“Fine dining in a great atmosphere”
Review of Mark's American Cuisine - CLOSED

Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Neartown/ Montrose
Cross street: Dunlavy Street
Reviewed 31 May 2014

My husband, son and I celebrated a special occasion at Mark's last night. We dined in the newer addition to this repurposed church. It was quieter than the main hall and really lovely. Food was excellent, including a richly flavored lobster bisque and seasonal special white asparagus appetizer. We enjoyed our entrees, including two seasonal fish specials and duck. Pacing was excellent throughout the meal, neither lagging nor rushed. The warm chocolate cake shared three ways made for a nice ending to the meal. Mark's is pricey, so we'll save it for special occasions.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

My husband and I had dinner at Mark's this evening to celebrate our anniversary ... and what a great surprise it was. The restaurant was a church at one time, which you can see by the building and décor. It is absolutely beautiful and charming and has been arranged in a wonderful, intimate way. The meal was one of the best I've had when eating out. The service was perfect ... friendly and attentive, but not hovering and interrupting. Each course was delivered promptly and we were impressed with the entire meal. The highlight was when we ordered dessert ... we had mentioned that this was our 37th wedding anniversary to our waiter ... and when our dessert arrived, on the side of the plate (in chocolate) was written "Happy 37th Anniversary." So thoughtful and special. I can't recommend this restaurant enough for a wonderful, delicious meal, and also a beautiful atmosphere for a special occasion. You won't be disappointed!

1  Thank Anne_R_Hutson
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Went for dinner with my wife - food was superb. Location is a bit odd, being in the middle of Montrose, across from a tattoo parlour. I tried the veal porterhouse special, which was excellent. The complimentary bread was amazing too! Service was just okay - our waiter wasn't the most friendly.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

I was recently in houston for business and it was my wedding anniversary and this restaurant was reccommended. My wife had the ribeye and i had the filet. The ribeye had to be the best steak i have ever had. It was tender and seasoned well. My filet was very good but could have used some seasoning on it. I am from Louisiana and have to have some flavor. The steak was good it was just to bland for me. The dessert was also awesome and the wine selection good.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Went there for my birthday. I remember fondly the last time I ate there with some friends, also on my birthday, 3 years ago. I thought the food was superb and while expensive, the price was reasonable for the quality. This time, I was disappointed with the portion. I didn't expect a lot, but what we got was really small portions for the price. I don't remember it was so small 3 years ago. I can't say the food was not good, but I wish they would just give you a little bit more so that we could share. I didn't mean order 3 to share among 4. I mean have enough on my plate so that I can cut a small portion for somebody else to try. Didn't even feel like going back. Houston has plenty of good restaurants. Will look for another one.