“Upscale Mexican food, lively restaurant, fun”
Review of Hugo's

Hugo's
Ranked #16 of 8,448 Restaurants in Houston
Price range: US$21 - US$35
Cuisines: Mexican, Contemporary
Good for: Child-friendly, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Neighbourhood: Neartown/ Montrose
Description: Located in the heart of Houston's Montrose area, Hugo's brings the exciting and earthy flavors of Mexico across the border. “Authentic Mexican cooking is a world-class cuisine that has remained virtually unchanged by the outside world," says Executive Chef Hugo Ortega of his native cuisine. "The food is as light and fresh as a seafood cocktail prepared by fishermen on the beach; as deep and complex as the moles of Oaxaca made with an astounding number of ingredients; and as earthy as the simplest handmade corn tortilla." With the opening of his namesake restaurant in 2002, Ortega journeyed full-circle to rediscover the foods of his homeland. The menu features traditional dishes from the many regions of Mexico, all made from scratch in Mexican tradition, including various cheeses, moles, tortillas and chocolate. The restaurant is also known for its stellar award-winning wine program, cocktail list and tequila menu.
Reviewed 29 October 2013

The restaurant came highly recommended, both by Trip Advisor reviewers and friends in Houston, so my husband and I went with another couple. Overall we had a great experience. I'm always looking for "authentic Mexican" food when I travel outside of New England, but I'll freely admit I'm no expert. My dinner ended up being an example of "I wish I'd chosen what John chose." I had the "baby pig" cooked in the banana leaf. It was all beautifully prepared and presented, but it wasn't what I expected. The pork meat had been cooked in a barbeque-like sauce, which to me overpowered the delicate meat. The side items were arranged separately on the plate, no melding of flavors, and only later on did my husband and I see the tacos on the table and decide I should have put my meal into the taco and create my own flavor meld. But I didn't want tacos for dinner. John had the braised duck with mole, and he didn't stop raving about his meal the entire evening. Other reviewers recommended having the duck, and they also recommended having an entree with a mole, because Hugo's is famous for its moles, and that's what I should have had because those reviewers were right. John and his wife started with the butternut squash soup, and I tried a spoonful, and it was out of this world delicious. My husband and I had the ceviche, which was also good, but again I wished I had the soup. I mean, I'm comparing "good" to "better", so I'll just need to go back to Hugo's and try other menu items. I had the Dulce de Leche churros for dessert, and those were superb. Bar scene was fun and lively while we waited for our table. Oh, make a reservation... I didn't even think of that on a Wednesday night. My mistake. Luckily we were seated quickly, but it's a popular place so plan a head with a reservation.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

This was my first visit to Hugo's and I will definitely be back! We went for Sunday Brunch and it was the best! There was a vast array of authentic Mexican dishes, I didn't know where to start.
The brunch cocktails are yummy, too!

Be sure to make your reservation well in advance, place gets booked. The only downside is you can hardly have a conversation with the person across from you, it's soooo loud and the mariachis don't help. I guess the less you talk, the more of the incredible fare you can eat :-). Enjoy!

Reviewed 15 October 2013

Post conference dinner here on Columbus Day 2013. Some of the better upscale Mexican food that I have had in a while. I especially liked the fried grasshopper appetizer ("Chapulines"). Chiles en Nogada entree was very good also. Will definitely be making a return visit!

Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

We have been coming to Hugo's for years and it is always great. Charm and menu like the quality restaurants in Mexico City. Food is always creative and best ingredients. Service impeccable. Good wine list and great desserts. We always look forward to the churros. Best ever.

1  Thank MojoCatTexas
Reviewed 2 October 2013

While visiting, we took our parents here for brunch over the weekend! It was super easy to make and change the reservations on opentable! They have complimentary valet service and the guys were even nice enough to escort us to the door with umbrellas during a downpour. The brunch menu us large and has great variety! We had the barbacoa dish, it was lamb and delicious! Also had a strawberry mimosa, delicious! Service was great and fast! Food was fresh! We will definitely return for dinner!