“Great meal in houston” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Pass
Ranked #366 of 8,114 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dallas, Texas
“Great meal in houston”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

We ate at Provisions (which is the casual side of "pass and provisions") this restaurant recently got voted #6 in best new restaurants in the USA by Bon appetite magazine.

We were in Houston for the weekend visiting family, so couldn't resist trying it out.
The decor is gorgeous..sort of a trendy rustic feel. The "tablecloths" are giant paper menus...very cool.
And yes...The food was delicious
Oysters- fat plumb and briny
Bone marrow brioche- unusual as the bone marrow had been removed and mixed into the brioche bread. The empty bone was then filled with a tomatoe chutney style spread. Yum
Ham of the day- thinly cut ham with fabulous flavours
Suckling pig- oh my. This serves 2 ($55) and was the best. It tasted delicious and everyone on our table agreed it was the best
Table mates ordered the lobster roll and the pasta which whilst good paled next to the suckling pig.
Everyone was very friendly and accommodating. The bathrooms were über trendy and the wash area communal. I thought they were gorgeous and fit in with the rest of the decor
My only complaint at all was our waiter. So ..he was a great waiter, friendly and never left us sitting waiting. I just felt he was a little pushy in the beginning. His suggestions for the appetizers were great (brioche, ham and cheese) but quite forcibly "suggested" to where I felt bad saying no thanks. As it happened all his suggestions were great so I didn't come out feeling bitter at all.
I ordered a glass wine and he brought me a sample of it plus another glass which he suggested would go better with my meal. True the glass he brought did taste better but I am glad I looked at the menu as my glass was $10 and his replacement glass was $18. In that case I did say no thank you. He really knew his job but his style was just a little aggressive for me.
Finally to end on a high note we ordered the ten dollar milk shake and it was a malted milkskake with left hand milk stout added. I can't tell you how much I loved this!!!!!

• Visited October 2013

Houston
“Delicious”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

This restaurant was wonderful from start to finish. It is either a 5 or 8 chef tasting menu. We chose the 8 course menu with wine pairings. It was very creative and delicious! The restaurant was pricey but it was expected. I would definitely go back for a special occasion.

• Visited September 2013
Houston, Texas
“Set your expectations properly and u won't be disappointed”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

If the expectation is to have fun with friends, for an imaginative dining experience, this is perfect. As mentioned by others, the portions are expectedly small, but getting the 8-course menu with wine pairing, it's actually perfect. Aside from the ridiculously awful wine pairing for the first course, the entire experience was fun and funky. Though considered "formal" dining, its atmosphere is decidedly cool and fun- I'm not sure if this would be a super romantic dinner place, but with the right group of foodie friends, it's whimsical and fun.

• Visited September 2013
“Intimate, delicious, creative”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

We've been to the Provision side before and it was great, but for a special birthdays dinner, we tried The Pass. The menu descriptions don't really give you a good idea of what to expect. Everything was delicious and the drama of the presentation was fun.

We also had one pescetarian in the group and a special menu was presented to accommodate. One person had the 5-course with pairing option; one had 5-course no pairings and two had 9-course no pairing. The no pairing folks split a lovely bottle of wine. We started with a glass of sparkling. Everything was wonderful. The view of the chefs at work was entertaining and service was great. Pricey but worth it for a special occasion.

• Visited August 2013
“Pass on Pass!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

We had the 8 course with wine pairings. We were very disappointed in the whole experience. Portions were ridiculously small and only one of the courses was above average. Nothing was OMG wait until you taste this. Surprised Bon Appetit ranks this as the 6th Best New Restaurant in America. Everyone was still hungry when we left. Pass on Pass.

• Visited August 2013