“Loved Houston Westin”

The Westin Houston Downtown
Ranked #40 of 517 Hotels in Houston
“Loved Houston Westin”
Reviewed 10 February 2014

As a frequent travelers, we appreciate the customer service we found at the Houston Westin. From William Paul at the front desk to the shuttle drivers, we were treated like royalty. They genuinely loved their jobs and were proud of the new very attractive renovations. Our room on the 2nd floor was spacious, squeaky clean with 4 star appointments. Unlike other reviewers, I actually liked laminate wood flooring in the foyer and bathroom. I was so high end that I thought it was real wood. Our room had a spa rain shower. Everything smelled wonderful. The beds were extremely comfortable and a good night's sleep makes a huge difference. The Westin marketed towards the business traveler with expense accounts so this may not bother everyone. But as a frugal traveler, the only thing keeping me from 5 stars are all the add-on expenses. i.e. $29 daily Valet Parking (the only way to park), $18 in room movies, room service adds 20% plus $3.50 delivery charge on top of the high price of the food and daily wifi charges. I can't figure out why 4 star hotels charge for wifi when 2 star hotels, it's free.

Room Tip: If you want real sunlight, ask for an exterior room. Some rooms windows open up to the interior atri...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Hotel G, General Manager at The Westin Houston Downtown, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear FederalExpress:

I want to thank you for your review of The Westin Houston Downtown! Also, I would like to thank you for your comments regarding William-Paul. He is a great employee for The Westin Houston Downtown and the Landry's Hotel Division. Should you need any further assistance, please feel free to reach out to me personally.

Chris Ziadie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Potomac, Maryland
Reviewed 9 February 2014

I am a frequent business traveler, with travel to Houston monthly. I was very pleased with this hotel - good edge of downtown spot, friendly, attentive service, clean room, attractive facility, good location - perfect during baseball season since the hotel is across the street from Minute Maid Park. No downside to the Westin. I like to have more than one hotel in a frequent destination I can depend on. Westin is one in Houston. I will definitely return.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

Hotel was clean, convenient to MM Park, nice lobby and staff was always friendly. Only negatives were the bathroom and parking price. The bathroom had a pedestal sink which, of course, is quite off for a hotel. No where for everyone to place their bathroom items except a corner shelf. Which was filled partially with towels, shampoo, etc. The valet was always fast and friendly. The only drawback was the $26 a day. I know this is common in downtown hotels in larger cities, but it still needs to be figured into your total cost per day.

Stayed February 2014
Hotel G, General Manager at The Westin Houston Downtown, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear Midsouthrent:

Thank you very much for your review of The Westin Houston Downtown! We truly appreciate you as our guest! The good news regarding our parking price is it is one of the lowest in Downtown Houston. We hope that your next travels to Houston bring you back to The Westin Houston Downtown! Should you need any further assistance, please feel free to reach out to me!

New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 7 February 2014

I stayed here for the first time for two nights in February 2014. I was assigned to a room on the third floor. The hotel has an open atrium where the lobby, the bar, etc. are located. The room I had opened onto the open atrium space. There was a balcony with railing around most of the interior of the hotel.
The lobby area was attractive. The room was very spacious; the mattress comfortable. Bathroom had both a tub with shower as well as a glassed in shower stall. Part of the flooring in the room was "wood laminate" which to me is tacky and cheap looking. When I took a shower in the shower stall, the drain was very sluggish and the water gathered on the floor pretty quickly.
When I returned to the hotel after a business dinner away from the hotel, the bar area was very lively. I returned to my room and watched TV a while. But I was tired and decided to retire early. When the TV was off, the noise and din from the lobby was heard even with my door closed. It was very annoying and the noise continued till 11:00 PM or so.
The second night, the bar area was not as crowded but again the noise seeped in through the closed door and went on again till around 10:45 PM. Very annoying.
When I checked out, I was asked by the clerk how was my stay. I explained that it had been difficult to get to sleep both nights because of all the noise in the bar and lobby. Her reply was very off-putting. She said, "Oh if you are on the 7th floor, you can't hear it much. You should have been on the 7th floor." I felt I was being told I had made some error by staying on the 3rd floor, the room assigned to me. I told her that the hotel has a poor design and that an assumption that most travelers would have is that you would have a quiet room to sleep anywhere in a hotel. She replied again that the noise is not that bad on the 7th floor.
I ended the conversation by saying I will never plan to stay at this hotel again and would discourage any business associates, family and friends from ever staying there.

Room Tip: Don't stay here, period.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear Traveler2121:

Thank you for your review of The Westin Houston Downtown. We deeply apologize for the experience you received while staying in the hotel and with your interaction with our Front Desk. Our core value is "Genuine care and comfort of our guests is our highest mission" and on this occasion we did not fulfill this obligation. Please feel free to reach out to me personally should you have any other concerns.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 6 February 2014 via mobile

The rooms are updated and clean, especially when compared to the very old rooms at the Westins by the galleria. They have very convenient power outlets which is always a plus. The bathrooms are probably not up to westin standards but they aren't bad at all since they seem pretty new. Just a little odd to have plastic wood floors in the bathroom and the shower head is not the normal westin shower head.

This hotel is your only SPG option downtown and they know it. The staff tries hard and means well but there just isn't the crispness that you would expect, especially as a platinum member. This hotel is more geared toward one time convention people and not weekly SPG guests. They don't seem to notice that people are staying there multiple times a month and when any issue comes up it is ignored. The service express number is sometimes never answered and if it is there is a 30 percent chance that your request will be denied or forgotten about. I have never stayed in a hotel where it is so difficult to get a taxi even if I call down ahead if time. When I arrive at the valet and ask for a taxi they always look confused by the request and let me know it will be at least twenty minutes. All other downtown hotels even in Houston have taxis waiting. I think it is because this hotel is just unaware of the needs of a frequent traveler since it is geared more towards conventions. Overall the facilities are acceptable for a Westin but they lack the polish I have come to expect from SPG and show no concern for frequent SPG guests. This seems odd because they are frequently asking close to 400 a night for a room when the other hotels are asking much less.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 1 February 2014

Gorgeous hotel.Beautiful room. Generally attentive staff. Wonderful buffet. But beware of rooms on side of hotel facing Annunciation Church. Be ready for 6:00 am, pre-dawn, wake-ups with LOUD bell-ringing. 63 peals (bongs) yesterday morning. Then again, yesterday morning, at 6:30 am - about 45 peals. Then again today, at 6:00 am, pre-dawn, another 50 loud bell bongs. You can see the bell tower in the picture above. It is about 50 feet across a narrow street from the hotel. Unless you rise before 6 am, even on Saturdays and Sundays, be very, very careful with room selection. When I voiced my concern to the front desk, they told me that, yes, this has been a problem for some guests and that the only thing they could do would be to give me a room with windows facing in towards the lobby atrium (so, sacrificing light but, they said, exposed to bar sounds at night).

Why this Church would need to be pealing bells before dawn at 6:00 am in Downtown Houston, when they likely don't offer masses that early in the morning and this is not a residential area, is beyond me. It is a horrible nuisance and, really, torturous. I underscore that this is not necessarily the hotel's fault, but I do think that it should be up to Westin management to find some sort of solution. Perhaps persuade the Church only to peal the bells after 8:00 am? Or in the afternoons and evenings? Or provide better sound insulation on that side of the hotel?

It pains me to write a negative review of this hotel, especially since otherwise my stay has been a good one. The only other problem was that the hotel Wi-Fi was out on my floor for several hours. The hotel sent two staffers to my room immediately and couldn't find anything wrong with my laptop (after about half an hour of trying and three visits). My laptop was having no problem connecting to other routers. Apparently the hotel's own Wi-Fi router was defective and the staff could not do anything about it.

Again, I so wish I could write a positive review for this hotel. I really do. Westin management: PLEASE address the 6:00 am bell-ringing problem. For families traveling with young children, for guests for whom sleep-deprivation is a health hazard, and simply for guests who want to sleep until 7:30 am or 8:00 am or later, on a Saturday and Sunday no less, the loud, extended clanging of bells before dawn is not hospitable. It's torture.

Room Tip: Avoid facing Annunciation Church! At all costs!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
San Antonio, TX
Reviewed 24 January 2014

We were only here for one night for a wedding.. We've traveled a lot in recent weeks, and I wasn't looking forward to another hotel.. Check in was fast and easy, which meant a lot since the Houston Marathon was being run the next morning and they were fully booked by marathoners. Walking into our room felt like a cleansing deep breath of relief!. Large spacious room in relaxing colors and perfectly decorated room.. The bathroom was spacious and felt like one you would want in your home in it's layout and counter space, while using very nice but not over the top materials. Valet was very efficient with our car, café lunch was delicious as was room service breakfast. The only non rave was the view of a parking lot, but who cared! Outstanding hotel!

Room Tip: Didn't use the spa or pool.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends