“Beautiful”

Ranked #21 of 504 Hotels in Houston
Houston, Texas
“Beautiful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2007

Stayed at the Icon during a reunion. I had been to the Whiskey Bar several times before, and thought that I'd book a room for the reunion weekend to avoid driving back and forth from the outskirts of town. I reserved a standard room on the 6th floor which was absolutely beautiful. I didn't even want to leave. I'm hooked on the Molton Brown bath products now thanks to my stay. It's close to several restaurants and bars in Downtown Houston, and they offer complimentary transportation to the ballpark and theater - a great convenience. The service here is really incredible all around. My friends at the reunion stayed at another upscale hotel in the area and agreed the Icon was much nicer.

• Liked — Service, Decor, Location, Cost
  • Disliked — Nothing I did not like
  • Stayed December 2005, travelled on business
1 Thank vdeluke

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2007

We were driving around texas and decided to stop in Houston. Basically the Icon Hotel was the first hotel we spotted and we just walked in and asked if they had a room. Although this is a smart hotel and we looked dead scruffy the staff was lovely. There was a baseball game in town that night and they helped us get some tickets, offered us a complimentary ride to the stadium. The bell boy was really helpful and friendly too, we really felt at ease (i personally think that it's not always the case in high end hotels). When it comes to the room it was immense, nicely decorated and clean. I loved the huge bathroom! I would absolutely stay at the Icon hotel again, not only the hotel was great but the staff helped us enjoy the city with their assistance and advice.

Stayed July 2007
1 Thank Lyds76
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2007

I had a business meeting in downtown Houston and chose to stay at the Hotel Icon after reading the great reviews. Needless to say, I was not dissappointed.

The staff was extrememly friendly and helpful. When I arrived, the front desk upgraded me to a room with a bathtub which was greatly appreciated.

The room was very plush and felt like I was staying in someone's home instead of in a hotel. The bed was one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in and I loved the hi-thread count, ultra soft sheets.

As described by other people, the bathroom was huge. Because there were wooden shutters positioned over the tub, I was able to open the shutters and watch the main room tv from the bathtub. How cool is that? Great smelling Moulton Brown bubble bath added to the experience.

My 6:00 am wake up call was made by a human instead of the automatic phone system -- nice touch.

Overall, I was very impressed by the Hotel Icon and wish that more of my business travel were this pleasant and comfortable.

• Liked — great bed
  • Disliked — hotel location was seedy at night.
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank Summitpark
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2007

I stayed at the Icon for a wedding recently, and had a very nice expeirence. I booked through the room block and paid $149, which was a decent price for a hotel this nice. I initially had some trouble making my reservation because the reservation desk hung up on me several times, and I know my friend the bride had issues with them as well. So you might want to confirm your reservation before you arrive.

The rooms are pretty and large and very unique. The bed was incredibly comfortable and had plenty of pillows. Large tv, chair and desk.

For me, the best part of the room was the bathroom- it was enourmous. There was a very large jacuzzi tub and a seperate glass shower. The bathroom was stocked with Molton Brown products, which was a nice touch. I forgot to bring my hairspray, so I sent my husband down to buy some. Someone at the front desk gave him a free bottle of hairspray, saving us some time and money.

After the wedding, we went to the hotel bar, which was also nice. Plenty of seating and good service.

Overall a very pleasant experience. I would definitely stay here again!

Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2007

My husband booked one of the more expensive rooms at the Icon for an overnight stay after a concert. I loved it!! Being a fan of architecture I noticed mostly the old world "bank" details of the building, and the next thing I noticed were the interior design details. It was a little like Alice through the looking glass, very bright and plush fabrics. The look goes over better at night, because during the day it could be a little on the garish side if you didn't like the pinks, yellows, reds, and golds. Eclectic, and somehow had a calming effect, like all the patterns cancelled each other out and worked. Having lived in New York I must say it reminded me a little of some of the buildings there, so maybe I was biased. Loved the "taxi" the hotel keeps, it was very London. Staff was very helpful with directions and getting us where we needed to be, they also brought our car around several times and someone would always run around and open the door for me.

The bathroom was out of this world, but my review might have been colored by the fact I was expecting a roadside motel for a simple overnight, this was something special. For the price it could possibly use a tiny bit of freshening up, and my stay was slightly less than perfect because of the $4.77 a can charge for sodas- each, from the touch sensitive mini bar. But LOVED the bed, slept like a baby on the seventh floor, never felt claustrophobic, and soaked in the huge tub just for fun. Sooo, overall I would love to stay at the Icon again, but it would probably be in one of the deluxe rooms. Oh, one more thing, maybe it was because it was a Friday night, but my goodness the staff was young- like practically out of high school young.

• Liked — Old world classic feeling, the design details and architecture
  • Disliked — The mini bar
Houston
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2007

Had heard a lot, over the years, about the ambience and lush "feel" to the place. But over-taxed service -- in the restaurant and at front desk -- made the place feel like an aging movie star, fallen on hard times.

Room was lovely but no real "give aways." They provided designer water @ $5.00 a bottle, and lots of other temptations in a weight-calibrated cooler. (Whatever you move or take, you get billed for.) Only two pillows per full-size bed; took over 30 minutes (at 10:30pm) to get 2 more.

The cocktails in the bar cost more for bar stock than Sambuca (two blocks away) charged for call brands. Food in the restaurant, for breakfast, arrived cold. (In part because kitchen is one floor below.) Frazzled staff gave the restaurant a less than luxurious feel -- particularly in relation to the meal price. Had to practically tackle someone for coffee refills.

The small single really was -- as a business traveller, I'd be claustrophobic after a day or two. As a couple on a weekend getaway, we were tripping over each other -- in a non-romantic, irksome way.

No luggage rack for our bags -- what's up with that?

Final warning: unless you book one of the specials on the hotel's Web site, they'll try to charge you $25.00 for parking. Even with a special, staff tends to "forget" to comp it -- I overheard two others also having to request bill adjustment. For the price of these rooms, even on the weekend, this is a little offensive.

1 Thank EKrause
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2007

The Icon is located in an old bank building in Downtown Houston and has retained much of it's historical charm.

After reading reviews re the noisy location I requested a quiet room and was situated on the 10th floor. I can honestly say I never heard any noise disturbance during my stay.

The room was compact and quite dark but comfortable for my 4 night stay and the bathroom with it's huge walk in shower was great.

I never ate in the restaurant but did have a sneaky cocktail in the Whiskey Bar which was hotel pricey but enjoyable!

• Liked — Great Shower!
  • Disliked — Dark Room
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled solo