“Classy and Yummy”

Brennan's of Houston
Reserve with OpenTable
Brennan's of Houston is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 8,507 Restaurants in Houston
Price range: US$25 - US$100
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Cross street: Stuart
Description: Since our 1967 opening as a sister restaurant to the world-famous Commander's Palace in New Orleans, Brennan's of Houston has evolved into the city's premier destination for memorable dining served with true Southern hospitality. From the reservationist to the waiters, chefs and every associate behind the scenes, our team is focused on the highest standard of excellence and equally dedicated to creating enduring memories of snapshots in time: the sealing of business deals, wedding proposals, joyful celebrations, and the marking of significant milestones along life's way. And the proof is in the (bread) pudding, with loyal patrons returning time and again to create new memories.Reflecting the same warmth as our friendly greeting, each farewell concludes with Brennan's signature lagniappe: an abundance of unforgettably fresh pecan pralines.
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I went to dinner (on a whim) with co-workers since we were all in town for work. I love the fact that this restaurant was only less than a mile from my hotel and work building so we all had a nice brisk walk to and from the restaurant. Even though we were all very under dressed and super casual as compared to the rest of the clientele that evening, the service was still impeccable. I ordered the Gulf Fish Pontchartrain and was in seventh heaven! Granted I've never had this dish before so I have nothing to compare it to but it was delicious! As for dessert, I think I had the white chocolate bread pudding which was also amazing. We polished three bottles of Malbec to boot! I'd definitely go back the next time I'm in the area.

1  Thank TravelJunkees

Reviewed 2 June 2014

My mother and I have Houston Ballet season tickets. We always choose a nice restaurant to dine at before the Sunday ballet. Brennan's is one of those restaurants that we come to at least once or twice a year for their Sunday Brunch before the ballet. We love Brennan's. It's so nice to come to a restaurant where people are dressed nicely, the service is impeccable, and food is beyond delicious.
We once again chose Brennan's before we saw the ballet on June 1. As usual, the service and food were wonderful. Mother had the Eggs Benedict and they were prepared exactly as she likes them with the yolk hard. I had the Shrimp and Grits, which is one of my favorites. The grits are so creamy and the shrimp are just delicious! We both had the Bananas Foster, which is so yummy and the presentation is fun. Also, kudos to Brennan's regular coffee. It is so smooth and perfect. So, the food & service were perfect as usual.
What wasn't so perfect was our table placement. June 1 also happened to be my Mother's 77th birthday and because of that I wanted to make sure the day was special for her. I usually make the reservations and our table placement has always been fine. This time to ensure we had a good table, I had my credit card concierge service make the reservation. My first choice was the banquette chairs in the main dining room. Second choice was another room with a view overlooking the courtyard. And, in the end, any place that was not in a pathway. The concierge spoke with Cecily at Brennan's and was assured that our needs would be taken care of. Since reservations were made 2 weeks ahead of time, it shouldn't have been that difficult.
Well, as you can guess, our table placement was awful. We were put in the main dining room at the table where the pathway into the adjoining room is located. There were a parade of people coming and going constantly. As we were eating early, at first it wasn't too bad, but as the brunch went on, it became very noisy and distracting. As Mother has a slight hearing problem, all the noise was a problem.
Needless to say, I was very disappointed and felt bad for Mother. When I first began to write this review I was going to give a 3 star rating, but that wouldn't be fair to the chefs and the servers. Brennan's is a wonderful restaurant and we usually walk away with such a good feeling. Just too bad that didn't happen this time.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Lucky me -- my best friend and I met for a long lunch last week and picked Brennan's for the occasion to catch up. The 25 cent martini lunch special may not be a regular feature for everyone, but I was on vacation for the rest of the day, so indulge we did. How can one not be in love with crab cakes, garlic bread, and lemon meringue pie? Then on Sat. night we went back to celebrate their anniversary. Again, the soft shell crab, turtle soup, steak, mud pie, and perfect wine simply made the evening's enjoyment among longtime friends all the more memorable. Good service, good food, good times.

2  Thank DilleauxL
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Yes it is nice quality all the time, but the Sunday brunch is one or if not the best in town. By the way, try the turtle soup, it has that fantastic New Orleans flavor. The valet parking is mandatory so be prepared.

1  Thank irbflyfish
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Brennan's is a treasure in Houston. Very elegant, so be sure to wear your Sunday best. Now I've been to the Chesapeake and I've also had authentic New England seafood, but I must say that the crab cakes I had at Brennan's were some of the best that I've ever had. Try them! The service was incredible and the night, special. This is a must try for fine dining in Houston.