“Very Good Meal”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Cross street: San Jacinto
Transit: Located conveniently downtown at the corner of San Jacinto and Prairie Street in Houston's most happening zip code, 77002, and only steps away from the Main Street Light Rail Transit Train.
Description: *17 is dedicated to offering guests bold, unpretentious food while focusing on the freshness, seasonality and origin of the ingredients. Since opening, the restaurant has received outstanding local, regional and national recognition including: Bon Appetit, Food & Wine, Gourmet, Town & Country, Travel+Leisure, USA Today and “Best New Restaurant” by Esquire. Texas Monthly rated #1 Where to eat now, “I like just being in *17, with its glittering crystal lights and sleek chocolate-and-white color scheme set off by froufrou red wallpaper on one side of the room.” Restaurant may be contacted at 832/200 8800
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We were trying to find a restaurant which would allow you to bring in your own wine and this one did. I guess it's a Texas liquor licensing issue - not a problem in Calif. "17" allows this, which was great. Our red wine paired very well with the luscious steaks served there. The service was attentive. We had eaten there years ago and it was pretty much the same.

Reviewed 28 February 2014

Well prepared, good coffee, nice European feel to dining room. All meals served. Right in Sam Houston Hotel.

Reviewed 27 February 2014

My colleagues and I were staying at The Sam Houston and gave the restaurant a try one night. We weren't too sure how the food would be since their breakfast buffet is only subpar, but it exceeded our expectations. I had the foie gras appetizer, soup of the day and snapper. Everything was delicious. Our server was attentive and helpful when recommending food and wine. It can be hard to expect too much from a hotel restaurant that you don't know much about, but judging from our whole stay experience, I'm not surprised we had a great dinner.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

We had a wonderful dinner on a Friday evening. It was quiet and not overly busy. The food was absolutely excellent. Our appetizers, I had the froie gras which I loved and my husband had a mushroom chowder that was fabulous. I tried a fish (which I don't usually do), Chobie. I was happy with my choice and the sides were excellent. My husband had the venison saddles...so tender, cooked rare to his request. We even opted for a dessert, the bread pudding and once again were delighted.

We had not been there in several years. Apparently they are under new owners so they are thinking about the decor, etc. We enjoyed every thing that was served..no complaints on anything. At this point, it is an excellent choice for a quiet, intimate dinner which can be hard to find these days.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

This place has nothing for vegetarians! It is located in the Sam Hotel, which is the worst hotel ever (see my review)! What I ate was: a smoothie, and chips with guacamole.They don't even have marinara sauce! I tried to get a pizza with it, but they only have truffle oil!They don't have anything for kids, either!Sucks!