“Terrible service , ok food.”
Review of Tony's

Tony's
Ranked #252 of 8,283 Restaurants in Houston
Price range: US$31 - US$200
Cuisines: European, French, Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
uae
“Terrible service , ok food.”
Reviewed 31 August 2014

After hearing so many wonderful things about Tony's we decided to try it tonight . Sadly I was not wowed! I thought it was good but it was definitely not fine dining or in my opinion upscale.
Yes Tony's has caviar, truffles, a sommelier , a Maître d and several waiters but that doesn't mean a thing.
Our night started off with a hostess who could not locate our reservation even though my husband called 30 minutes prior to indicate that we were going to be late. Once located and Upon being seated we were not welcomed to the restaurant. Our waiter did not greet us, pull my chair or push it in, he just asked if we would like a drink. My husband ordered one but I sat for 10 minutes waiting for someone to return to take my drink order.Someone did but it was not our waiter. Once delivered the drink was good.
I mentioned to our waiter that I would like to see the wine list so that I could order a glass of red to have with my meal however , I had to ask a second time when my first course arrived because my request was ignored.
Around our table hot bread was being delivered so I found myself asking for some as It was not being delivered to our table . When I did finally ask , I was told "sure you can have some but we usually serve it with your dinner" . Wow... !!! A simple yes of course was the only thing that I should have heard.

I am glad I asked because during our dinner the gentleman serving the bread never came by our table nor did our waiter to see how our meal was until we were almost finished . For as many waiters that were standing around not one could be bothered to come over to offer any hospitality.

I was also surprised to see that when red wine and pasta were spilt on the table by the waiter when serving that it was not covered up , nor was the table swept of crumbs after the first and second courses.

I would agree that the food is good and the portions a very healthy size but my husbands black berry crostata desert left little to be desired as it tasted mildly freezer burnt. So much so that he left a sizable portion on his plate. When one of the servers cleared our deserts , I mentioned to him that it was not very pleasing. He showed little regard if any , smiled and went on his way.
In a restaurant where most Entrees are over $40 like they are at Tony's I believe the matra d should have made a short visit to our table to offer an apology for such a poor quality desert.

Last but not least the waiters should not be so transparent when picking up the credit cards from the tables. This in and of itself is poor dining etiquette and a lack of professionalism.

The service at Tony's was terrible and the food quality was just ok.

“Tony's - Extraordinaire!”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Having always wanting to try Tony's, we tried it for HRW - - the experience was exceptional. Leisurely fine dining with superb service. We all tried the piave risotto as the appetizer - creamy, melt in your mouth delight - 2 of us had the Roasted duckling in bing cherries, with almond venetian black rice - - the duck was roasted to perfection and one of the best I've had - the black rice was rich,nutty and great with the duck. The other diner had the seared trout with blood orange emulsion - tasty but I liked the duck better. We all had the side of spinach aglio - fresh with sauteed garlic. For dessert I had the chocolate tuxedo cake - a tower of devil's food cake, mascarpone with chocolate mousse, heath crunch bar and a white chocolate swirl on top - a fine blend of flavors and went well with the strong coffee. The others savored the blackberry tart with praline ice cream - We could have lingered longer and enjoy the people watching, artful food delivery, flammable cherries jubilee, huge souffles. Tony's went above and beyond my expectations - - very enjoyable evening.

Houston, Texas
“My favorite in Houston - the best”
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Perfect for a business or friends lunch. Dinner very good. I eat there for business, social and special occasions. The best in Houston! Not trendy but upscale with a changing menu that gets better. Accommodating for any special diet.

Visited August 2014
Houston, Texas
“Underwhelming”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We took advantage of Houston Restaurant Weeks to satisfy our friend's bucket list item and dine at Tony's. Three of us had been before. I was not impressed on my previous visit and was less so this time. Three of us selected from the HRW menu; our friend chose items from the regular menu.

I enjoyed the Tuna Crudo, a snapper dish and chocolate cake for dessert. The tuna crude was delicious, the snapper was nicely prepared although a little heavy for my taste and the chocolate cake was good. We enjoyed two good wine selections which were reasonably priced. Overly good, but not great. Service was so-so. For the reputation and prices, I expect to be impressed.

Also, when we got our check, it was 3/5 the cost we anticipated. Upon review, we discovered that three charges had been left off bringing the bill from just over $200 to about $365. We alerted one of the wait team. He checked it and thanked us. Somehow that just felt a little empty and ungrateful…and very "un-classy."

Atlanta, Georgia
“Amazing attention to detail”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Went to Tony's for the first time in about 15 yrs and was blown away with the preparation and quality meal. The tastes were truly memorable. It does come with a price tag but well worth the splurge.