“Great place for french food that won't break the bank. They pastries are wonderful. The butter cookies are so good.”

No photo provided
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Reviewed 27 July 2008

Reviewed 19 May 2008

First off, let me say that this is not the same Andre's as it was ten years ago. The current owners have made many changes (for the worse, in my opinion) even as to go so far as changing the name and logo. It's now called Thierry Andre Tellier Cafe & Pastry Shop. What an insult to the true Andre's. I cannot comprehend why they would even do such a thing. As the old saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." This is certainly the case here. Andre's had been an icon here in Houston for several decades. There was only one location-in River Oaks. Now there are two. The menu was straightforward and simple. There were no "fancy" items. There were standards like lasagna and quiche. Now it's French items that don't even live up to French standards. The service is downright terrible. I don't know where they find these servers. Granted they are just servers but the "old" Andres had a waitstaff who had been there for years-people who knew your name and face and would always give you wonderful service. You won't find that today. The only thing that seems to be unchanged is the pastries and desserts (thank heavens that didn't change!). If the current owners wanted to open their own "French" bakery and cafe they should have done so from stratch - not take a landmark and "mutate" it into something that they "envision". I remember reading an article in the local paper talking about the sale of Andre's from the previous owner to the current owners. One of the conditions or clauses of the sales that the previous owner had made to the current owner was to keep things the same and not make any changes. I don't know if this condition/clause had an expiration period but it's obvious that the current owners have greatly deviated from this agreement. I remember how heartbroken I felt when I heard that Andre's had been sold. I had a gut feeling that's things would not be the same under the new ownership. And, unfortunately, I was right. While I feel many of today's customers do not know the history of Andre's (or for that matter may not even care) there are still those of us who miss the old Andre's and wish it could come back. I know one way to satisfy my wish is to visit the location in Denver. My understanding is that ownership and operations are the same there as they have been for so many. Lucky Denver!

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 12 February 2008

service isn't too good but pastries are

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 27 December 2007

thery also have great breakfast

Reviewed 1 September 2005

I felt I just had to re-review Andres after visiting this cozy River Oaks oasis last Saturday. I just can't stay away from this place. In spite of the fact that my previous visit had left me with a sour feeling about some of the service and the food, my association with Andres has stretched out over 14 years, so I was determined not to give up so easily, as I had really grown very found of this French/Swiss bakery and restaurant. I have always had a love affair with the French and French food, so one could say that my previous comments on Aug. 15th were more of a "lovers quarrel". I can forgive the French anything if they feed me well. So, all is forgiven after my last Saturday's wonderful beef bourguignon and unbelievable dessert of a chocolate/grand marnier mousse with powdered sugar and raspberries on top. I have come to realize that in the restaurant business, some days are good days and some days are not so good. Needless to say, this last visit warmed "mon coeur" (my heart), and everything was excellent. The wine sauce on the beef bourguignon was to die for, and that dessert made the serotonin levels of my brain hit the heights of heaven.....it was manifique !!! I plan to contine my love affair with Andres, now knowing that every relationship with either people or food has its' ups and downs. Vive Andres Pasty Shop and Cafe!!