“Highly Recommended”

Hotel ICON, Autograph Collection
Ranked #21 of 518 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed 29 November 2012

Stayed at the Hotel Icon for a sales meeting in November. It’s a great property with very unique rooms and lobby. The staff was very professional and lobby bartender helpful with dinning choices outside the hotel. Highly recommend staying at this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,230)

Reviewed 26 November 2012

Arrival experience: Arrived around 9:00 p.m. Efficient check-in.

Room (general): Spacious room with many architectural details such as excellent crown molding and trim, nice tucked away mini-bar, and more. The quality of materials in the room exceeds your typical Marriott room. Large LG flat screen TV, good carpets, good drapes, fixtures, etc. all of nice quality. Great 4 cup coffee maker.

Bathroom: Good size, nice granite counters, huge Jacuzzi tub, huge shower with the best water pressure I have ever experienced. Tub and shower were clean, but Jacuzzi was very hard to activate; a maintenance man showed us how to turn it on by repeatedly using shallow pushes to the start button. Also, several jets came off while using the tub. It’s a nice feature but was not maintained.

Bed: Very good bed.

Houskeeping: Average. We left a tip requested extra bath towels. Housekeeping took the tip but did not leave towels.

Restaurants: We cannot recommend the hotel restaurant. We had the full breakfast buffet on Thanksgiving morning. Both the food and staff were sub-par. The buffet was not restocked, and we had to scavenge the dregs of what remained. Several core items were out of stock on the buffet including jam and fruit. The bacon was swimming in grease. We finally asked the staff to bring us fruit, and they did. However, the staff’s attitude was lackadaisical at best. We even had to get up to get our own water after waiting an extended period of time. This was probably our worst dining experience at any Marriott owned hotel.

Bar: The bar in the lobby looked very nice, but we did not patronize it.

Grounds: This is a downtown hotel. So there are no real “grounds.” Great gym in the basement.

Pool: we didn’t see one

Staff attitude/service: The front desk was good, but the restaurant staff was bad.

Perks for status: Platinum gift/points offered at check-in. Upgraded room also provided.

Parking: Valet only. The valets were very efficient and helpful.

Misc: This is a quaint, historic hotel. We loved the lobby. And the valets were very knowledgeable about downtown and restaurants. Use caution at night downtown. There are many bums in this part of downtown. I worked nearby at Pennzoil Place (about 5 blocks away) in the late 90s, and never noticed bums during the day. But they are everywhere at night, even urinating in public. Although the Houston Police Department is also downtown, we saw no police patrolling this part of downtown at night.

Photos are of room 1108.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a tub. The tubs are deep and jacuzzi style. If you plan on using the jacuzzi tub...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 November 2012

Poor handling at reception and valet/car service staff a bit brusque. (Left at Wortham and had to make three calls, not apologetic, no sense of urgency...). Awesome bath/room layout with clear attention to design detail. Restaurant was good but staff is a little undertrained and rote.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed 24 November 2012

Hotel Icon is a very nice boutique hotel in downtown Houston. The building is beautiful, I believe it was a bank at one time, and you can still see the old vault behind the reception area. There are various room configurations, so make sure you know what you are getting when you book. They have accessible rooms, which is great if you require this access, but not so great if you don’t need it. There is no pool at this hotel, and they have no agreements with any local hotels for access to their pool. It would have been nice for a cool down after a hot day, but not a deal breaker, if you're there on business.

I found my room to be clean and the furnishings in excellent condition. I had a corner room, so I had lots of windows and light. The ceilings are nice and high, which adds to the feeling of space. There is a large desk, and Wi-Fi is free, so it’s great for business travelers. I had a very comfortable King bed in my room and the pillows were OK, but they did get a bit flat after a few hours, so I had to use two.

The TV reception was sketchy – most of the lower channels were all snow, and there were not too many to choose from.

The bathroom was huge! My bathroom had a large walk-in shower, but no tub. The water pressure was good, and I never ran out of hot water. There was a standard shower head and a rain shower fixture. A colleague was also staying at this hotel, and she had a tub in her bathroom, so it sounds like there are multiple bathroom configurations, too. Shampoo, conditioner and body wash are in a dispenser, and a bar of soap is included for the sink area. Good sized vanity, with lots of space for toiletries, and a lighted makeup mirror. You can get a hair dryer on request.

I was here for a conference, and I found the hotel staff friendly and helpful, the room clean and well suited for my needs, and the location convenient for everything I needed to do.

There is a restaurant at the hotel - The Line & Lariat. It is a really nice restaurant, and the food is very good. Breakfast is great and the service at breakfast was exemplary. Lunch service is at the bar, and was also excellent. I had the crab cakes for lunch and they were really good.

Diner service, however, leaves a lot to be desired. I was seated promptly by the hostess, who had a bright, beautiful smile, and served me my water right away. 15 minutes later, I had lots of time to peruse the small menu, but I still hadn’t seen a server. While the menu is not large, it does have good variety, with some unusual dishes tossed in. The supervisor finally came over and took my order, apologizing for the waitress who was quite busy. I found this rather strange, as there was a large conference in town, and there were lots of attendees staying at the hotel. You would think they would have made sure their staffing levels were sufficient to properly serve guests. Anyway, I ordered the Bryan Farms chicken, which was delicious. About 15 minutes after my order was taken, my server walked by an introduced herself on the way by. No apology for the slow service, just her name (which I promptly forgot) and that she would take care of me for the rest of the evening. That was the last time I saw her. It took about 20 minutes for my food to arrive, not completely unreasonable, but I was never offered any bread, even though I saw bread baskets on most of the other tables. I was only drinking water, and I had to flag down a bus person and ask before I got my water refreshed.

After dinner, I sat with an empty plate for about 10 minutes before my empty dishes were cleared, again by the supervisor. The supervisor left my table with my dishes, then remembered to return and ask me if I wanted to order desert – which I did. Serving tables was obviously not this guy’s job, but I have to give him an A for effort – he really did try. I had some chocolate concoction which was really sweet and very yummy! I never did get a refill of my coffee, even though I sat with an empty cup for about 15 minutes. I finally gave up and got up to leave. I had to ask the hostess to get my bill so I could pay it as I never did see anyone at my table again so I could to ask for it.

All in all, food was great, service appears to be somewhat inconsistent.

Room Tip: Corner rooms have more windows, so more light. There are multiple room configurations, with accessib...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 November 2012

Lovely hotel in an old building which has been nicely converted from being a bank - they even have the original vault door still in place in reception. About a half hour or so cab ride from either of the Houston airports. Reception staff very helpful and welcoming. Room was clean, spacious and nicely decorated and furnished, free wifi, with a huge bathroom, separate bath and shower. Enjoyed the food - breakfast and dinner - and the bar service was good too. There are some restaurants within walking distance and the hotel is right by the metro tram station which is hamdy to get to the museum district. Overall I found this to be a really nice place with excellent staff. The only puzzle - and maybe I am missing something here (in which case please excuse me!) - had I not been on a business trip, I would've been at a loss for something to do in Houston as a tourist because the place seemed really quiet over the weekend - but that's not the hotel's fault of course!

Reviewed 21 November 2012

I had a standard room and it was a little small by US stadards but fine for one person. The bed and linens were very comfortable. No bathtub but a nice big shower with 2 showerheads. The room had nice furniture and decor and lots of character. Front desk staff was nice but service at the restaurant was lacking. There were not that many people and they ran out of croissants at 7:30 AM and I was never offered a refill on my coffee. Overall pleasant amd would stay there again for the right price.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 November 2012

I found this hotel on Travelocity. It had good ratings and looked like a boutique hotel with personality. While the hotel interior was beautiful and the rooms unique, there were a few quirks. For example you had to Valet park your car and couldn't get anything out of the vehicle without calling for valet service. You couldn't get ice from a machine, but had to call for room service. You couldn't borrow a cart to load or unload, you had to have someone load/unload for you. I paid extra to get a room with a jacuzzi tub. Took forever to fill, only to find out the tube jets were broken. The clock couldn't be re-set and was flashing four hours behind the time. When I called the desk, they couldn't tell me how to fix it, you got it, they'd send a maid up to check it out. All that, for a price that was above average. I have to say though, that the staff was this surreal type of friendly. Like they were programmed with the same friendly responses. Better than being yelled and smirked at I guess? To their defense, the woman who booked the room for me was very accommodating. She got permission for my 60 lb. dog to stay when they usually only accept dogs under 35lbs. Of course there was an additional charge, and restrictions, but was pleased she went the extra step to allow my dog. Nice property all-in-all if you are wanting something with more personality. Absolutely loved that they had a Texas rubber duck waiting for you in the bathroom with some great soaps. The rooms was very cozy and relaxing. The city view was beautiful. The location was great for downtown nightlife and there was a nice park/walking area two blocks away, which my dog loved. I'd stay there again. Travel on...

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a city view on one of the higher floors (10 or 11th). Book online and save subs...
1  Thank TallyHoHoHo