“Best Dosa in houston currently!”
Review of Shri Balaji Bhavan

Shri Balaji Bhavan
Ranked #1,193 of 8,287 Restaurants in Houston
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: Asian, Indian
Good for: Child-friendly
Description: For over 20 years, we have been serving Houston the best South Indian food this city has to offer. We strive in making the freshest and most authentic South Indian food! For the past 4 years we have made the Houston Chronicle, Alison Cook's Houston's Top 100 restaurants, and for 2016 the Houston Press named us as the best Indian restaurant in Houston, Texas. Have you had your Dosa yet? No? Don't wait, come in and dine with us today!!!
“Best Dosa in houston currently!”
Reviewed 17 June 2013

The dosas here are just superb!!
In fact, anything we eat here has always tasted excellent.
The place is so busy throughout the day. Once we reached at 9Pm; and they were literally running out of food.!!

Superb food. If you want a hole-in-the-wall Indian restaurant, then this is it!!

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank snod73

Dallas, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Cheap but extremely tasty food”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

This restaurent serves delicious spicy south indian food at low prices. The only thing that I wish they could improve is the look and feel of the place. The seats are not comfortable and the service is spotty. If you care only about food then its the best.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Anshuman J
Houston, Texas
“Amazing vegetarian food at great prices”
Reviewed 1 April 2013

Another top ethnic food gem in Houston. I have been here many times with friends, family, and kids. And it has been delicious and affordable every time. Yes, it can get crowded, but for a good reason. I consider it a good sign that it is usually full of Indians, who know what this food should taste like. It is not fast food. Take your time and enjoy the place. The dahi puri is like an explosion of deliciousness--you must try it. Get a few plates to share and you will be happy and full for well under $10/person.

• Visited March 2013
North Houston, Texas
“Average fare”
Reviewed 24 January 2013

I had high expectations of this place with it getting rave reviews from friends but found the fare to be average. Chaat was ok, not that great, mysore dosa and pesarettu were fine too. The place is always packed and the wait time is long. It was really loud too when we went. I would not recommend going here with young kids.

• Visited December 2012
Silverthorne, Colorado
“AUTHENTIC and BEST south Indian vegetarian food”
Reviewed 20 January 2013

I've been to Indian restaurants around the world and of course, in India--too much emphasis is given to ambience, atmosphere, service, utensils and place settings, and very little to the actual taste of a particular cuisine--whether it is Indian, Chinese, Mexican, the taste craved for by those who come from those lands, they don't much care for the setting, they want what mom used to make, or what it should taste like if they had time to prepare it with care...true, no substitute for "home-cooked", but I think Balaji Bhavan approximates it as well as any restaurant I have seen.

The menu is ample--they have several rice dishes (lemon rice, tamarind, coconut, yogurt, tomato, etc), idlis, vadas and dosas are as good as they come--you could imagine eating these at a popular place in Chennai or Bangalore. The sambar--well, it is as authentic as it gets--thick, properly spiced with ample vegetables, lentil/tamarind based as it should be, not made from a mix or powder in most "north" Indian places....I am amazed how consistent it is no matter how many different times I go there.

It is a simple place, busy, you place your order at the counter, take a number and wait for it to be called, or many times they bring the food out to you as it is ready. I find myself ordering way too much, but never have I left with a doggie bag...the food does not bloat you and make you feel remorseful as many grease filled Indian dishes often do. It is steaming hot, fresh and tasty.

I even have room to try deserts (laddu at the counter is just like you get it in Hindu temples)--I recommend you buy the four-packs of laddus, the sandwch bag of "mixture" and plantain chips (about $2.50 a piece), they make terrific snacks.

I noticed that the orders are taking much longer to make/process and serve, but, hey, having the taste of authentic south Indian food, worth the wait. I notice others writing about how they didn't like chaat, or dahi puri, or some other typically north Indian dishes...if you want that...go elsewhere, for you really don't know your culinary geography too well....oh well!

I would highly recommend going here if you want to try great food, at a reasonable setting and price, but if you want to have a business meeting or a romantic dinner with wine, waiters and mood lighting, wrong place. More of a family place...with all the noises and sounds and languages of India mixed in with the clangs of dishes and tables.

Bon appetit!!