“Authentic Cantonese food that only Chinese people know about”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Fung's Kitchen

Fung's Kitchen
Ranked #171 of 8,142 Restaurants in Houston
Price range: US$20 - US$35
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian, Seafood
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Delivery, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
San Luis Obispo, California
“Authentic Cantonese food that only Chinese people know about”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2013

I'm of Chinese heritage, but being born in the US, I can't order what my parents can. They order food you have to know about before you can order it, which is why whenever I go to Houston, I tell them, "Let's get special Chinese food -- the GOOD stuff!" (My wallet is prepared.) So they take me to Fung's, where they have live seafood in fishtanks.

My stepmom is a Foodie (capital F) from Taiwan. She knows Chinese food like no one's business. This weekend (Chinese New Year's), here's what she ordered for the 4 of us: (in no particular order)
- sauteed snow-pea greens
- fresh pork with the thinnest crispiest crust of fat or skin-- the ultra-thin ultra-crunchy crust was to die for!! a cross between juicy pork chop and a hint of bacon
- 2 lobsters cantonese style
- salted abalone w/baby bok choy (the dried preserved abalone is soaked for a day, sliced thin, and sauteed w/the veggie)...
- fresh abalone w/baby greens. not as good as I remembered abalone being when I last had it many many years ago. my dad explained that abalone nowadays is just not as good because it's impossible to get the big ones anymore, and it's the big ones that have the most flavor.
- live shrimp, parboiled. for those who have never had this, this is one of my favorite dishes. it highlights the fresh sweet flavor of shrimp. served whole (w/head on), you break the head off like a whole lobster, and taste the juicy sweet flavor of shrimp that you only get when they swimming 5 minutes earlier. (ask my gringo BF who agreed it was the best seafood he'd ever eaten.)

Of course, this sumptuous feast was not cheap, nor did I expect it to be. The tab came to $303 before tip, with only had one glass of wine on the tab for $7.50. The salted abalone was $116; the fresh abalone was $26, and the live boiled shrimp was $68. I don't mind paying this much because I don't get to Houston often enough to eat this great quality Chinese food. In case you didn't know, Houston now has a tremendous Chinese immigrant population-- new immigrants as opposed to 2nd and 3rd generation. Unlike San Francisco, these newer immigrants mean better Chinese food, because it's more authentic.

So if you want authentic Chinese food, go to Fung's, ask the owners to order for you, and don't expect the food to be any cheaper than fine French cuisine. Do be prepared for some of the finest Chinese food in the US.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank janwg1

Houston, Texas
“What do you know? They do Dim Sum!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2013

Dim sum is available here during the week at lunch. Although they don't push the carts (Houston has several dedicated dim sum restaurants that do, but not so convenient to the freeway) they have a good variety and it's hot and fresh. If you prefer their enormous book-like menu, they also have a huge choice of Cantonese style and other types of entrees.

Visited February 2013
Spring
“Dining surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2013

I had no clue what I was eating, but it was good! As soon as I walked in and saw >90% of the customers were Chinese, I knew the food had to be authentic. I was baffled for a while as I discovered the menu was a la carte as the carts (all pun intended) stopped by often offering the menu items. A simple "yes" gets the food on your table, normally a serving of four pieces. The waiters and waitresses spoke limited English, so I just enjoyed strange dishes.

I suggest only adults visit - kids probably will be reluctant to dabble in new dishes. The cost can add up quickly, though, if you get too busy experimenting with new dishes.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Tom L
Houston, Texas
“Did Fung's Kitchen change the dim sum chef?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2012 via mobile

I have been going to Fungs's Kitchen for over 3 decades. I'd give them a A+ on dim sum. Today, Nov. 10, 2011, the quality is below par, the grade is a C--. Beef in the beef cheong fun is missing some spice; skin of (shrimp) har gow is sticky; even the food from thw dai Pai dong is substandard, etc, etc. Hope this will straighten out soon.

“Great time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2012

I don't think I've ever had truly authentic Chinese food, so I didn't really know what to expect dining out here for lunch with some friends in the know for the first time. I was actually there to attend and photograph a banquet which I did, but did not have time to eat at, so afterwards a couple of us went to the main dining area for lunch.

Although I did not eat at the banquet, the servers were very prompt and efficient in their service. Any time a guest needed something, or we needed some chairs or a table moved, they were more then helpful and polite about it.

The lunch later on was my first experience with this type of cuisine. My friends in the know, thankfully ordered, and ordered they did. I think by end, we had at least 20 dishes on the table. I kid you not, before the last drink order hit the table, the first round of food was arriving, and it did not stop. There was no time for anything to be cold. I do have to mention that during the lunch hour this place was filled with people, but by the time we got in there, we were only one of 3 tables in the entire restaurant and most of the staff was on a break between the shift, so we probably got the extremely good service. As with the banquet, the servers were very efficient, polite, everything was hot and delicious, and when we realized we were basically the only table left and moved to leave, the waitress told us there was no hurry whatsoever and that we should stay and chat, which was nice.The shark fin and shrimp dumplings were my favorite as were the bbq pork buns.

The only issue was parking. Unless you valet, you will be going round and round for a while during their busy lunch hours and dinner times. I literally got so tired of circling that I literally followed this lady to her car turn signal on the whole time. Everyone that came in for the party was griping about the parking, so be prepared.

• Visited October 2012