“Avoid First Floor / Cramped Parking”
Review of 8080 Main

8080 Main
Ranked #290 of 511 Hotels in Houston
Sioux City
“Avoid First Floor / Cramped Parking”
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Stayed for four nights in a first floor room that was extremely musty bordering on mildewy. I mentioned this to the hotel staff, but never found out if they even attempted to resolve the problem since I never noticed any change in the room's smell or had any of the staff get back to me. Other guests traveling with me who stayed on upper floors had no problems. The breakfast room is nicely sized, but typical of most chain hotels they put in one table too many for the space making navigation around the room difficult. Anyone driving a large vehicle or pulling a trailer will have problems here because the parking lot does not allow you to turn around without doing a three point turn. The hotel would be smart to repaint the parking lot to allow a loop past the rear door of the hotel and back around to the front.

Room Tip: Stay away from first floor rooms.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
GMMedicalCenter, Manager at 8080 Main, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Dear niederw,

Thank you for taking the time and reviewing our hotel. We know your time is valuable and you had a number of lodging options in the area. I am sorry that we fell short of providing you with an experience that exceeds your expectations. We are distressed to hear that our agent’s service and quality fell short of your expectations. We do not want anybody to feel ignored. We are sincerely sorry for your experience. We take all reviews seriously. We use reviews, such as yours, to correct deficiencies.

We are currently refreshing the hotel and are addressing the issue with the breakfast area. We are also researching a way to address the parking issue while maintaining parking spaces.

Thank you again for taking the time to review us. We hope we will have the honor of hosting your next stay.

At your Service,

Guest Experience Champion

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 6 November 2013

great tv with directtv, nice location, decent rooms... i am sitting here writing this on 3g because their internet is THAT bad. calling this high speed is insulting. i stayed at work late every night sine the internet was veritably unusable for even simple browsing!

Room Tip: make sure you get non smoking if you dont smoke. people smoke a lot in the rooms.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear chrislatx,

Thank you for taking the time and reviewing our hotel. We know your time is valuable and you had a number of lodging options in the area. I am glad to hear that you have enjoyed some of our services. I am sorry to hear about the problem with the internet. I know how frustrating it can be when you can’t get your work done. We value all reviews and use them to address problem areas such as this. As of this posting, we have contacted the internet provider and have increased the internet speed.

At your Service,

Guest Experience Champion
Jasper, Texas, United States
Reviewed 19 October 2013

We arrived at the Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Houston Medical Center on October the 6th and it was like coming home. I was met with a big smile and great big hug by Debbie at the front desk. Jessica, the daytime shuttle driver, Chondra , front desk at night, Francy, the buffet sweetie, Donnie, front desk and Ron, night shuttle driver all have made our stay here so pleasurable. The hotel is clean and the 3rd floor has been so quiet. The breakfast buffet is excellent and the shuttle is just so wonderful, running Monday through Friday. Stayed here for 11 days in July because of Mom's medical procedures and have been here 13 days so far this time. The fact that there is a great washer and dryer makes it so nice when you have to be here for an extended time. There is a special rate for those staying here for medical appointments so be sure and stipulate that when making reservations. I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Third floor so no overhead noise. Washer and dryer on the second floor. Handicapped rooms available...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
GMMedicalCenter, Guest Relations Manager at 8080 Main, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Dear Nancy T,

Thank you for taking the time and reviewing our hotel. We know your time is valuable and you had a number of lodging options in the area. Your comments made us all smile. The whole staff loved your review. We use reviews, such as yours, to inspire our staff. Thank you again, for your review and for choosing our hotel. We always look forward to hosting your stay. We all hope your mom stays well and continues to visit us for many years to come.

Thibodaux, Louisiana
Reviewed 16 October 2013 via mobile

The hotel lobby smelled bad so I thought it would be horrible but the room was spacious and didn't smell bad. The staff was friendly and helpful. Overall it was a good value and in a good location for medical purposes. It also had plenty of restaurants close by and a shuttle. I didn't use the shuttle but it was nice to know it was available. The complimentary breakfast, cookies and coffee were a nice addition to my stay. They also had a small area with a microwave, mini fridge and utensils in the room. The bathtub was small and the bed was a little lumpy. It could use an update but it was still a good stay.

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
GMMedicalCenter, General Manager at 8080 Main, responded to this review, 18 October 2013
Dear LizEL678,

Thank you for taking the time to review us here. We know your time is valuable, and you had other lodging options in the area. I am glad you enjoyed our services. I do apologize for the issues you had. We value your feedback. We use these feedbacks to help us improve and target areas of concern. In fact, we are now in the process of updating all our beds to Simmons Beauty Rest.

Again, thank you for reviewing us. I hope that you will let us have the honor of hosting your stay again.

Texas
Reviewed 13 October 2013

I checked in with my mom recently to stay during her medical treatments at MD Anderson. The front desk staff was very helpful. The room was clean; although this was a smoking room, it didn't reek of cigarette smoke. We couldn't get the TV to work, but staff came quickly and fixed the problem. Their shuttle service runs until 10 PM, which was very helpful for us, as one treatment ran much later than expected. The shuttle drivers were very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was pretty good and had many items to choose from. The hotel is close to several restaurants and grocery stores. We had a mini fridge and microwave in the room, which came in handy for restaurant leftovers.

Room Tip: The third floor rooms have very high ceilings!
Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear TexasSWTraveler,

Thank you for taking the time to review us here. We know your time is valuable, and you had other lodging options in the area. I am happy to hear that you are happy with our staff and our cleanliness. I apologize for any inconvenience you had with your TV. We use feedback such as yours to target and resolve problems. We hope have the honor of hosting you again. We would like the opportunity of showing you a SMART stay.

Kerrville, Texas
Reviewed 4 October 2013

I had to cancel my reservation the day before (not within 24 hours) because I became too sick to travel. This was to be a business trip which was booked and cancelled the previous day by my company's travel department. My credit card was billed $236.33 penalty, which I am unable to expense. Upon checking later in the day I discovered the hotel was FULLY BOOKED, so my room was re-booked. I have been trying to get an explanation or some assistance from Guest Relations who said they would contact the hotel manager who would contact me. This was 2 weeks ago. I have contacted them twice and not received any response.

Definitely do not book a room here if there is any chance at all that you could become too sick to travel!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Terry A
Dear Terry A,

Thank you for taking your time to review our hotel. I am sorry to hear of your inconvenience with our cancellation policy. We use reviews, such as yours, to target areas of concern.

Again, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

Austin, Texas
Reviewed 27 September 2013

I was there with my mother for some appointments I had at MD Anderson. Hotel was great! Room was very clean, although there was a hole in the wall from where it looked like they had to do some work for whatever reason but we were able to cover it up and it wasn't a bother. Didn't have to use the shuttle this time around but we did see it running and heard the front desk calling for pickups at MD so I'm assuming that would have been great too if we'd used it. Continental breakfast was pretty decent. Small egg omelets, bacon, biscuits, cereal, juice and even pancakes. Great for a quick bite before heading out. It's close to almost everything you need (restaurants and groceries) and it's a short drive to MD if you're driving yourself around. The only complaint I have (and it's really not even a complaint) is that the lobby had a very weird, armpit smell to it. Overall I was very impressed with the place and will be staying there again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Dear Denise G,

Thank you for taking your time and reviewing our hotel. We know that you had many lodging options in this area and you stayed with us. I am happy to hear of your impression with our hotel. I apologize for the issue with your room and the lobby. We use feedback from our guests to address our problem areas.

Again, I thank you for staying with us and we hope you will give us the honor of hosting your stay again in the future.