“Great Authentic Mexican Food”
Review of Tila's Restaurante & Bar - CLOSED

Tila's Restaurante & Bar
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Mc.Duffy
Description: Since the mid '80s, Tila's has challenged the boundaries of traditional Mexican cuisine with inspired, age-old family recipes. From brie cheese and pear quesadillas to tequila-marinated salmon with fresh kiwi and mango slices, the cuisine is anything but predictable. Only the vivid imagination and tequila-inspired tastes of Tila's could conjure up such extraordinary fare. Customer favorites include Salmon Borracho, Filet Mignon, Chiles en Nogada, and our signature marinated Chilean Sea Bass. The patio provides the perfect retreat for the neighborhood crowd to unwind after a long day's work, weekend shopping or as a precursor to the night ahead. With homemade, all natural margaritas and an impressive selection of over 60 premium tequilas, patrons will be inspired to do absolutely nothing at all. And love every minute of it. Tila's is warm, friendly and comfortable without any pretensions. Our guests feel at home with our unique family environment that makes dining here so special.
Reviewed 4 March 2014

If you want tex-mex, covered in queso, this is not the place for you. This is fresh yummy authentic mexican food. It's a small restaurant with fun (mostly pigs) decor, cozy and it's so nice to go to a restaurant that isn't a chain! Tila is usually there herself so you can have a chat with her. There is a small room in the back that we had a private party at for my birthday years ago. The chilequiles are the best and so are the margaritas! Only small hiccup last time was our waitress disappeared after we finished our meals and I had to ask around to find her so we could get our bill. We sat there for about 30-45 minutes wondering where she went...she could have made money off of us if she would have asked if we wanted more drinks, but I guess she was busy in the back trying to close out. I guess don't stay late if you can help it.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

We were in the process of enjoying a middle of the road meal in the early evening at this place when I noticed a roach crawling up the wall behind my wife. My wife got up and calmly went over to the manager to let her know of the roach. The manager then went on to tell my wife that she and I shouldn't make a big deal about the roach. She proceeded to tell us how roaches are common and very defensively and argumentatively said we shouldn't make a big deal about it. By this time the roach hid behind a mirror on the wall. We then asked if we could be moved to a different table in the restaurant not against that wall. The manager proceeded to drag her feet and say moving us would mess with her seating system... Keep in mind this was at 5:30 PM and there were only two other tables in the restaurant full at the time. She eventually said "fine I guess you can move" and pointed to a table two down that was still along the same wall but with a very rude attitude and stormed away.

Its a shame the place seemed like it had some potential to be really nice when we walked in. But that soon changed as the wait staff was inexperienced and really slow, but the main problem was management. The owner was rude both to her employees in front of customers and rude directly with customers. It left a very bad impression that was not to be outdone by the horrible handling of a situation in which I felt like I was being blamed for acknowledging that the restaurant had a roach that was crawling mere inches away from my wife.

1  Thank jared625
Reviewed 22 September 2013 via mobile

The authentic Mexican food was a treat, and sitting outside for brunch on a beautiful day, listening to live music, enhanced the experience. The patio is, "dog friendly," and very comfortable. We enjoyed the Brie & pear quesadillas, fresh Ceviche, and grilled scallions, along with our mimosas. Amazing...especially the quesadillas. Our waiter was friendly, and the prices were very reasonable. This is definitely a place we would recommend to others.

curve1111, Owner at Tila's Restaurante & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2013

Thank you for your time in writing this most complimentary review. I am so glad you enjoyed yourself and we very much look forward to your next visit.

I would love to meet you personally.

Please ask for me the next time you come visit.

Warmest Regards.

Tila Hidalgo

Reviewed 6 August 2013

Their brunch is really delicious!! I've also been for dinner, and was surprised at how romantic it felt. Very intimate little restaurant with really top notch food.

Reviewed 19 July 2013

While the service was pleasant (I would not call it good, but it was friendly), the food was not good. He real insult came with the check, where the specials we ordered were $25 and $20. Ridiculous for what we got, and considering the place is run down and worn out.

Really just not good food. Over salted and generic and boring.

Stay away

curve1111, Owner at Tila's Restaurante & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2013

I am so sorry you were not happy with your experience at Tila's. We do our best to offer authentic Mexican / Continental cuisine which is made from scratch.

I will be happy to give you a gift certificate to come back and give us another try.

I am sorry you think the restaurant is old and run-down. Our ambiance is rustic, eclectic and cozy. Maybe it is just not your taste.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

You may email me at tilas@earthlink.net

Most Sincerely,