“One of the best. Period.”

Brennan's of Houston
Reserve with OpenTable
Brennan's of Houston is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 8,351 Restaurants in Houston
Price range: US$25 - US$100
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Cross street: Stuart
Description: Since our 1967 opening as a sister restaurant to the world-famous Commander's Palace in New Orleans, Brennan's of Houston has evolved into the city's premier destination for memorable dining served with true Southern hospitality. From the reservationist to the waiters, chefs and every associate behind the scenes, our team is focused on the highest standard of excellence and equally dedicated to creating enduring memories of snapshots in time: the sealing of business deals, wedding proposals, joyful celebrations, and the marking of significant milestones along life's way. And the proof is in the (bread) pudding, with loyal patrons returning time and again to create new memories.Reflecting the same warmth as our friendly greeting, each farewell concludes with Brennan's signature lagniappe: an abundance of unforgettably fresh pecan pralines.
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I've been coming to Brennan's of Houston for years and it always impresses me. The food is consistently delicious and presented well. The service is one of the best. Their attention to detail goes beyond what you'd expect.

For an even better experience, attend one of their cooking classes. Not only will you learn, you'll get a great meal at a great price.

I do miss the charm of the "old", but Hurricane Rita had its own plans. The building may have changed some, but what makes this one of the best is the people there.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

I guess this is one of those places you either love it or hate it; I'm the latter I guess.

Brunch is at least $32 -$40 (not including your beverage) and consist of 1 soup or salad, 1 entree, and 1 dessert. One example of an entree was a pouched egg with two pancakes. Really!
Almost every brunch entree includes a pouched egg so you better like raw egg. The pouched egg on everything does not make it a gourmet meal neither does the high price. A crab cake with a pouched egg. Grits with shrimp.

We were in a large group so there was a varied assortment of courses chosen, none that impressive for the price. Some of the desserts were amazing, some good, and several just OK. However, the pralines that are available near the door - TRY them, they are delicious!

There is no self parking, so be prepared to pay the required $5 for valet. The servers were friendly and most were quick to respond to our requests. They did bring everyones food out at the same time as noted by other reviewers. However, they got our orders mixed up and had to take them back until they could sort out who had which dish. In fact, when we attempted to tell them they had it wrong one of the servers told us no and started to argue with us until they realized maybe we did know what we actually ordered after all.

I'm told the dinner menu is more impressive, but after this brunch experience I don't believe it is worth returning to try it. There are simply too many excellent restaurants in Houston, some more expensive some less, but differently better.

Pralines may have been the best part of meal, but they were not good enough for us to return; we will not repeat and we will not recommend.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

I had the pleasure of eating at Brennan's again last night for probably the dozenth time, but this time at the Chef's Table/Kitchen Table as we were celebrating a friend's surprise late-20s-something birthday. I have always wanted to dine at this table and can't quote afford the Chef-for-a-Day experience yet, so this was a welcomed treat and I was thrilled to be invited.
Our reservation was for 12, which is the maximum number of people who can be seated at the Kitchen Table (minimum is 4). We kicked off the celebration at the bar and then were escorted to our table promptly at 7:30.
One of Brennan's two sommeliers, whose name I can't recall :-/, explained that he would be our server for the evening and asked who would be opting for wine pairings (all 12 of us said yes). Throughout the night he was very friendly and funny, answering all our dumb questions without condescension, and helped make the evening very relaxed and enjoyable for us all. Before the meal, Chef Danny Trace introduced himself and asked if any of us had any food allergies or dietary preferences. Most of us will eat anything, but a few offered up some requirements and Brennan's was happy to accommodate.
A couple of short minutes later we were served the first course, and the meal was paced very well from then on out. Each portion was relatively large compared to what I've received during other tasting events, but I can't say I'm surprised since I never leave Brennan's hungry. I licked all my plates clean and even stole a few bites from my pescatarian friend to my right (the crawfish & waffle - YUMMM).
I appreciated that each course was served to all 12 of us at the exact same time by multiple servers, and I swear by the end of the night we had been served by everyone in the kitchen. Each dish and accompanying wine were explained well and paired very nicely together. For dessert, we were served at least 1 of everything on the dessert menu, and played dessert roulette passing all the items around. It was a wonderful end to the meal.
As much food as we were served, I left comfortably full (if that makes sense?!) at the end of the evening and didn't feel like I had to be rolled out of there afterward. I definitely grabbed a few pralines on my way out, which I'm now consuming for breakfast...
As for price, each couple's bill totaled just under $350, not including tip (without wine pairings it would have been under $200). It was definitely worth the price tag, though next time I would probably purchase wine by the bottle or individual glass as I prefer heavy reds and we were served whites, rose and lighter-bodied reds. That is just my personal preference, though, and just something to consider for next time. Can't wait for the next big family celebration, holiday, milestone, etc. so I can come back again!

Reviewed 3 June 2014

I went to dinner (on a whim) with co-workers since we were all in town for work. I love the fact that this restaurant was only less than a mile from my hotel and work building so we all had a nice brisk walk to and from the restaurant. Even though we were all very under dressed and super casual as compared to the rest of the clientele that evening, the service was still impeccable. I ordered the Gulf Fish Pontchartrain and was in seventh heaven! Granted I've never had this dish before so I have nothing to compare it to but it was delicious! As for dessert, I think I had the white chocolate bread pudding which was also amazing. We polished three bottles of Malbec to boot! I'd definitely go back the next time I'm in the area.

1  Thank TravelJunkees
Reviewed 2 June 2014

My mother and I have Houston Ballet season tickets. We always choose a nice restaurant to dine at before the Sunday ballet. Brennan's is one of those restaurants that we come to at least once or twice a year for their Sunday Brunch before the ballet. We love Brennan's. It's so nice to come to a restaurant where people are dressed nicely, the service is impeccable, and food is beyond delicious.
We once again chose Brennan's before we saw the ballet on June 1. As usual, the service and food were wonderful. Mother had the Eggs Benedict and they were prepared exactly as she likes them with the yolk hard. I had the Shrimp and Grits, which is one of my favorites. The grits are so creamy and the shrimp are just delicious! We both had the Bananas Foster, which is so yummy and the presentation is fun. Also, kudos to Brennan's regular coffee. It is so smooth and perfect. So, the food & service were perfect as usual.
What wasn't so perfect was our table placement. June 1 also happened to be my Mother's 77th birthday and because of that I wanted to make sure the day was special for her. I usually make the reservations and our table placement has always been fine. This time to ensure we had a good table, I had my credit card concierge service make the reservation. My first choice was the banquette chairs in the main dining room. Second choice was another room with a view overlooking the courtyard. And, in the end, any place that was not in a pathway. The concierge spoke with Cecily at Brennan's and was assured that our needs would be taken care of. Since reservations were made 2 weeks ahead of time, it shouldn't have been that difficult.
Well, as you can guess, our table placement was awful. We were put in the main dining room at the table where the pathway into the adjoining room is located. There were a parade of people coming and going constantly. As we were eating early, at first it wasn't too bad, but as the brunch went on, it became very noisy and distracting. As Mother has a slight hearing problem, all the noise was a problem.
Needless to say, I was very disappointed and felt bad for Mother. When I first began to write this review I was going to give a 3 star rating, but that wouldn't be fair to the chefs and the servers. Brennan's is a wonderful restaurant and we usually walk away with such a good feeling. Just too bad that didn't happen this time.