“Excellent stay in Houston”

The Westin Houston Downtown
Ranked #38 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed 9 April 2014

My experience at the Westin Houston Downtown is one of the best overall I have had. The location of this hotel is good, right across the street from Minute Maid Park and a 5 minute walk to the convention center. Vic & Anthony's Steakhouse is 5 steps away and is great. The lobby is super comfortable, large and modern with great decor and a bar and restaurant that are open late and moderately priced.

The rooms are fantastic! They are huge - with very tall ceilings with crown molding, floor to ceiling windows. The bathroom is also large with double vanities and a makeup station, large tub with rain shower and separate toilet room. The beds and sheets are very comfy and soft; the decor was modern and simple but very tasteful.

The staff was superb here, best I have every experienced. I was greeted with a "good morning", "good afternoon" or "good evening" every time I walked through the lobby. The doorman opened the door every time I entered. This how a 4+ star property should be and it is great to see it being done here. This is well be my go-to hotel on my returns to Houston.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Greg D
Hotel G, General Manager at The Westin Houston Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Dear Greg D:

I would like to personally thank you for your review regarding The Westin Houston Downtown! We truly appreciate your comments and will be sure to share them with the staff! Please feel free to reach out to me personally if I may be of assistance!

There are newer reviews for The Westin Houston Downtown

Reviewed 22 March 2014

Stayed here for an overnight trip. Didn't see much of the surrendering area other than from taxi - it looks a bit shady (many bail bond shops around). The hotel itself looks just like most of the Westin - clean, modern. The staff are all very friendly, checking in/out were not a problem. I was told that I have free wi-fi in room (SPG) but the next morning wi-fi charge were on my bill, had to call to have it removed. The room itself was nice but the bathroom door won't close and one of the handle bar was broken.

I would stay here again for a quick trip, but for longer term trip, I would probably find a hotel with better location.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank TcyW

Dear TcyW:

I want to thank you for your review of The Westin Houston Downtown. I have addressed your concerns with the staff and have spoken to our Engineering Department regarding the handle bar in your guestroom. Please feel free to reach out to me personally if I may be of assistance!

Reviewed 20 March 2014

Stayed for four days in connection with business. Good location downtown Houston. Used to be the Inn at Ballard Park hotel. It is now owned and managed by Westin. Friendly staff, cleanliness is ok, free WIFI in the lobby, but not free in your room. To bad. Rooms are ok with all facilities. Nice bed, but carpets should be changed. They are old. Valet parking is very efficient. Check in and check out without any fuzz. A big plus is that Westin is door to door with Vic and Anthony's steakhouse. Be sure to visit this restaurant. I guess it is the best steakhouse in Houston. Amazing steaks!!!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Runar P

Dear Runar P:

I would personally like to thank you for your review of The Westin Houston Downtown. We are still owned and managed by Landry's, Inc., but are a franchise property for Starwood Hotels & resorts. I will be sure to pass your comments on to our staff!

Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

Hotel is small, comfortable, but probably not the best value. The hotel is predominantly frequented by business people and has a nice bar and lounge area. The restaurant is decent but limited in its menu choices. There is an expensive steakhouse across the street but no other good food joint nearby. Located in a shabby part of town with crumbling streets. So unless you dont have transportation and want to be close to the convention center, your money will be well spent elsewhere

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank apexbeat

Dear apexbeat:

Thank you for your review of The Westin Houston Downtown. I will be sure to pass your review along to the staff. The east-side of Downtown Houston is actually in the process of a major revitalization which will include new retail and dining options, so when you return to Houston, please look for some new additions to our area!

Reviewed 15 March 2014

I traveled to the HOU area for work and stayed at the Westin Houston Downtown. The hotel food was great as well as the restaurant across the street (Vic's and Anthony's Steak House). The rooms were comfortable and well decorated. My only complaint is that the free wifi only covered the lobby area (and for WIFI in the rooms you had to pay). The service was great and everyone was friendly.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank arguelcld

Dear Arguelcld:

Thank you very much for your review of The Westin Houston Downtown! I will be sure to pass your comments on to our staff! We hope your next travels to Houston bring you back to The Westin Houston Downtown!

Reviewed 12 March 2014

First I should say we LOVE every Westin Hotel we have ever stayed at...this one is no exception! We sailed on a cruise from Galveston & upon our return, the port was closed due to fog. We didn't get off the ship until around 6:30 that evening.... the fog had rolled in again & so driving home was a bit scary. So, while my husband drove us, I searched on my phone for a hotel in Houston with a decent price as we had to have two rooms, travelling with my mother. This hotel came up & the price was more than reasonable. So, we booked King two rooms, side by side. We arrived & were helped immediately at the desk & quickly up to our rooms. The rooms we beautiful! Tall ceilings with windows to match! The bathroom is gorgeous & well stocked with the famous Westin products we LOVE. We were tired, cold & hungry after such a long day.... we didn't want to go out to eat anywhere, so we went down to the restaurant. The lobby, bar, restaurant are beautiful. Our meals were wonderful. I eat Gluten Free & while the waitress didn't know if the food I wanted was or not, she gladly went back & asked the chef who said he could prepare it that way for me. Very nice. Anyway, with our belly's full, we headed up to our rooms.... a nice HOT shower was in order.... then.... I literally fell into the "Heavenly Bed". Ahhhhhh!!!! Like sleeping on a cloud. The pillows are to die for! The bed lives up to it's name!! The best sleep I had had in a along time!

The only negative is that we had to leave & go home the next morning.

We have another cruise booked for later this year & have already booked this hotel pre-cruise. Can't wait.

We would be staying here for our anniversary in June, but discovered they don't have a pool. :-(

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank SRVFAN4EVR
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Ok my wife talked me into giving the Inn at the ball park a second chance. It is now called the The Westin Houston Downtown. Still being handled by the same folks who had it before. They no longer have the baseball theme (which we loved); it is a little more contemporary but not overly so (which we also love). When we made the reservation online we saw they had a few specials, even the one we almost got burned on last year same time and same place. Get the room and get valet parking included in the cost. The weekend we wanted to go showed they had the special rate of $125 per night available which included the valet parking. When we tried to book it online it came up at $189 per night. They had another deal for $145 per night plue $28 more for valet parking. You guessed it, that total was less than the special. So after about 2hrs of click and trying to get the best deal for our money we were about to give up. My wife said its time to call their main reservation number. So I did and spoke with a very understanding young man. He tried for about 30 minutes then admitted he could not come up with the $125 rate that included parking either. He could tell in my voice that I was disappointed but I wasn't going to let the price keep us from staying there. He put me on hold one more time and this time came back with a different offer. One night at a higher rate and the second night at a much lower rate. The average was about $127 per night but did not include parking. I told him that was great and lower than what we found online doing it ourselves. We booked it. He could still tell that the parking thing was bothering me. He said he would send an email directly to the hotel to see if there was anything they could do directly. I gave him by email address. My wife expected it would be a few days before hearing from anybody but we were wrong. They sent us an email the next morning with the name and email of a person at the hotel to talk to about the rate. So I sent an email directly to that person and told him what I saw online and asked if there was anything he could do to help us out on the rate. He sent back an email stating he would honor the rate we had seen online and sent us a new resevation showing the new rate. Things were looking Great. The room was booked at a great rate and all we had to do now was show up. So now for the trip. We live about 3 hours away from the Hotel but as chance would have it the Houston traffic made it 5 hours of stop and go traffic. By this time I was uptight over the drive. We pulled up to valet and they started to load our bags on the cart. The attendent was very helpful, but had this look on his face like something was wrong. I had brought a small ice chest with drinks for our room. He told me the Hotel does not allow ice chests in the room but he would ask since it was a small one. My wife was in the process of checking us in when the counter person said no ice chest no matter what size were allowed in the room. Long drive, I was dying for a beer, and now I'm told no ice chest in the room. There was a fridge in the room. I was about to come unglued. I took a step back and said to myself she did not make the rules just has to enforce them. So I said I understand. I was going to leave the ice chest in the vehicle and come down later to get the drinks. I was still very tired from the drive and did not pay much attention to what was going on around me at the time. But I guess someone must have over heard the conversation at the counter. I got up to my room on the 11th floor over looking the city and started to calm down. Great room with a Great veiw of the City and a Great price. About that time the bellman knocks on the door with our bags. I open the door and to my surprise they brought up my ice chest, put the drinks in the fridge for me and took the ice chest back to my car. He explained the reason for the rule is that many ice chests leak which causes problems with the floors and cleaning the rooms. That made perfect sense. Now that's customer service; going above and beyond for me. That little touch of class made my good day into a Great one. Both me and my wife were very tired from our long day which started at 4:00AM that morning. It was now about 8:00PM and we really didn't want to drive anywhere to eat. Last year when we had dinner in the Hotel it turned out to be a nightmare. We were very gun shy about trying it again. My wife suggested we try room service instead. That turned out to be a Great idea. We had a meat lovers pizza and a club sandwich with a salad. All were Great and the price was reasonable. Check out was alot better than last year. Last year we where checking out and they charged us the wrong amount. This year we where ready. We had all our paperwork ready to dispute the bill. They handed us the bill, it was correct, and we had no problems. We are already planning to stay there again next year. This hotel is worth a second chance!

Room Tip: Ask for a City View overlooking the park in front of the convention center.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SpursSA

Dear SpursSA:

We would like to sincerely thank you for your review and giving us a second opportunity to serve you as our guest. Genuine care and comfort of our guests is our highest mission and I am glad that we were able to provide that on your second visit. Should you need any further assistance, please feel free to reach out to me personally!

Thanks again!