“Food is fine, the rest not so”
Review of Farrago - CLOSED

Farrago
Cuisines: Italian, International
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Cross street: Bagby
Transit: Yes
Description: Named the best brunch by H-Texas Magazine for 2011, Farrago is nestled in the bustling Midtown district. The restaurant prides itself in making everything possible from scratch. During the week, it lives up to its name (Farrago means a mixture of things) servicing the hip young professionals in Midtown with a cornucopia of items from all over the world (Posole, Vietnamese Salad, Cioppino, Sushi Tuna Appetizer with seawead salad, Jerked Chicken Wings, Pulled Pork Sandwich, freshly made Pizzas and even Fried Oysters with teardrop tomatoes, arugula and a wasabi cream sauce). It also has a lively happy hour with over 70 bottles of wine by the glass and appetizers for either $3, $5 or $7.
Reviewed 5 July 2013

The food was quite good and the portions adequate. The appetizers were certainly built for 2 or 3. Excellent apple crumb dessert. However, service was spotty and the staff didn't seem to care that much. The place could also have had better standards for cleanliness. Hard to make reservations (not sure you need them) because either they don't pick up or can't understand them (phone cuts out). Wish I could say I would consider going back, but probably won't be.

Reviewed 24 June 2013 via mobile

There's not a better brunch place in Houston. Two words: bottomless biomass. We love sitting outside on the patio and relaxing. There will always be a wait though so call ahead if you can.

Reviewed 14 April 2013

My wife and I decided to go into Houston and have dinner at a restaurant that we had not tried before. We ended up selecting Farrago World Cuisine in Midtown due to its menu and decided on a three-course meal selection with a Groupon. I made reservations which turned out to not really have been needed.

Finding it was easy with quick parking next to it. We arrived at 6:15 for our 6:30 reservation and only two other tables in the main room were occupied. We were seated quickly at a table for two which turned out to have a view into the back room. This turned out interesting since they were hosting a speed dating group in the back room. That group provided for some entertainment and conversation while watching them during our wait for our food.

The waiter came to get our drink orders and we both ordered a glass of wine. He then returned with water and took our dinner order.

For appetizers, we had:
- Shrimp Scampi made with fresh gulf shrimp, garlic butter, tomatoes, and garlic roll
- Farrago's chopped Romaine salad with cherry tomatoes, gorgonzola, and a jalapeno-ranch dressing

For our entrees, we had:
- Rib eye with herb-roasted Yukon gold potatoes, bacon lardon, and a red-wine demi
- Pan-seared red fish and shrimp with a citrus beurre blanc and spinach risotto

For desert, our selections were:
- Creme Brulee
- Chocolate-mousse parfait

After about 10 minutes, the waiter was back with my wife's wine selection and a partial 2nd glass of another wine. It turned out that the wine I had selected was out and the bartender had sent this wine for me to sample. Since it tasted decent, I went ahead and told him I would take a glass of it. He then was given a carafe from the bar to fill my glass.

By this time, a few more people had arrived and the speed dating group seemed to be finishing up. A large group of high school students, out on their prom night, was let off at the door. it suddenly got very noisy in there. They had reservations for 7 PM (it was now 6:40) and it seemed to be in the back room, so they were asked to wait outside at the tables on the sidewalk.

Our appetizers finally arrived and the food was excellent. The sauce and the bread with the shrimp was fantastic. My wife enjoyed the flavoring of the salad. We finished off the appetizers and waited for our entrees. It seemed to take a while and in the meantime, the speed dating group was slowly leaving, the students came back in at 7 PM to wait for the room (noisy again), and a few more tables filled up. The students did finally get seated in the back and the noise level wasn't too bad until the bar area filled up and then it became a little hard to hear each other.

The entrees finally came and both of them tasted very flavorful and were well cooked. The fish and shrimp was perfect, though I had to make sure there was spinach in each bite of the risotto to ensure there was flavor there. The steak was cooked as my wife likes it, though she got full and had to take ask for them to pack the remainder to take home with us.

The desert was a little slow in coming as well, but was worth the wait. They were both large portions. My wife pretty well finished off the creme brulee and I ate about half of the parfait (asked to take the remainder with us), though I made sure to eat all the strawberries and the excellent ice cream that came with it.

When we were finished, I asked for the check. I found it interesting that my wife's rib-eye was brought back to us first in a to-go box; then a few minutes later, the check. Looking at the check, I realized something was wrong since they had only taken off $39, which was what we had paid for the Groupon. I pointed it out to the waiter and he took it back to his waiter. He came back a few minutes later saying that the manager had gotten the value to take off incorrect. It was right now with the tax and our drinks charged correctly. He also brought my box with the parfait in it to take home.

This place is a great value, especially with a Groupon, but I would have felt fine paying full price for the food that we ate. It just seemed a little slow between the courses, especially since they were not very busy for most of the time we were there (about 90 minutes). I would return for another meal.

Reviewed 25 March 2013

Still a happening Sunday Brunch spot for the partiers. Bottomless mimosas are the draw as is a decent menu and great people watching. Most hang inside but there is limited outdoor seating. A great spot.

Reviewed 2 February 2013

My wife and I had dinner at Farrago's last night. We used a Groupon coupon good for a three-course dinner for two for $39, a helluva deal. Of course, booze is not included, so we still spent a few bucks, but the food and service were outstanding. We were waited on by the Executive Chef, who seriously makes the best creme brulee we have EVER had. It was just perfection. The Caesar salad (appetizer) was perfect, the shrimp scampi (appetizer) awesome, the redfish + shrimp (main course) and the rib eye (main course) were outstanding; the creme brulee and chocolate mousse (desserts) were indescribably good. Superlatives just fail. And one of the absolute best things is that we can WALK to the restaurant from our home! Currently construction in the area makes things a bit of a mess, but when it is all complete (slated for completion June of 2013) access should greatly improve. 5 stars.