“Love Thai Village”

Cuisines: Thai
Neighbourhood: University Place
Neighbourhood: University Place
Reviewed 18 January 2013

I have eaten at Thai Village many times in the past four years during frequent trips to Houston, and I just love it. It is definitely not the swankiest Thai restaurant around but the quality of the food is very good. My husband is not as big a lover of Thai cuisine as I am, but this is also one of his favorite restaurants because he adores the Thai Sweet & Sour chicken. We usually eat here at dinner and my favorite appetizers and soups are the Tom Kha Gai soup, the chicken satay, Thai spring rolls and the pork steamed dumplings. For the main course (all with either tofu or chicken), red curry, panang curry, green curry and chicken or tofu with peanut sauce. My daughters (both vegetarian) are fans of the Pad See Ewe and the Pad Thai with tofu. One very nice thing about Thai Village is that it is extremely vegetarian friendly in that most dishes on the menu are available with tofu. They also usually ask anyone who orders a tofu dish whether "egg is okay" so I assume they are willing to to ensure their dishes are acceptable to vegans, too. Occasionally, we are here for lunch on a weekday and then Thai Village offers a buffet. Of course, the food is never quite as good when it has been out on a buffet line, but what I love about the buffet is the chance to try a bite or two of lots of different dishes. I have tried all of their salads on the buffet and enjoyed all of them, especially the green mango salad. Their satay is also very good on the buffet. They often have my favorite Tom Kha soup wtih the buffet. It is definitely true that the restaurant could use significant updating and repair, but if you are more interested in a casual meal with great food n a restaurant that isn't usually too crowded (in always-crowded Rice Village), give Thai Village a try. I've eaten in many, many Thai restaurants and if you are willing to look beyond the surroundings, Thai Village offers good value and great food.

Reviewed 20 November 2012

We were not familiar with the Houston area and the van from the Rotary Hotel took us to Rice Village where we found this restaurant. Service and price were excellent. I was not that adventurous as I usually am, so my wife and I each had Pad Thai. My wife love it. And with a little addition of Sriracha, I loved mine also. I recommend this resaurant

Reviewed 5 April 2012

The Thai Village had good service and good food, which equals good value. I ordered "Family Happiness" and my spouse ordered "Claypot Seafood"; both were good and provided in quantities sufficient to make a second meal. The decor is authentic, and the waiters all appeared to be Thai, but the restaurant is in sad need of a makeover, from the floors to the ceiling tiles.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook