“Retained its quaint decor”

Hotel ICON, Autograph Collection
Ranked #24 of 518 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Big fan of contemporary and not of old decor, especially hotels as I have always associated old with worn, maybe broken but definitely that musky smell that I resented. But I was pleasantly surprised that the "old" was maintained but the "worn" was restored, and NO MUSKY SMELL! Really made me change my mind about old hotels. The room I had was big, able to accommodate 2 queen beds, my dog pen, 4 persons and still room to move around.

The hotel is in Houston downtown, so Saturday mornings were pretty much a dead place and the 2 nearest starbucks were closed. :(

Overall, impressed and will definitely return.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Hotel_ICON_GM, General Manager at Hotel ICON, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Gotta Have Starbucks!!!! I am glad that you had plenty of room for your dog and crew. We are a nice property in a great town and our goal is to have everyone happy that they stayed with us. Thank you for your comments and I hope that you get a chance to stay again in the future.

GM

Write a ReviewReviews (1,200)

Reviewed 3 August 2014

I stayed at the Hotel Icon in April 2014 for 4 nights on business.

After a delayed flight, I had a wonderful welcome into the hotel, the lady who greeted me was both helpful & professional and answered any questions I had.

My room was on the 7th floor (I think) and was at the front of the hotel, which gave me a nice view of Houston, especially in the evening. The room itself was extremely spacious with lots of storage space. The room had a coffee machine, fridge, safe deposit box, iron & ironing board. There was also a big TV and desk area with an Ethernet cable. There was free wifi connection, however the signal wasn't very strong, best used in the lobby area. For a hotel in the city centre there was hardly any noise and had a great nights sleep every night.

The food was absolutely delicious. I ate both breakfast & dinner here and did not have a bad meal. I ordered room service every morning which was always delivered on time. There was a big variety and was never stuck for choices and all very reasonably priced.

The staff were all so friendly, professional & approachable. I needed a hand on my first & last day going into the office as I had lots to carry & I was driven (free of charge) in a shuttle bus which was so helpful

I would thoroughly recommend the Hotel Icon and have booked to stay here again in October when I return to Houston.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

We look forward to your return trip in October!!! Thank you for your comments about Hotel ICON. I am happy you enjoyed your stay. If you think of it, send me a note when you make your next reservation and I will try and get you in the same room.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Downtown Houston has come a long way over the years. The Hotel Icon is a huge piece of this changing environment. Having been completely remodeled from being an old bank building, the hotel has an amazing set of unique touches. From the moment that you walk in, you see the uniqueness of the hotel. While the hotel is beautiful, the staff here goes above and beyond to make you feel at home and they do an excellent job of anticipating your needs. The hotel is quiet and surrounded by some of the hot new restaurants in Houston. I cannot say enough about how well run the hotel is. The staff genuinely cares. When in Houston, this is the place to stay downtown!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Hotel_ICON_GM, General Manager at Hotel ICON, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Thank you so much for staying with us at Hotel ICON. Your comments are very much appreciated. We love the Hotel ICON and it makes us happyt o hear that you enjoyed your time at this Historic hotel.

Thank you and we hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

My fiancee and I stayed at the Hotel Icon on Saturday night for an overnight "getaway" and I can't say enough about the wonderful experience. The check in experience was amazingly courteous and professional and our corner room was spectacular and comfortable. The service from everyone we were in contact with (reception, bar tender, valet) was excellent adding to our great experience. The hotel is beautiful, being in the old Union Bank building dating back to 1911, and the remodeling job to bring it new is exceptional. We will definitely stay here again many times going forward and will recommend it to all we know coming into Houston looking for a truly first class hotel experience!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Texan1959
Hotel_ICON_GM, General Manager at Hotel ICON, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Thank you for telling us about your stay. I am very happy to hear about your Saturday Night Getaway. We are very proud of our rooms and bathrooms! Houston is a beautiful city and it continues to improve with more dining and night spots opening all the time.

Thank you again and I hope that we can see you here again soon.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Was able to book one of the last rooms available at the hotel on an extremely busy night in downtown (due to the Beyoncé concert). It was a Queen room, would have preferred a King but was pleasantly surprised.

As other reviewers mentioned, the front desk staff was extremely friendly and professional. They offered complimentary drink tickets for the bar and I was given complimentary breakfast for the following morning, as a Marriott Gold member. This hotel does not have a concierge lounge.

My room (900) was right next to the elevator and I was worried about noise but was amazed that we heard very little noise/elevator traffic. The room was small but was very clean and well appointed. The bathroom was definitely a highlight of the room.

The hotel offers a complimentary shuttle (ends at 11 PM) that will take you within three miles of downtown....nice for getting to restaurants and bars.

While downtown Houston is not a hub of activity like most urban cities, I would highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Hotel_ICON_GM, General Manager at Hotel ICON, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Thank you staying with us on a busy Concert Weekend! It was fun to see all the music fans at the Hotel ICON. More and more restaurants and bars are opening near us all the time. There are new buildings and buildings being renovated in Downtown. We are excited about Houstons future!

Thank you for your review and we hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 21 July 2014

We stayed here recently for one night. It was great! The front desk staff set the tone for the stay for sure. They were friendly, helpful, nice, energetic, personable and engaging. The rooms were amazing! They are just gorgeous, the bathrooms are huge, plenty of room for myself and the 3 other ladies that were with me. I want to bring my husband back for a visit sometime soon! Everything was very clean and well maintained. We visited the hotel bar and the staff was nice and attentive. I really have no negatives at all about this place. I will be back.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Hotel_ICON_GM, General Manager at Hotel ICON, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Thank you for the fantastic review. We look forward to you bringing your husband back to enjoy Hotel ICON. The large bathrooms and the spacious rooms are what we are all about.

Thank you for letting others know about your time with us and I hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 19 July 2014

The Icon is my new favorite hotel in Houston. While the room rates may not be cheap, they are on par with the top hotels in the area. The staff was so friendly at check in, that it set the tone for our stay: as Marriott Gold members we got a free drink coupon and free breakfast in the restaurant. That's actually better than you get in the concierge lounge of other typical Marriott hotels as they rarely offer you a free drink. The front desk staff even offered to walk us to the elevator to make sure we could find it -- a small touch but typical of the type of engaging service we experienced throughout. The rooms themselves were fantastic. The bed was confortable, the closet roomy, and the bathroom was almost double the size of a typical hotel bathroom. The had a rainfall style shower head and very nice soaps and shampoo. Overall my business associates and I were so impressed with Icon that we are considering it for future stays even when we need to travel to other parts of Houston for buisness. It's worth the drive.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Hotel_ICON_GM, General Manager at Hotel ICON, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

We are excited to be your new home in Houston! Please contact our sales department directly to see if we can set up a special rate for your company to make sure you keep coming back! Thank you for your kind words about the hotel and out team of guest service professionals. We are very proud of Hotel ICON and very happy to hear about your stay.