I did enjoy my stay and would have no problem staying with them in the future. Wish the hotel rooms windows open for fresh air and the windows were more sound proof. Other than that, thanks for making me feel like I mattered.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Ryan F, General Manager at Residence Inn Houston Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel!

It was great to hear you enjoyed our friendly team and will be back to see us!

We truly value your business and look forward to your next visit.

Seattle, WA
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I stayed here recently to attend a convention. True to form, when I checked in as a Gold member (requiring 50+ nights stay in the previous year), I asked if there was anything special for Gold member's. The two people at the front desk had no clue what I was talking about (one perk is that i am supposed to receive an upgraded room on a space-available basis). They eventually offered me a bottle of water, which I declined. Marriott is bar-none the worst frequent-stayer rewards program in the industry!

The hotel was what I expected. The workout room was small but adequate; there was a nice outside pool on the third floor deck and a spa at one end. The breakfast consisted of typical steam table fare: scrambled eggs made from powder; suasages/bacon/some sort of proky meat; cereals; fruit, yogurt; waffles; sweet rolls' toast, etc. It was all pretty tasty actually. The big problem was seating. There is not enough of it, so don't come at a busy time.

My room was better than average, and was on the third floor facing the Houston police station. The room was large with a nice kitchen. I would have liked to have had a real stove with a real oven, but all I had was a microwave and some table-top burners. There was a full-scale refrigerator. It would also have been nice to have had a reasonable food store within walking distance; however, there were two convenience stores about 3-4 blocks away that had adequate basics for making a meal at a slightly higher cost than could have been purchased at a normal supermarket.

There seem to be panhandlers everywhere in dowtown Houston, and each day I was solicited a couple of times walkingto and back from the convention center (about a 25 minute walk in heels). About a block away is the light rail system, which is convenient. What is not conenient is that the light rail system is a magnet for transients and the like after hours, and so walking out from the hotel to go to dinner can sometimes be a little unpleasant or scary. There is a significant police presence, so i felt guardedly safe walking alone, but I was always very wary.

I'd probably stay here again, but wouldn't go out of my way if another hotel had a copmetitive price or location.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel!

I was thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay with us!

We appreciate you choosing to stay with us and look forward to your next visit.

Houston
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Good expirience, Just keep the eye on Cleanliness, take some time to clean the room. Room is perfect, hot water is abailable all time, Forniture are nice, people is nice, very good expirience staying in

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Ryan F, General Manager at Residence Inn Houston Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel!

It was great to hear you enjoyed everything from the clean room to the friendly team!

We look forward to your next visit!

Texas Gulf Coast, Texas
Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed 2 nights while attending a conference at the GRB.
I WANT TO TAKE THIS OPPORTUNITY TO FORMALLY COMMEND GLORIA ON HER GREAT ATTITUDE AND PROFESSIONAL SERVICE.
She went above and beyond to make sure my stay was pleasant.
My room was very spacious and clean with all the amenities you could ever want. However because I was on aloe floor outside noise from the street was a problem so I called down and was quickly moved to a higher floor inside that was exceptionally quiet.
The breakfast buffet was truly that with fresh fruit, yogurt, granola and eggs, sausage, potatoes, and build your own waffles. It was great to have a hot FREE breakfast to start the day.
On Monday-Wed they even have a FREE happy hour and dinner. Since I checked in on a Thursday so didn't get to take advantage of that.
There is a free shuttle to close by attractions on M-F. Alway quick and readily available when I called for it. The only downside to this is the shuttle doesn't operate on the weekends. That would be the only complaint I would have with property.

The location is very convenient to most downtown attractions.

I would highly recommend this property for its economy and amenities. GREAT VALUE.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Ryan F, General Manager at Residence Inn Houston Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel!

I was thrilled to hear you enjoyed our hotel from the friendly service of Gloria to the plentiful complimentary breakfast!

We look forward to your next stay with us!

USA
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I really want to give this hotel a better rating but it's frustrating me. The location is great for my use so I returned - about 11 months from last time. I can't believe it but I ended up in the exact same room almost a year later! I remembered the location at the end of the hallway and then when I went into the room and started to unpack for my 4 night stay - it came back to me...the hotel door to the hallway had issues - it doesn't CLOSE behind you - it sort of sounds like it does but it doesn't (the key works fine)...I found it again unlatched. It will close and latch but it sometimes works very hard. Then the mirror doors to the closet were off their hinges/tracks - just like it was a year ago...I fought it everytime I opened and closed the doors - so again I finally just wedged them in the middle and used the 'ends' of the closet. I don't stay in the room and was picked up and returned to the hotel each day so I just came in at night--these were small things but...the same from a year ago.
I got my final bill under the door and they had charged me 4 nights of vallet parking. I didn't have a car in Houston. So checkout morning I had to go down and get it off my bill while my driver waited to take me to the airport...inconvenient.
Yes, they were nice at checkout - they took the erroneous charges off my bill but again a time-waster in the morning when having to get to the airport.

Yes, I told them again about the hallway door and the mirror closet doors...

(side personal note: I really HATE large hotels glass glasses they have in the room. I've seen the hidden videos of glasses not getting changed out from guest to guest and/or of them being washed with toilet scrubbers. - graphic, yes but ugh - I can't get that out of my head and I travel A LOT! So please give me a cheap plastic wrapped throw-away cup! I AM NOT SAYING this is the case with this hotel - it was VERY CLEAN! I usually have a water bottle but didn't this whole stay!)

GREAT Location but small things are irritating sometimes.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Ryan F, General Manager at Residence Inn Houston Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel!

It was great to hear you came back to see us and found your room very clean! I sincerley apologize for the door, closet doors and valet charges. We have corrected all items to ensure future guests are not affected.

We hope you will come back and see us.

Manvel, Texas, United States
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I didnt sleep here but they were welcoming & hospitable to me when I was lost & scared.
I was Darth Vegeta Voorhees at a convention & parked my car in a random garage streets away & got lost looking for it.
I was thirsty & tired & they had everything I needed to recover until I got help.
They had good water for me, a decent computer for me to research my car's location, the desk guy offered to help me & he even let me have a free snack.

Not sure about the rest of the hotels but whoever was there today was very compassionate.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Evan G
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel!

It is great to hear we were able to help you while looking for your vehicle.