“Nice hotel with character”

Hotel ICON, Autograph Collection
Ranked #23 of 506 Hotels in Houston
New York, NY
“Nice hotel with character”
Reviewed 17 November 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Icon with my husband for a weekend when we were in town for a wedding recently. The building used to be a bank, which you can see in the architectural details--it's a very cool space. The staff were friendly and helpful, and the room was nice. Good size (especially the bathroom!), clean, and quiet. We were on the 10th floor--nice view of downtown Houston. Breakfast was nothing super fancy, but very good for a hotel buffet-style breakfast. The gym was really nice, too. Only cons to report: elevators were slow and we sometimes waited a long time for one to come, valet parking was expensive ($28/night). Overall, a nice experience.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
sharon f, Manager at Hotel ICON, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Thank you for your comments. I have shared these comments with the team and we hope you will have the opportunity to visit again soon.

Reminder: Please check our website for upcoming specials.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 2 nights.
Pros: Front desk was wonderful! Room 1014 is a good size. Very comfy bed, Nice high ceiling, big bathroom. Beautiful! Very cool hotel! Nice bar area.

Cons: Few outlets in room (probably because it's an old building), shower water temp never really got hot even though I turned to all the way hot, $28/day parking.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Hotel_ICON_GM, General Manager at Hotel ICON, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at our Hotel ICON.
It was great to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I have informed the engineering staff about your issue and am sorry that the water temperature was not satisfactory.
Again, thank you for your feedback!
Perth
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I recently stayed at Hotel Icon for a weekend. It was truly a lovely hotel with fantastic service. The hotel itself is really beautiful, the lobby is gorgeous. The rooms are very clean and well appointed. It includes free wifi which was very fast. The check in service was excellent. My suitcase broke on the way to Houston and the front desk (Sharon) was very kind to tell me where to go shopping and organise a car service there.

The hotel itself is located in the downtown region and has easy access to the light rail to get to the museum district (worth checking out). There are quite a few nice restaurants around. I would definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Thank you for your kind words concerning your stay at Hotel ICON. I have shared your comments regarding Sharon to the entire hotel team. I am glad that she was able to assist in making your trip to Houston enjoyable.
I hope you will consider staying at Hotel ICON again on your next visit to Houston.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 5 November 2013

The hotel was a unique experience, although we spent little time in it! Could get a good sleep at less cost in central downtown location if that is what you are looking for. Easy to get to city centre, by rail or walking; if walking there are lots of great food stops along they way. Caution if wandering off main streets, be prepared to see street folks.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Freedom56Canada

The Woodlands, Texas
Reviewed 27 October 2013

My wife and I had to cancel plans for out of town weekend to celebrate 22 yr anniversary so we escaped for 24 hr to downtown Houston. Stayed at Icon. I wish there was a 3.5 rating. What was very good: Mario, the reservation manager gave over the top service. I used points for the room and paid for the kiss and tell package. Mario coordinated everything the week before our arrival. He called again on friday to ensure everything was set. there was a mix up with my reservation. Mario called marriott, had everything corrected, called me back and confirmed - expectations were met. We arrived and room was set up perfect - red roses, strawberries & cream, champagne. Perfect. Wife loved it all. Here is where it goes to 3-3.5: The hotel was really understaffed. we went to the bar to kill time before dinner. 2 people working the bar with a crowd of guest arriving for a wedding and a wedding after party. Lines of people. I felt sorry for the bartenders. I even walked over to the front desk and told them that the bartenders needed help. We had dinner in Montrose area and decided to grab dessert at the hotel. Selections were very limited. Pecan tart, cheese cake or ice cream. Umm, my wife wants chocolate. My feedback is that a hotel at this level should have more high end desserts IMHO. Breakfast the next morning was good and covered as part of kiss and tell package. Kind of a limited menu - lots of eggs, one choice for pancakes... wife was thinking more like chocolate chip waffles... again, limited menu. The hotel is beautiful. Rooms are well done and roomy. Bathroom is great with a totally cool shower. Products in the bathroom are very nice in fact i am ordering some today. Valet parking was great, you text them on your phone and they text you when your car is ready. Very quiet hotel, slept like a rock and i am a light sleeper. I may be too picky, but i travel for work a LOT and i expect certain things to just be done right... it is the little things that matter to me - like seeing food trays in the hallway .. that is nasty. Overall, great property. Nice staff, reservation and planning staff get things right (thanks again Mario) but they could kick things up a bit on the staffing support, the food choices and keeping things cleaned up. Oh... I drink expresso - no expresso at this hotel... really? Would I stay again - yes but i would know going into it what to expect.

Room Tip: rooms on the south side of hotel face main street and you hear the trolly horn and engine. rooms 50...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Luanda, Angola
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Of all the hotels downtown Houston I've stayed at whilst on business here (and that's most of them), the Hotel ICON is by far the best.

With a 8am arrival at IAH, the hotel were more happy to accommodate an early check-in as well as breakfast for me. The front desk staff were very efficient and even went to check my room to ensure it was ready to move into before I went up.

The rooms are spacious, comfortable and always spotlessly clean. Even though my room was on the third floor and facing the street, I didn't hear any street noise throughout my stay, or even noise from the rooms either side or above me (despite the hotel being full). The wi-fi is great and available throughout the hotel. The bathrooms are larger than in most hotels and the walk-in showers are great.

The restaurant is really nice and the food is great, but I tended to eat out as there plenty of good restaurants and bars in the neighbourhood (which means the hotel restaurant is normally quite quiet with very quick service). For breakfast, the 6.30am start is later than most other hotels downtown (6am would be better), and whilst the self-serve selection may appear small, the food is always fresh and of high quality. My only bugbear about breakfast is that even as a Marriott Platinum Elite member receiving complimentary breakfast, you still have to fill out the check, no doubt to ensure the server receives their gratuity. As the food is self-serve and the server only pours drinks, this seems too excessive, but being in the US is expected.

Whilst at the opposite end of downtown from most of the larger corporate offices, it is an easy walk to most or alternatively the hotel offers a free shuttle drop-off and pick-up (handy during the Houston summer!). I'll continue to let my colleagues stay as close to the office as possible, whilst I enjoy what the ICON has to offer and at a lower rate (amazingly, my employer's corporate rate at the ICON is less than the rates at the Residence Inn, Courtyard, Embassy Suites!).

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 16 October 2013

This hotel is older and was redone in the early 2000s I believe.
Very bouti-quish hotel. Medium size hotel room, has a vintage look to it.
Small lobby, but very clean and nice.
Elevators are small.
Rooms were clean and classic decor.
I booked the Kiss & Tell package for an anniversary stay-cation, found on there website.
It included 12 dozen rose, champs & strawberries and breakfast in bed.
Front desk was great and easy to check in.
Near walking distance to lots of up and new coming bars in the Houston downtown area.
A 2 minute walk to Hearsay, La Carafe, across from a Tapas place Batanga and you can catch the shuttle to The Bayou center if you are catching a show.
Great place to pick if you are going to be on the go.

The vent to the room was a bit noisey & the pillows werent the best, but other than that I would come back in heartbeat.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Hotel_ICON_GM, General Manager at Hotel ICON, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Thank you for choosing Hotel ICON for your special occasion! I am happy to hear about your wonderful experience and I want to thank you for sharing your thoughts. I hope that you will consider Hotel ICON for your future stays in Houston.