“Expect the Unexpected”

Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Alabama
Transit: HCC/Ensemble Light Rail Stop
Reviewed 24 November 2013

We recently visited Sparrow because we thought it sounded like an interesting and different place - which it definitely was. If we hadn't had the address, we would have driven right by it - not a prominent location. The place was fairly small with a definite industrial feel. High open ceilings with unusual light fixtures; metal tables and chairs; felt cold and uninviting. However, we were there for the food, so we stayed. Menu not your usual fare, by any means. I had the ribeye which was very good and the best thing that the six of us ordered. Side dishes are ordered separately; everything was OK but I will admit that the brussel sprouts, which I don't like, were outstanding. Desserts were quite good. Overall, I would have said I would go back - until we got the check. Ouch! If you go, be prepared. With 1 drink each, shared appetizers, entrees, and shared desserts, our bill was about $100 per person.

Reviewed 21 November 2013

I went here for lunch and really enjoyed the vegetarian offerings and my guest had a build your own burger which he stated was outstanding. You must get the crispy brussel sprouts and the market vegetables. I am not a big fan of brussel sprouts or okra and this restaurant's preparation changed my mind. Servers were attentive and atmosphere was enjoyable.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

Our party of four had two extremely good dishes, the hanger steak and the scallops, one pretty good dish, the venison, and one disappointing dish, the triple tail fillet which was just a piece of fish without much of anything to recommend it over Mrs. Paul's. We also had three side dishes that were among the very best of their type we'd ever had. The Brussels Sprouts were so good that our Brussels Sprout hater loved them. The Mac and Cheese side dish was the best I've ever had as well.

There were two other disappointments. Our hot appetizer arrived cold. And one of our desert items had what I consider to be an inexcusable flaw. Despite a fancy Italian name that I've forgotten, it amounted to home made vanilla ice cream with some English toffee and a mixture of nuts and popcorn. It was delicious but had two kernels of unzipped popcorn in the small dish. One we could believe but two indicates carelessness.

We loved Tafia but we found Sparrow to be a mixed bag. Some excellent and some... disappointing.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

So if you take the Metro down to Sparrow, you have to run the gauntlet of hippies and hipsters to get there. The neighborhood is decidedly funky but well worth a visit if you're a bit adventuresome. You can walk to the Metro from the conference center so it makes for a good place to get away from the usual business crowd.

Appetizers were excellent and my meal of seared scallops was actually quite filling. And you gotta love any place that serves brussel sprouts as a side item. They had a surprisingly nice TX wine to pair with the meal and a not overly decadent dessert to wrap up with - all in all, I'd say it was a perfect balance.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

I went to this restaurant for brunch after buying a Groupon. It's a small restaurant but nicely decorated. When checking into Foursquare, I was given a free drink which was awesome (probably not for everyone as it was made with a jalapeno vodka - but I'd go back just for that drink!). The mac and cheese was probably the best I've ever had, very creamy made with several different kinds of cheeses. Also the Scone is a must try....it's infused with lavendar served blackberry perserves and what I thought was cream cheese but I've read that its Creme Fraiche? We also had the bottomless mimosas, i've had better...maybe a bit too much OJ. Entrees were a bit pricey.
There's not much parking, so we had to valet park, but it's complimentary.
Overall, We had a good experience at Sparrow Bar + Cookshop.